Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2022 11:38:26 AM EDT

https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/newsroom/articles/year-2022/sarin-nerve-gas-gulf-war-illness.html

"Dr. Haley’s research group not only discovered that veterans with exposure to sarin were more likely to develop GWI, but also found that the risk was modulated by a gene that normally allows some people’s bodies to better break down the nerve gas. Gulf War veterans with a weak variant of the gene who were exposed to sarin were more likely to develop symptoms of GWI than other exposed veterans who had the strong form of the gene.

“Quite simply, our findings prove that Gulf War illness was caused by sarin, which was released when we bombed Iraqi chemical weapons storage and production facilities,” said Dr. Haley, a medical epidemiologist who has been investigating GWI for 28 years. “There are still more than 100,000 Gulf War veterans who are not getting help for this illness and our hope is that these findings will accelerate the search for better treatment.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#1]
It does make sense. Some allied NBC vehicles/equipment did detect nerve agents. And I know that some chemicals were blown up when we were clearing bunkers after the cease fire was called. I have seen other studies that also link the anti nerve agent pills that we had to take for causing GWS.

The St Louis VA sent me to the Gulf War Injury Clinic at the Washington DC VA back in 2005 or 2006 to figure out my unexplained body pains and muscle weakness. Both St Louis and DC VA hospitals determined that I have fibromyalgia. I still have the paperwork given to me at the GWIC which stated fibromyalgia is more prevalent in males that served in the Persian Gulf. Fibromyalgia outside of the military predominately effects women.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I have strange skin issues ever since coming back.

hives pop up and then disappear as I look at them.

Really strange.

A friend of mine is the county VA officer and he says I really need to go in and have a disability work up done.

Loss of hearing, Gall bladder out at 30, skin issues.

He keeps saying we were poisoned and need to get taken care of, but I just haven't done it
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Clarinath:
I have strange skin issues ever since coming back.

hives pop up and then disappear as I look at them.

Really strange.

A friend of mine is the county VA officer and he says I really need to go in and have a disability work up done.

Loss of hearing, Gall bladder out at 30, skin issues.

He keeps saying we were poisoned and need to get taken care of, but I just haven't done it
View Quote

Yes you absolutely NEED to apply for Disability Comp and get a disability rating.  Hearing loss/tinnitus is an automatic 10%. I was lucky that I did not have the skin issues but I know a lot of guys that do and their rashes, blisters and such are classic signs of being exposed to chemical agents.
Top Top