Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 2:05:36 PM EDT
Here for a week. What is a single man to do in this town?

I'm on the River Walk, what is cool? Best eats? Best drinkie drinkie?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#1]
from someones sig line
you eat de juicy taco
you drink de cheap wine
you dance with fat guadalahara cow!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Dicks Last Resort - late at night...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Take a lady to dinner at Tower of the Americas, the huge space needle looking thing.  If you are staying at a hotel around there, your concierge will arrange for the TOA van to come pick you up.  No charge, but it is nice to tip the driver.  The meals are reasonable up there.  It slowly rotates.  This time of year, show up for dinner about 7:30 pm, watch the sunset, the city lights come on.

***Sorry, just found out it is closed for major renovation, but put this on your "to do" list next time.***

On the Riverwalk... go down to The Landing... you will recognize it for having old musical instruments hanging from the umbrellas over the outdoor tables.  There is a jazz radio show on NPR, I think, Jim Cullum's The Landing.  In the evenings usually a jazz duo or trio, and more inside.  Look at all the pictures on the walls inside.  Go up the stairs to the bathroom, there is a great picture of Satchmo... IM me and I'll tell you what that is about.    Well, if you are a jazz fan, that is.

Take a tour on one of the boats.

You aren't far from the Alamo.  Call home, tell them to look up San Antonio on the internet, and find the "Alamo cam".  Call them so they know when to look, and wave at them from in front of the Alamo.

www.sanantoniocvb.com/visitors/web_cam.asp   (it is not active right now, but usually is)  Don't bother trying to find the camera, we never did.  It is across the street somewhere.

At one time or another I have stayed at nearly all of the hotels in that area, Hilton Palacio Del Rio, Marriot, others.  All nice.

Go down to the "Mexican Market", get a cab, and eat at La Margarita's.  Usually live entertainment.  You MUST try the fajitas!

Ask anyone for directions to anything, seems like they are all trained tour guides, truly proud of their city.  I really like San Antonio, in case you can't tell.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I've heard Durty Nelly's is pretty cool.  

It sucks that the tower is closed... that would have been a cool place to check out.  

Just wander around the riverwalk for a while after dark.  You'll find something you like, trust me.

You'd think someone living there would give you all the answers, but I seriously don't know.  I NEVER go downtown anymore.  If you head over to the Northwest side that's a different story.  I could recommend places there.  And if you feel like going shooting I know of a good place too (that's if you didn't fly and were able to carry).
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#6]
There are always hookers and blow.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#8]
There are lots of good eateries all over San Damtonio. River Walk is fun but commercial. Go see the Alamo. Its gun history right at your fingertips. County Line is very good for a chain. Get their big dinosaur sized ribs. Papadeauxs is a happenin place after work. Get a big mess of crawdads and oysters and have some grande' marguaritas.

Then go to PT's Showclub. Take lots of ones.

Some Texan buddies took me to a C&W dance hall. It was very interesting - just like being at a short track raceway. It looked like everybody was trying to pass on the outside. I forget the name of the place but the subtitle was something like "A whole acre of dancin and glancin". Definitely not kansas anymore. My buddies abandoned me there. I called a cab and left when all the dancers pitted.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Go see IT

Or leave on the next bus because you are not worthy.  

A visit to IT should be mandatory.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#10]
If you go to the Alamo, don't forget to check out the basement.  If you can't find it, just ask one of the tour guides.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you go to the Alamo, don't forget to check out the basement.  If you can't find it, just ask one of the tour guides.

heh heh, that's where they store the WMD's right?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Dirty Nell's
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yep they are right around the corner from pee wees bike

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Here for a week. What is a single man to do in this town?

I'm on the River Walk, what is cool? Best eats? Best drinkie drinkie?

Thanks!

Mexican wemanz
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Definitely Dick's.  At the end of the Riverwalk.  
Definitely go see the Alamo.

Be careful at night.

+1

And Fat Tuesday's
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't go clubbing at the Bonham Exchange.  

ETA:  On the Riverwalk, I'm partial to County Line for baby back ribs.  Rio Rio / The Naked Iguana is good for Mexican food, and Schilo's is an awesome German deli.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Liberty Bar,  US281 at Josephine St exit, west side of the highway.   Damn good food & unique, not a bar in the usual sense, really just a restaurant.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Join the Minuteman and report all the illegals
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Join the Minuteman and report all the illegals

Oh, come on.  He said he's only going to be there for a week -- not the rest of his life!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#23]
If you run into David Robinson, get him to autograph something for me, will ya?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I got a "hoochie-mamma" friend that lives there, I can call her later tonight and provide you with update, but I don't think I'll get that done until tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'll never understand why people like this place.  Pay money and get shit from the waitstaff.  Sounds like a GREAT time.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll never understand why people like this place.  Pay money and get shit from the waitstaff.  Sounds like a GREAT time.

it's fun.  i guess you didn't like the hat they made you wear?

it's the only place i know of where a waitress can tell you to go fuck yourself and not get fired...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:06:48 PM EDT
[#27]
on the Riverwalk check out Howl at the Moon
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I was in San Antonio back in late May. Check out the Riverwalk, lots of places to eat, and the shopping mall is not half bad. The Alamo is a must. Be ready for hot, humid and sticky weather. Dirty Nelly's is a cool bar dressed up to look like an Irish pub and there is a good Italian restaurant right next to the mall on the Riverwalk, just as you walk out of the foodcourt. It is right next to the Tony Romas.

If you have some free time, drive out to see the Natural Bridge caves.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's the only place i know of where a waitress can tell you to go fuck yourself and not get fired...

Nope, *I* have never been to Dick's.  I wouldn't go to a place where the waitress can tell me to fuck off and not get fired.  Again, pay to have her do that?  No thanks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
If you run into David Robinson, get him to autograph something for me, will ya?

Oh yeah, he's a minister now at a church going out toward Boerne.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, *I* have never been to Dick's.  I wouldn't go to a place where the waitress can tell me to fuck off and not get fired.  Again, pay to have her do that?  No thanks.

I've heard it's not as bad as people make it out to be.  They're not utterly malicious.  They can't say anything racist, sexual or personal (calling someone fat or ugly).  And they don't really put up an act unless they get the vibe from you that you'll go along with it.

EDIT:  There's a Hooters just outside the Rivercenter Mall.  I'm a girl, I'm not sure if guys actually dig Hooters but just an idea.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, pee wee's bike stupid.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#32]
+1

ETA: Like cigars? Go to the mall on the riverwalk and on the second floor you can visit a cigar shop where the are often rooling cigars in the open store.

Cigar Store

Quoted:
on the Riverwalk check out Howl at the Moon

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Midnite Rodeo, if they're still in business anyhow.  

Also make your way to the jailhouse cafe for a nice cinnamon roll.  

Taco Cabana for some beef fajitas.    

The things I miss most about SA.  

Oh yeah, the chickie snax..... damn the chickie snax.....  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

And they love it when you get psycho on them.  Really.  They can dish it out, but most cannot take it.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aw, come on now...It isn't that bad.  I had many a great time there.  They don't do that unless you start something with them...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Taco Cabana has sort of gone downhill, ever since they were bought by some out-of-state conglomerate...

Taco Tote is the new champion of Tex-Mex fast food.

For breakfast tacos, both the Jim's and Bill Miller restaurant chains have 'em cheap-n-plenty.

BTW, if you're going to be in town next weekend, check out the Saxet gun show at the Airport Convention Center (located on Broadway, half a block north of Loop 410).
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Taco Cabana has sort of gone downhill, ever since they were bought by some out-of-state conglomerate...

Taco Tote is the new champion of Tex-Mex fast food.

For breakfast tacos, both the Jim's and Bill Miller restaurant chains have 'em cheap-n-plenty.

BTW, if you're going to be in town next weekend, check out the Saxet gun show at the Airport Convention Center (located on Broadway, half a block north of Loop 410).

No "sort of".  It is like any chain now.  Taco Cabana now sucks almost as much as Taco Bell.  

Back when it was run by the original owners (who are NOT Hispanic), it was awesome.  First location was on San Pedro Avenue at Hildebrand, just north of SAC.  

But if burgers are more your fare, be damn sure to give Chester's a try.  Beer and burgers, several locations.  Still managed correctly and very high quality, easy-going fare.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#38]
mmm used to eat at chesters in Universal City at least once a week.   damn I miss the food from SA.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Ft. Sam Houston several neat little museums, Geronimo tower, Old fort etc.  

Museum at Lackland AFB the B-24 wind tunnel model was made by my Grandfather.

As noted the Alamo and River walk are good for killing time after you've seen the above listings.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, pee wee's bike stupid.

No, there was a thread on DU about the WMDs and the fact that when Bush was Gov
he stored some there secretly.   I can't find the link, it was pretty funny.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Start drinking at Hooters at the Rivercenter Mall, and work your way down the river bar by bar.  If you make it to Dick's you've done well.  Get a slushee from the tropical drink company (TDC) and stumble up to the street for some air.  Freak out because you're drunk and staring at the Alamo.  It is supposed to be in the middle of the desert, not downtown.  Stumble back down the stairs to tell everybody at TDC that the alamo is right up there (pointing towards the street).  Get kicked out of TDC.  Walk back towards the river through the huge atrium in a hotel I can't remember the name of.  Fall into the fountain there.  Stumble out to the river after climbing out of the fountain.  Bump into some fellow Marines walking towards Dicks and decide to join them.  Have a few more at Dick's.  Get kicked out of Dick's.  Decide collectively to "swim" in the river (It's shallow by the way).  Have the cops called on you.  Run for 4 blocks and flag down 4 cabs before one is willing to allow 6 drunk, soaking wet, jarheads ride in the cab.  Wake up the next morning with your first hangover ever, repeat every weekend.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
But if burgers are more your fare, be damn sure to give Chester's a try.  Beer and burgers, several locations.  Still managed correctly and very high quality, easy-going fare.

Is Chris Madrid's still around?  DAMN fine burgers.

My wife used to SWEAR by Sills(?) Snack Shack.  The Original Bean Burger, IIRC.  They closed down a few years ago, though.

OH!  And go eat some barbacoa at "El Milagrito".  

Dammit, I need to take a weekend to go back down to San Antonio and just EAT.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#43]
FiveO, There's a reason that Austinites wear a shirt saying "Keep Austin Wierd," but San Antonians wear one saying, "Keep San Antonio Lame". I'm shooting my AK-74 and Cetme at the range this afternoon if you're free.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is Chris Madrid's still around?  DAMN fine burgers.

My wife used to SWEAR by Sills(?) Snack Shack.  The Original Bean Burger, IIRC.  They closed down a few years ago, though.

OH!  And go eat some barbacoa at "El Milagrito".  

Dammit, I need to take a weekend to go back down to San Antonio and just EAT.

I've eaten at Chris Madrid's many times.  They're still there, but I've never understood why everyone likes them so much.  Their burgers are not great -- they're just big.  It's the same ol' ingredients cooked the same ol' way as your ordinary mundane generic burger, but bigger.  Give me a Whataburger any day . . . or Chester's.  Maybe it's just me, though.

But for something different, EZ's has the best beanburger on the planet, bar none.  Oh what I would do right now for a beanburger and onion rings from EZ's.  

Only thing is none of these places are on the river per the original stipulation.

[Edited to Spelling-Nazi myself.]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Is Lindsay, the man who looks like a woman who wears Ben Hur attire and whom pushes around a cart with anti-cop stuff on it still on 6th?

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#46]
two words

coyote ugly
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Durty Nellys is pretty freaking cool. Had a blast there! Never seen a lassarita before!

Nice town.

I hate to say this but I wish I'd brought along the wife and daughter... Nice family thing going on here as well.

But since I didn't, I'm gonna look into hookers and blow tonight...

Thanks for the advice, y'all. Gonne hit a few of the suggested places this week.

Alamo tomorrow as we are having a short day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top