Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2010 2:21:53 PM EDT
I gave in and picked up an Android smartphone today.  Went with the Samsung Vibrant.

So....what good Arfcom stuff do I need to put on this bad boy?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:34:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Huh.  Seriously?  Nobody has a droid based phone in here?

Oh well.

I was surfing the mobile version of arf a bit.  Even with the zoom feature, dang!  That is a tiny little webpage!
Used the evil google's latitude dealie to stalk and track down some friends around town last night, that is kind of handy (and spooky).
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#2]
No reason to use the mobile version on Android. Unless you have trouble logging in, which some people do. In which case, you go to the mobile site, then log in, then go to the full site and you will be good to go.

I surf Arfcom, and every other site I use on my laptop from my HTC Droid Incredible, zero issues. Actually just as easy as using my laptop, and now that I got the 2.2 (Froyo) update, I get the full experience, including Flash.

Tons of threads on Arf already pertaining to Android. It is an awesome platform and I am so glad I waited for one as opposed to going to AT&T for an Iphone. I would have just as soon done without a smartphone before doing the AT&T/Iphone route.

Dont know much about your particular phone. What are the specs? Either way, you will love Android.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I picked up my Samsung Vibrant last month.  Good phone, will be even better if Samsung gets off their ass and releases an update that fixes the GPS and compass.  

This thread will help you out:

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I picked up my Samsung Vibrant last month.  Good phone, will be even better if Samsung gets off their ass and releases an update that fixes the GPS and compass.  

This thread will help you out:

That seems to be one of the major complaints about Samsung phones. They are incredibly slow to release updates. They do however offer one of the most beautiful displays available. The OLED displays, my Incredible has one and that has been one of the root causes of getting Incredibles off the backorder list and into folks hands.

Does the Samsung Vibrant have an AMOLED or Super AMOLED?

HTC isnt the fastest about getting updates either. I just finally received Froyo on Friday. Delayed about a month from what I can tell. Of course, one could always root and get it that way, but it wasnt that big a deal to me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Super AMOLED, 1GHz cpu, 16GB mem, 5mp camera.

And yeah, the screen is awesome!  Samsung makes the best screens in the cell phone and PC monitor markets. IMHO.  My last 3 phones have been samsungs almost exclusively because of the nice screens.

So far I am digging the phone.  I'm a IT guy/gadget freak, and all my friends have been running droids or iPhones for a couple years.  I am about the last one to jump on the wagon.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:28:10 AM EDT
[#6]
There's a few bug fixes for the GPS online , although it hasn't completely fixed the issue for my phone.

The video camcorder quality to me has been one of the most impressive things. Going from a g1 to a Vibrant has been quite a interesting experience , like a completely different phone even though they both run android.

I haven't put too much on my phone yet, other than a SNES emulator, I'd like to get the overclock/underclock utility. I'm a bit unimpressed with battery life, I'm trying to remedying that by building a mobile recharger system.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:45:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got
Astro (file manager)
Barcode Scanner
Google Skymap
Radar Now
Weatherbug
Compass
Open Soduku
MotoTorch (uses camera flash LED as flashlight)
Autorotate (screen auto-rotate on/off toggle)
Periodic Table
My Paper Plane (pretty cool paper airplane demo)
Rehearsal Assistant (voice recorder)
KeePassDroid (pretty good password storehouse; has companion desktop program)  
FancyWidget (clone of HTC clock/weather home screen widget)

K9 Mail - been back and forth with this one;  currently NOT using

All the above are free and available in the Market

Moto Droid 2
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:45:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got the Captivate (at&t version). Great phone, I'm constantly changing apps,widgets,you name it.

Also here's what most of us here have been saying on the android phones.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top