Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2003 6:55:41 AM EDT
it was the truth. After all he made all MEN equa;. Nope guns don't make women on the same level as men. Read it here:

[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=679&ncid=742&e=14&u=/usatoday/20030611/cm_usatoday/5231346 [/url]

CRC
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:58:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:59:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a woman that still believes the VPC/Brady Bunch lies.  They seem to think a badguy or 'partner' will simply overpower a woman and take her gun from her.  So what happens when the woman blows that mofo away first?  False confidence?  A gun is just a tool, but it still relies on it's user to be effective.  

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:02:53 AM EDT
[#3]
The solution is simple:

Train women to not just know how to handle a firearm, but train them in weapon retention skills in addition to scenario training that has them shooting their attacker before their attacker gets close enough to grab the gun.

Hesitation is any gun owner's worst enemy.  When the time comes, you shoot.  To do otherwise is to put yourself in jeopardy.  

I don't doubt that your average woman is more reluctant to shoot someone than the average man. So any woman who chooses to carry a gun needs to have that reluctance trained completely out of her.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:33:58 AM EDT
[#4]
In reality, according to a new study by the University of California at Davis, women who own handguns are more than twice as likely to be murdered with a firearm by their partners than those who do not.
View Quote

This is so meaningless that I don't know where to begin.  

1) If guns are in the house, they are likely to be chosen as the [i]tool[/i] if a [i]person[/i] chooses to commit a murder.  

2) It says nothing about attacks by other people.  Who buys a gun to defend themselves from their partner?  If you think you need one, ditch the partner.

3) It says nothing about how often the women deterred assault or other crimes, either actively or passively (tough to measure).

we had reclaimed our right to feel safe while depending only on our own bodies.
View Quote

Well, I'm glad they "feel safe".  I guess that's what it's all about, right?  I think practical unarmed martial arts are just as important as knowing how to shoot, but give me a break.  If the BG is 50 feet away and has a gun, your unarmed skills mean very little.  If these poor ladies feel any different, they need to step out of their fantasy feel-good world and in to the real one.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:41:37 AM EDT
[#5]
This column is friggin ridiculous!  First she says that if a woman carries a gun, the gun will be useless because the man will take it from her and use it.

Then she goes on to say how great self-defense is for women.  What a crock!

Hmmm, so an unarmed woman who went through a weekend self-defense seminar is more prepared to deal with a larger attacker than a woman with a gun?!?!

I'm all for women taking self-defense classes, but if I were a woman, I would use my self defense to create enough of an opening to grab my pepper spray or gun.

This editorialist goes beyond bad politics, women could wind up dying if they're foolish enough to follow her shitty advice!

"Yeah, I'm a 110 lb woman, and I'm going to go hand to hand with the 250 lb. hoodlum swinging a lead pipe at me!  At least I don't have a gun he could take and use against me, but I do have my self-defense training any my street smarts!"

Yeah, babe, your street smarts are about to be splattered all over the sidewalk!

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Just once, in those womens self defence classes where they put a guy in 6 inches of padding and have him waddle toward the women and they proceed to kick the crap out of him, I'd like to see a guy who behaved like a motivated attacker.  That would give the women a realistic idea of how helpless they really are.  I do not intend to put women down in general.  I believe as 170 lb man I would have the same problem with 250 pound attacker in unarmed combat as a woman would have with an attacker that weighed almost 50% more she did.  

But the "attackers" lumber on, giving the women a false feeling of security.  "Yeah I'm tough I can beat up a guy that's lumbering like Frankenstein toward me."  If they ever took the time to watch the real life videos they show on TV of convenience store robberies they'ld see they have less then a second to realize what is happening and get in the one blow that will decide if they are raped or killed or survive "unscathed".  I doubt many women without extensive training can deliver that kind of decicive blow.

My $0.02,

Kent
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:49:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#8]
makes me sick, Yeah OC and street fighting will kill the badguy but a gun no way.

Ok here is a little sexism if you can find me a average women my weight 170 who can kick my ass I will be very suprised. I am not a big guy but still men have more strength than women and your average women isn't going to weight 170.

We had this debate in my college class on guns this is what I said in a reply to "no one needs a gun get a bat or a knife"

So some ex con (rapist) gets out of prison after serving 5yrs of his 15yr sentance and is looking for a sweet little college girl. He follows u into your apartment and tries to have his way with you he has been lifting weights for the last 5 years and is 210lbs and you want to fight him off with a bat??? wouldn't you like a gun?  

the girls on the anti side just shut up and the professor was like "well the 2nd is for militias and we have National Guard"
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#9]
you will notice they said partner and not a boyfriend or husband.....the violence between lesbians is appalling and usually involves a weapon...whereas in male-female violence it is usually hands.......
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#10]
This is the typical anti-gunner attitude towards women... sexist as hell, by the way, even if it *was* written by a woman.

"Pepper spray is oh so effective and will save your life! It will drop the biggest strongest man in an instant! Or take a martial arts class! That always works in the movies!

But a little .357 will only be taken away from you and may piss off your attacker even if you manage to shoot him with it."

It's almost like they *want* women to be vulnerable. I just don't get it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tell me again, why do we let them vote?????
View Quote

[slap]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I guess they never read the USMC Rules for Gunfighting, especially rule number 10

10. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should
have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#14]
She rases some good points but misses on many others. An Ex-GF of mine took a self defence class after it she felt rather confident that she could handle any attacker. Till the night outside my apartment when she had to and all the crap she learned didn't work, for some reason the 6foot 280lb guy attacking her didn't seem phased by anything she kicked him square in the nads aobut three times,he was coked up and that just pissed him off even more. my roommate heard the commotion went and took a look and than ran back into the apartment and called the cops. Than he told the guy to get the hell off my girl in that wonderful universal language of pump action 12ga. I got home from work right as the cops were showing up I was pissed as hell. I bought here a little snubby 357 for her birthday a week later and  clases that covered not only how to shoot but also weapon retention. And a few other things.  Man i really miss that little .357.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tell me again, why do we let them vote?????
View Quote

Stupidity on the part of deceased ancestors! [;)]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top