Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2017 8:47:45 AM EDT
Is it safe to function test, say, a .22lr single shot rifle, by pulling the bullet and powder, and just firing off the primer? Obviously pointed in a safe direction.

I have an old Savage 24 .22lr/.410 over under, and I want to see if the hammer is hitting the .22lr firing pin ok.

No time to hit the range in the next few weeks unfortunately. Figured I could do this in my basement.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Muzzle control. Make sure bore is clear.  Then it should be safe.

BTW, there are 22 blanks for nail guns.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I would point the gun in a bucket full of sand and wear eye and ear protection. I still wouldn't do that in my house tbh, I don't think it's very smart.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:55:38 AM EDT
[#3]
So long as the bullet is pulled or the blank I suggested is used, there should be no problem.  Eyes, ears and no bore obstruction.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
This has always made me wonder, as "blanks" are technically banned in some areas/cities (especially discharging one), yet construction workers can buy them by the box load and discharge them anywhere.   I have a ram set nailing system like that with the auto loading pistol to set nails into concrete, and I have always been curious as the explanation of that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:02:56 AM EDT
[#5]
You could also just use a spent case too, just mark the previous strike with sharpie, so you can tell the strikes apart 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#6]
And wear earpro.  Primed only cases are still very loud.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Pulling the trigger on a chambered empty 22 case will show you how well the firing pin is hitting. No need to pull bullets or buy blanks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I have "pulled" .22lr bullets and filled the case with soap and shot the shit out of it when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#9]
If there is no projectile, there is no projectile.

Don't point it at anything valuable and fire away.

Bunch of scared ninnies around here.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:13:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Pulling a bullet, dumping powder and firing a primer on an empty case is one of the many test steps I do when I assemble an AR from parts.  I want to make sure the hammer is striking properly and hard enough to fire the primer.  I also do the already fired primer and case with tape over it, but that's the step before the live primer.  I have a bunch of other steps that I won't bore you with.

I wear eyes, ears and put the muzzle into a hole in a large empty cardboard box.  They are very loud.  I do it in my garage workshop.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Seemed to work!

Wore ear pro but I didn't really hear anything at all...just a little puff of smoke from the chamber area. Primer appears to be dented ok.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Done it many times.

Just make sure no obstructions are in the barrel, point in a safe direction and let'er rip.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:17:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have "pulled" .22lr bullets and filled the case with soap and shot the shit out of it when I was a kid.
View Quote
Now that's a novel concept. Put a bore brush onto it and clean your gun at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:18:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#15]
You'll put your eye out!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:25:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I stopped at Model 24. That was my first gun. Still have it. My boys will learn to shoot with it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:25:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was more worried about hurting the old gun somehow. Ya never know with old guns made 80 years ago ya know?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
And wear earpro.  Primed only cases are still very loud.
View Quote
This.  First time I popped some 209 primers in an inline muzzleloader it was a bit of shock.  Glad I decided to go outside!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:30:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I wear eyes, ears and put the muzzle into a hole in a large empty cardboard box.  They are very loud.  I do it in my garage workshop.
View Quote
Do you have that box on a Form 1?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Pulling a bullet, dumping powder and firing a primer on an empty case is one of the many test steps I do when I assemble an AR from parts.  I want to make sure the hammer is striking properly and hard enough to fire the primer.  I also do the already fired primer and case with tape over it, but that's the step before the live primer.  I have a bunch of other steps that I won't bore you with.

View Quote
Does the cardboard box act to reduce the noise?  Might be a good idea to keep the noise down for the neighbors where I live.  I shoot a fair bit of muzzleloader, so firing off caps on a blank chamber is fairly frequent for me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Just FYI...there was ZERO noise with a 22lr rim fire primer. Just a touch if smoke. I'm guessing rim fire primers are pretty weak.

It was nothing like a blank, or even a nail gun. Nada.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Now that's a novel concept. Put a bore brush onto it and clean your gun at the same time.
View Quote
OK....Now that was funny
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just FYI...there was ZERO noise with a 22lr rim fire primer. Just a touch if smoke. I'm guessing rim fire primers are pretty weak.

It was nothing like a blank, or even a nail gun. Nada.
View Quote
All the times I've done it, there's been a nice little *pop*.

If you're ever pulling bullets and doing this just for fun, some day when you've just dumped the powder and still have the bullet in your hand, you may think "I wonder what would happen if I push the bullet back in and shoot it that way."  If you do this, don't stick it in your pistol and fire it at a wooden post that's about 5' away. The bullet could come back and hit you in the leg. Not hard enough to do anything, but it could give you that momentary *Uh-Ohh* feeling.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Does the cardboard box act to reduce the noise?  Might be a good idea to keep the noise down for the neighbors where I live.  I shoot a fair bit of muzzleloader, so firing off caps on a blank chamber is fairly frequent for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, significantly.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#25]
that's fine for ensuring firing pin working correctly.

when muzzle loader season gets here, I clean my muzzle loader, then I will pop 2-3 caps thru it to make sure the nipple is clear and I have pressure coming out of the barrel. ( usually have a piece of paper on the floor, pressure from a cap coming thru the barrel will shove it / blow it )  I do that to ensure everything is clear, and gtg. ( mostly issues from using side locks back in the day ).

it works. I usually take 4 deer each winter with it, ( last 10 years ) and I have never had a misfire.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This has always made me wonder, as "blanks" are technically banned in some areas/cities (especially discharging one), yet construction workers can buy them by the box load and discharge them anywhere.   I have a ram set nailing system like that with the auto loading pistol to set nails into concrete, and I have always been curious as the explanation of that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because they are not using a firearm.  In most cities it is illegal to discharge a firearm.  They don't care if its a blank.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#27]
You can, it's going to be loud.

I just use a once fired case and look for the second primer strike, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#28]
No problem at all. The Atf even has claimed a gun was functional in a court case when it only fired a blank and not a live round .
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Big +1.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:15:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Why would you need to pull the bullet from a live cartridge?  Just resize a spent case and put a new primer in it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Why would you need to pull the bullet from a live cartridge?  Just resize a spent case and put a new primer in it.
View Quote
Because .22lr 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
We built a building on one of the Eglin flightlines many years ago.  A Ramset had to be used to attach a piece of metal for the roofing to the structural red iron.  At first we had to notify the Ops guy before use and account for each charge and save them after use.  After a while everyone eased up and it wasn't a big deal.

I guess the sound of "gunfire" 50' from a bunch of tied down 15s and 16s made people nervous.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Very little reason to do so.

Might as well use a snap cap to test feed, extraction and ejection.

Only thing the primer would do is confirm ignition.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Very little reason to do so.
Might as well use a snap cap to test feed, extraction and ejection.
Only thing the primer would do is confirm ignition.
View Quote
Snap caps won't tell him if he's getting light hits.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I just popped one in my MkIV; they shouldn't just smoke.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/ad49XWwgJ_c[/youtube]

Edit - @DaveM4P99
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top