Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2005 9:12:19 AM EDT
http://www.sjerseyshootingclub.com/index.html

You have got to be kidding me ? No way in hell do they need to know or have a right to ask your SS#
I agree it good to be a member of the NRA but they all so froce that too.
What up with this stuff ?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:14:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't give out my number unless it is absolutly necessary and who ever can explane to me why they need to have it.  Hell, I don't even put it on 4473 forms.

The kids school said that they needed it for their school records, as of yet, they don't have it.

It is one number that I safe guard well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:16:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#3]
If they force you to give it to them then just  make up a number.  Unless they ask to see your social security card there is no way for them to know.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#4]
This could be for insurance.  You could be a 'named' insured on the policy.  That would be great to exclude yourself by giving fraudulent info.  Perhaps you should ask them if this is why they need it?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#6]
When unusual requests for my SSN# comes up , I always ask them in return:

"Why....do you plan on making contributions to my retirement?"
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:42:39 AM EDT
[#7]
ask if they'll accept your driver's license number.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Tell em to go fuck themselves and draw down on them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I would not give my SS#, DL# or DOB to a person or organization that was not required by law to collect such information.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Perhaps you should ask them if this is why they need it?

My guess is that it's a Record Key.  By using your SSN they don't have to create their own membership numbers and also don't have to worry about dupes like names.  Many states do this with drivers license numbers.

Quoted:
If they force you to give it to them then just  make up a number.  Unless they ask to see your social security card there is no way for them to know.

When I get in a spot where rightfully witholding my SSN is going to cause a problem, I just use this one - 078-05-1120
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#11]
When my SS# is requested by anyone other than my employer (who knows it) or the IRS, I refuse.  If they insist I reply that I safeguard my SS# to prevent ID theft, fraud, etc.  Then I tell them that if they really must have my SS#, I will need theirs, and to see their DL, so that I can make a record of the information for future reference.  They, of course, ask why I want THEIR SS#.  I tell them, if I have any ID theft problems, I will give the police YOUR name, DL info, and SS#, so they can investigate you for possible fraud.

They always back down.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#12]
You can use mine - I'll just make up a new one.

374-61-6738

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:56:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Thay want that too !!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:30:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
unless i am mistaken that is a violation of law. SSN's are NOT to be used as a form of identification.

I think you are correct. IIRC it was a fed law passed not too long ago.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:30:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
unless i am mistaken that is a violation of law. SSN's are NOT to be used as a form of identification.

I think you are correct. IIRC it was a fed law passed not too long ago.

I'm not sure if this federal or state law, but a few years back, my local credit union used the SSN as an account number, but a few years back they got rid of that system because they say it was unlawful.

sam1963: If they insist on that number, make one up and give it to them. Those folks have zero legitimate reason for having that type of info.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I wouldn't give that number either, because people in the know can assume your identity. In Calif the D/L number is a form of id.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top