Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2007 12:28:27 PM EDT
The safety bent and when I bent it back it broke off! Is there anywhere that I can get just the safety?

I was firing and a cloud of smoke shot out of the rifle, barrel and all!

After this I had a shitload of FTEs

Light primer strikes on casings that were chambered, I never even pulled the trigger.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Light strikes are normal in an SKS, momentum lets the pin hit the primer when the bolt closes, that's why you shouldn't use commercial primers, they're too soft..

Extraction problems aren't.

Pull your bolt and check the extractor.

If you had a hot round expect the latch for the cover to be bent.

No clue on the safety.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Easyest would be to buy a trigger group.  Would need more info on the FTE's.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Did the cloud of smoke come out on the first shot?  This could mean that the cosmoline wasn't cleaned off all the way, or maybe there was a lot of oil in the bore.  

Was this the first time firing it?  
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#4]
every time i've seen these problems (except the broken safety) it was due to cosmo that wasn't cleaned all the way out.

my friends sks was having fte's and light primer strikes, he said it was clean, but when we took it completely apart it still had some stuff hidden in the crevasses. if there is any cosmo at all left in the gas tube port off the barrel you'll get failure to ejects. cosmo in the firing pin assembly and you'll get light primer strikes. we cleaned it thoroughly and all issue were solved.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Nope, I was using Wolf Cat Piss 7.62x39. It smelled like burning leaves, it happened on two occasions while firing.

I scrubbed the fuck out of my rifle a later on.

The firing pins on SKS dont have springs do they?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, I was using Wolf Cat Piss 7.62x39. It smelled like burning leaves, it happened on two occasions while firing.

I scrubbed the fuck out of my rifle a later on.

The firing pins on SKS dont have springs do they?

Nope. No springs on SKS firing pins.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#7]

I tried the kit kit that adds a spring loaded firing pin to the SKS.  It turned out to be unreliable.  The pin kept breaking.  Went back to the OEM free floating firing pin.

Back to the safety.  I disassembled my trigger group once.  Never again.  Just buy a new trigger group.  If you just get a safety, assuming you can find one, the money saved will be offset by the cost in aspirin to fix your headache.

ZM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top