Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 11:55:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That sucks, the True Velocity ammunition is much more compelling.
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 11:59:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The entire reason why this project came about is also retarded. US generals saw that the Taliban were outranging us in Afghanistan with PKMs and RPGs, saw that the Russians also have PKMs and RPGs, and completely freaked the fuck out. What they apparently failed to realize is that in a conventional conflict with the Russians, they aren't going to sit out on a mountain 900 meters away and harass us with PKMs and RPGs... Apparently they didn't realize that harassing long range ambushes by the Taliban are a bit different than conventional warfare with the Russians (or Chinese).

Want to make our infantry more effective against peer opponents? Start issuing more drones, increase the amount of HE weapons available, etc.
View Quote

The range overmatch is actually one of three phases of excuses. The earliest proposal was a 7.62 NATO plastic M14, justified as "stopping power" to replace M855 greentips (during the Iraq period) and the last was rationalized as armor pen (which was cited as level 3, maybe even 2 IIRC in Congressional interviews) when the end of GWOT came into view.

There's no coherent thought behind NGSW. Its credit rose and fell over time until it hooked into Mattis' squad focus push and finally caught.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:07:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Someone in a previous thread speculated that the real reason for this is that the Army expects wheeled/walking robot-drones to become more commonplace on the battlefield, and a larger caliber was needed to defeat those.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:10:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Turn on the TV.

The weight a Soldier carries needs to be HE.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:37:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

it seems Sig is really really good at govt lobbying.  incredibly good.  no other mfr even comes close to Sig's govt marketing & lobbying corp.  They are slick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder how much these payoffs are. They must be YUGE

it seems Sig is really really good at govt lobbying.  incredibly good.  no other mfr even comes close to Sig's govt marketing & lobbying corp.  They are slick.

They have innovative designs... and hookers that can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 1:03:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone else feel like an improved scar 17 would have been a better option?

maybe with a better stock, aluminum lower, and new caliber

seems like this is an awkward combination of ar15 and new gun
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 1:05:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Anyone else feel like an improved scar 17 would have been a better option?

maybe with a better stock, aluminum lower, and new caliber

seems like this is an awkward combination of ar15 and new gun
View Quote

No. I'm fine with the idea of the sig. I just think the program will be killed off before any significant numbers are issued.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 1:08:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Someone in a previous thread speculated that the real reason for this is that the Army expects wheeled/walking robot-drones to become more commonplace on the battlefield, and a larger caliber was needed to defeat those.
View Quote

Yeah, I've been wondering this for a while as well. That, and/or new lighter weight lvl 4 armor tech, like plates made from easily shaped polymer that could offer more protection. Imagine something approaching scifi storm trooper armor or riot gear that can stop rifle rounds. Land warrior coming to fruition?

Or maybe they're expecting China to come out with knockoff power armor suits .
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 1:12:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When I was at pease afb they mentioned that sig (walking distance from the front gate) gave them alot of land for the base. Either gave directly or gave it to the state so they could sell it to the AF to rebuild pease.

View Quote

That is complete BS. All of that land was part of Pease and given to the state for redevelopment years ago. SIG just moved down there a couple years ago, they didn't own crap.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 1:18:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is stupid.
View Quote

especially right now while none of our allies are adopting it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 1:33:10 AM EDT
[#11]
So, what’s old is new again?
There’s a battle rifle and a medium machine gun, analogous to the M-14 and M-60. They were billed as defeating “any existing body armor” but can’t actually defeat modern NIJ Level IV or equivalent armor. The round has a steel core, and a tungsten core hasn’t even been contemplated. This wouldn’t be practical for mass use anyway. The entire argument for these rifles rests on your opponent using arguably outdated Level III armor. Shooting precisely at the body’s unarmored areas will be harder since increased recoil will cause soldiers with limited live fire training to flinch more. Much of their training is done with blanks, which isn’t exactly conducive to marksmanship.

(correction: they have budgeted for a tungsten core round but it doesn’t appear that any have been built. It would have a shorter level iv penetration range than M993 [very short] given a smaller penetrator. XSAPI or equivalent will stop it at the muzzle)

One could make an argument that the battle rifle will offer increased effective range over current assault rifles. However, the new weapons are going to be issued mostly with 1-6x Sig Tango scopes, with 1-8x Vortex XM157s for designated marksmen. With optical capabilities comparable to your run-of-the-mill AR-15, they’ve somewhat negated the potential range benefits. The ballistic computer in the XM157 is interesting, but it’ll only really help at distances where the 8x30 scope’s observation capabilities are limited. Shooting high contrast targets at mid-long range is much easier than shooting people who are running around, hiding and firing back.

There’s also the attendant increases in weight, expense per shot (which will lead to reduced marksmanship training) and muzzle flash. Even with a silencer, these will be flashier than an equivalent 5.56 or .308. Then, there’s the decreased ammo carrying capacity, full auto accuracy and barrel life. The latter issue will further decrease marksmanship training. US small arms will be completely unable to share ammo with allies I hope the USA doesn’t also try to bully NATO states into adopting battle rifles like they did during the early Cold War.

The 249/Minimi may be a problem for many people, but that’s no reason to throw out the 5.56x45mm cartridge. Plenty of great LMGs available in that caliber. If they want to increase effective range efficiently, they should introduce those new .338 Norma Mag guns with appropriate scopes, to serve alongside the M4 instead of replacing it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 1:42:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Army got its F35 I guess, been listening to them all week.

Not a hater just curious to see how it does.

25yrs in the military we were promised a new rifle and went from a A2 to a M4, forgive me if I am a bit skeptical of the average Infantryman getting one.

Might be good or bad to be wrong.
View Quote

The F-35 is probably the world’s best fighter-bomber. The XM5, if actually issued en masse, would be well below the AK-74, QBZ-191 and M4A1 in effectiveness as a fighting rifle.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:03:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why are we going back to a battle rifle?
View Quote

It's dumb as hell.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 3:28:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 3:30:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Both of those are hideous.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 3:36:26 AM EDT
[#16]
GD hates everything
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 5:05:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There’s a battle rifle and a medium machine gun, analogous to the M-14 and M-60. They were billed as defeating “any existing body armor” but can’t actually defeat modern NIJ Level IV or equivalent armor. The round has a steel core, and a tungsten core hasn’t even been contemplated. This wouldn’t be practical for mass use anyway. The entire argument for these rifles rests on your opponent using arguably outdated Level III armor. Shooting precisely at the body’s unarmored areas will be harder since increased recoil will cause soldiers with limited live fire training to flinch more. Much of their training is done with blanks, which isn’t exactly conducive to marksmanship.

One could make an argument that the battle rifle will offer increased effective range over current assault rifles. However, the new weapons are going to be issued mostly with 1-6x Sig Tango scopes, with 1-8x Vortex XM157s for designated marksmen. With optical capabilities comparable to your run-of-the-mill AR-15, they’ve somewhat negated the potential range benefits. The ballistic computer in the XM157 is interesting, but it’ll only really help at distances where the 8x30 scope’s observation capabilities are limited. Shooting high contrast targets at mid-long range is much easier than shooting people who are running around, hiding and firing back.

There’s also the attendant increases in weight, expense per shot (which will lead to reduced marksmanship training) and muzzle flash. Even with a silencer, these will be flashier than an equivalent 5.56 or .308. Then, there’s the decreased ammo carrying capacity, full auto accuracy and barrel life. The latter issue will further decrease marksmanship training. US small arms will be completely unable to share ammo with allies I hope the USA doesn’t also try to bully NATO states into adopting battle rifles like they did during the early Cold War.

The 249/Minimi may be a problem for many people, but that’s no reason to throw out the 5.56x45mm cartridge. Plenty of great LMGs available in that caliber. If they want to increase effective range efficiently, they should introduce those new .338 Norma Mag guns with appropriate scopes, to serve alongside the M4 instead of replacing it.
View Quote

That SIG machine gun you label as a medium machine gun is 5 pounds lighter than an M249 saw. with twice the effective range  and a recoiling barrel that mitigates felt recoil. I would love to see this caliber replace 762 nato in the SDMRs and 556 in the SAWs, 2 SDMRs that can reach out and defeat armor further and more effectively than 7.62 nato and 2 of these M250s laying down hate increases the fire power of a squad significantly. I don't think M4s are ever going away personally.

and take those 338 Norma GPMGs and replace the 240s in weapons squad and we've got a ground force that won't need new individual weapons until directed energy weapons are real. and a machine gun in weapons platoon that can outrange a .50 cal for accurate fire if not terminal energy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From the 2020 budget:

Project EC2, The Advanced Armor-Piercing (ADVAP) project is a critical technology development in response to the 7.62mm and 5.56mm Family of Ammunition
Capabilities Development Documents (CDD) and the Soldier Lethality Cross Functional Team (SL CFT) Initial Capability Document (ICD) which outlines the
requirements for new ammunition to support the rapid prototyping/development of the Next Generation Squad Weapons (NGSW) under Section 804 Authority. New
ADVAP ammunition is designed to provide overmatch capability to defeat advanced light armored threats within typical machine gun engagement ranges. The
nomenclature for the 7.62mm ADVAP is XM1158.
The Next Generation Squad Weapons (NGSW) ammunition has a similar objective to the 7.62mm ADVAP which is to defeat hard targets. The NGSW ammunition is
split into two initial variants, the General Purpose (GP) and the Special Purpose (SP). The nomenclature for the GP ammunition is XM1186 and the nomenclature for
the SP ammunition is XM1184. The overall objective of the ADVAP project is to develop and Full Materiel Release (FMR) both 7.62mm XM1158 cartridge for the M240
machine gun and ADVAP ammunition in calibers below 7.62mm.

There is a GP and an SP (aka AP) round.

Source for above:
Dtic link
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:17:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#20]
We have to take into consideration that this is the same army that spent 5 billion on a worthless camo pattern. Whether this ever sees the light of day should be taken with a grain of salt
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:45:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We have to take into consideration that this is the same army that spent 5 billion on a worthless camo pattern. Whether this ever sees the light of day should be taken with a grain of salt
View Quote

Yup pretty much this . Makes me wonder how Col. Mortlock made from that fiasco lol
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:46:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's definitely going to be fielded - no doubt about that.

The question is, how much will it be fielded?

Is it going to a few select units only? Front line troops only? Or will it replace all M4s entirely across all branches and all units?

That's what I'm curious about.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:27:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm just here for all the surplus 5.56mm.....
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#25]
How does Sigs stock price keep going down with all of these contracts
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:50:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
And GOV/MIL doesn't care if the new shiny whizbang 3-piece-case ammo is $2-$3/round.  It's not like they are spending THEIR money...

The rest of us?  Most of us serfs who are forced to pay for the whizbang stuff will continue to shoot affordable 5.56 and 7.62 for the next 20 years
View Quote

Until it comes time to pay for practice ammo, then they will give each soldier 20 rounds per year.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:57:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How does Sigs stock price keep going down with all of these contracts
View Quote

SIG is not a public company
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Turn on the TV.

View Quote

Tesla electric pack mules in FDE/Taupe will carry the heavy shit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:07:27 AM EDT
[#29]
What does this do better than current small arms other than penetrate body armor more easily?

Seems like a lot of money just for that one improvement.

If this thing were a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range where a single mag has 3000 rounds while being the same size as current weapons, no ballistic drop over long range, etc…yes that would be worth writing a big check for.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:14:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It looks like a nightmare of tolerance stackups. I'll believe it when I see it. Laugh at me all the way, but I don't think this will be effective long term.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 3 piece case design is more forgiving to headspace variation than a one piece high strength steel case, with high pressures.  The hybrid case gives a strong case head to withstand the pressure while having a ductile body to prevent case separation within a reasonable headspace range.
It looks like a nightmare of tolerance stackups. I'll believe it when I see it. Laugh at me all the way, but I don't think this will be effective long term.

Take a look at how the case head fits together, it’s surprisingly sturdy.

Tolerance stacking shouldn’t be an issue with modern manufacturing, I’d think. But that’ll all depend on how well lake city adapts to the design, I reckon.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This entire thing is retarded. Why do we need to go through all the trouble to replace 5.56 with the sole purpose of penetrating near peer plates? As the conflict in the Ukraine is showing us, what's going to do most of the killing in a peer/near peer environment is artillery, ATGMs, armor, drones, mortars, etc. And in the case of the US (since our only near peers are Russia and China), nuclear weapons. All our small arms need to do is be capable of suppressing dismounted enemy infantry long enough that they can be hammered with supporting arms. 5.56 works just fine for that. Wearing plates doesn't render you unable to be suppressed or invulnerable to small arms fire, far from it. The head, legs, arms, etc. are all still exposed, and under withering, accurate small arms fire, you're going to keep your fucking head down regardless of whether it can penetrate your plates or not.

The entire reason why this project came about is also retarded. US generals saw that the Taliban were outranging us in Afghanistan with PKMs and RPGs, saw that the Russians also have PKMs and RPGs, and completely freaked the fuck out. What they apparently failed to realize is that in a conventional conflict with the Russians, they aren't going to sit out on a mountain 900 meters away and harass us with PKMs and RPGs... Apparently they didn't realize that harassing long range ambushes by the Taliban are a bit different than conventional warfare with the Russians (or Chinese).

Want to make our infantry more effective against peer opponents? Start issuing more drones, increase the amount of HE weapons available, etc.
View Quote

I still think it has something to do with a recent development in polymer tech, some kind of plastic stronger than steel, yet half the weight. It’d supposedly allow for rifle plates that conform to the body, with much greater Lv 4 coverage, and less weight. Arf had a thread about it some time ago.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That SIG machine gun you label as a medium machine gun is 5 pounds lighter than an M249 saw. with twice the effective range  and a recoiling barrel that mitigates felt recoil. I would love to see this caliber replace 762 nato in the SDMRs and 556 in the SAWs, 2 SDMRs that can reach out and defeat armor further and more effectively than 7.62 nato and 2 of these M250s laying down hate increases the fire power of a squad significantly. I don't think M4s are ever going away personally.

View Quote

Even with the M250 being lighter, i still dont think it can replace the M249's capability easily. There's still the weight and bulk of the ammo itself. The present day automatic rifleman can carry a M249 and 1000 rounds on their person/assault pack (I did it in AFG in 2011-2012); that will be so much harder with the M250.

The M250 would be a great replacement for the 240; it would be almost all upside.

Overall, i think this project was doomed from the start when the army chose a heavy 6.8 projectile to issue requirements around. Its too big and requires too much gunpowder to get going at the velocity they are asking for. If they could scale this projectile down, then something like a 6mm valkyrie "fury" (i like the smaller case diameter of SPC/valkyrie over grendel/6mm ARC) would be great.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#33]
I still wish we were in the XM8 timeline the world would be a whole lot cooler if every army was running around looking like a bunch of extras off Starship Troopers
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Turn on the TV.

Let’s be realistic. You’ll carry everything you carried before and the mule will carry more, then the mule will break and you’ll have to carry its load and it back.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#35]
The machinegun is slick and would be useful. The fact that you can’t use that caliber in existing guns is a huge hurdle to get over.

The rifle…meh. Box fed rifle calibers are meh.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Agreed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That sucks, the True Velocity ammunition is much more compelling.

Agreed

It doesn’t make any sense that they tied ammo procurement to the rifle procurement. It should have separated like the optic component was and conducted first. The TV ammo would easily have beaten the steel/brass hybrid; then the rifle part would have been who can make the best platform for the TV ammo.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Gadzooks, 80kpsi chamber pressure?

How often does the Army plan on replacing barrels?
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Just gonna toss this out there, but I don't believe we will be seeing a lot of their hybrid ammo being used. There will be something different that hasn't been seen yet.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:58:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
GD hates everything
View Quote

Yes, that's true.

Hating the new firearms and adopting the new firearms service wide are two different things though.  The SCAR-H was a supplemental weapon, not a replacement.  That's how this shit should be.  Replacement is not necessary.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:01:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What does this do better than current small arms other than penetrate body armor more easily?

Seems like a lot of money just for that one improvement.

If this thing were a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range where a single mag has 3000 rounds while being the same size as current weapons, no ballistic drop over long range, etc…yes that would be worth writing a big check for.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Do we really need this to fight the Russians??? Most recent real life "tests" suggest otherwise. More drones, artillery tech, thermals, robots, mines, standoff missiles, retrofittable smart-glide bomb frames for dumb bombs etc.
View Quote

All you need to do with the Russians is keep slowly backing up....their logistics will fall apart and most of the soldiers will either be lost or starving by the time the actual fighting starts.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#42]
It looks like the Kalashnikov will outlast the M16/M4 after all.

It will move forward. Amid great wailing, and gnashing of teeth.

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I think the cool but weird ammo is going to kill this program in the long run.  It is too different from what everyone else is tooled up to produce.  No doubt in my mind that if we designed the AR today it would be in a 6/6.5 caliber, but probably something more akin to a 6ARC or 6.5G.  New ammo tech that still carries like an intermediate cartridge but blurs the line with battle rifle like performance down range.

I think we would be smart to start looking at newer calibers in our current platforms but not steel headed cases.  Even with the amazing pressures they can achieve.  NATO isn’t going to follow us down the caliber rabbit hole like they did with the 7.62 when they had a perfectly good caliber and weapon in the FAL and 280 Brit.

-Mike
View Quote

This.

Even if it moves forward it'll be limited to a few specific units.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I foresee some casehead separations and unreliable function with the high chamber pressure in extraction and cycling with various length gas systems.
View Quote

You forgot barrels 'burned out' after ~1500 rounds, AD's when dropped, recalls, production "updates" every 3 months and eventually being discontinued / no longer supported after 3 years.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#45]
20.4 million contract so it’s not replacing M4’s anytime soon.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No. I'm fine with the idea of the sig. I just think the program will be killed off before any significant numbers are issued.
View Quote

Probably too big to fail at this point…..remember, this is the same service that fielded ACUs
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm just here for all the surplus 5.56mm.....
View Quote

I will buy the worthless m855a1 round all day at 10 cents each.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will we ever see commercial ammo loaded to the full 80k psi spec?

Bought some just to have it

How much does each round weigh?  Do you have a postal scale?

@GraniteStateMike
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Next month they will announce plans for EV MBTs.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#50]
20 million "for testing and eval". Will be another massive boondoggle where pockets are greased. Move along.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top