Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 12/20/2023 11:51:50 AM EDT
That stupid, shitty Obama movie did provide one positive thing; reminding me that I need to get some things tightened up, namely Comms. We have cellphones like everyone else so this is secondary.

Seeking opinions on best way to stay in contact with kids who are only 35 miles away and a friend 200 miles. Ideally, I’d like to avoid monthly subscription plans so am thinking SW Radio might be my best (only?) option. Also, prefer something handheld mobile.

Any alternatives before I start down that rabbit hole?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Pre paid sat phones like Irridium?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#2]
It has to be something both parties get involved with.  HAM would work, but it might be difficult to convince everyone else to get their license and buy the equipment.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It has to be something both parties get involved with.  HAM would work, but it might be difficult to convince everyone else to get their license and buy the equipment.
View Quote

If there was a world ending SHTF situation none of that shit matters.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#5]
NC Scout's got some thoughts:

The Guerrilla's Guide To The Baofeng Radio

The Guerrilla Dispatch: Volume 1

With the Baofeng's you'd need to hit a repeater, but no repeater required with NVIS
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#6]
That's a pretty long distance, tag.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#7]
35 miles will be tough without relying on a repeater using hand held. How far up can you get a nice antenna at both locations?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#8]
GMRS. No test, and one license covers your whole family.  Same propagation and capabilities as UHF ham radio.

There is nothing for the 200 miles that doesn't require a license.  Even if you wanted to be a badass renegade lawbreaker and use a baofeng without a license, the baofeng doesn't operate on HF frequencies so it wouldn't work.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

With the Baofeng's you'd need to hit a repeater, but no repeater required with NVIS
View Quote

NVIS doesn't work with VHF/UHF so a baofeng won't work.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:03:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thinking you’re going to do everything right the moment you pick up a radio is like thinking you’re going to be a green beret the moment you pick up a gun.

Ham radio is not a plug & play solution and it can be tricky even for experienced users.

If you’re not going to learn on it before the world collapses you’re not going to know how to use it when it does.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No fucking shit.  Read the books
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
It does when you want to make sure your gear works and understand how to make use of it.  

As for the OP, 35 miles might be doable with GMRS from house to house but its very dependent upon being up high and not having a forest in the middle (assuming no repeater)  The friend at 200 miles is gonna need HF radio, you too.    Past that, if its just getting ahold of people and saying "come here" better to have a set plan in place.  

OP shoot me a DM.   I enjoy doing communication consult work for fun.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#13]
GMRS, radios are preprogrammed, cheap, no test. You can get a license through the FCC for I think $35 bucks good for 10 years and all family members can use your call name legally.

https://midlandusa.com/blogs/blog/why-do-i-need-a-gmrs-license-how-do-i-get-it?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAvoqsBhB9EiwA9XTWGWqG0P3Fi28xz6Msp3ee2JOsn-opaf55027AfK2RjFFoxBwyO7US7BoCqD8QAvD_BwE

Amazon Product
  • \u3010Professional GMRS Radio \u3011GM-15PRO feature 250 memory channels\uff0cWith 30 default channels include 22 GMRS Channels for communicating with other radios right out of the box and 8 GMRS Repeater Channels .You can easily add new channels and change settings on the go by the PC and keypad menu programs, 154 Privacy Codes (50 CTCSS codes/ 104 DCS codes) ,Reduce interference.

Amazon Product
  • Plug-in-and-go GMRS Mobile + Scanning Receiver\uff5cDB25-G works well with all brands of GMRS radios right out of the box and is capable of accessing the GMRS repeaters. It is also a UHF, VHF scanning and receiver. Easy to install the DB25-G with the cigarette plug in your vehicle.

Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#14]
We have Midland GMRS radios. You might get some insight from this video.

Emergency Communications: Midland MXT500 High Power GMRS Radio Review
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#15]
There are several stages of comms SHTF:
1. Cell phones down
2. Internet down
3. Grid down

In stage 1 or 2 GMRS or Ham repeaters can possibly cover your 35 mile needs if there is a repeater positioned properly. You could possibly cover the 35 miles with a strong enough base station and high enough antenna that provides line of sight between the antennae. To communicate several hundred miles you will need some atmospheric bounce, so 6m or longer amateur.

In a grid down situation, there will be no repeaters unless they have a really big solar array, so amateur frequencies will be the only option. As others have mentioned licenses will not matter if it all goes to hell, but you (and whoever is on the other end of the comms) will have a hard time acquiring the equipment and learning the skills to operate then.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Much of HAM radio relies on repeaters, what happens if the the repeaters go down.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#17]
That goll dang BaoFeng boy ill tell ya what.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#18]
VHF mobile simplex might work at 35miles depending on terrain.

This is not as simple as just buying radios and being good to go.

This is the 87th time we've done this thread, we gud at it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

SHTF isn't the time to figure out what bands or time of day work to communicate with your friend at 200 miles away.

What happens when its a widespread natural disaster and their antenna at home falls off the roof, or trees ice up and fall over taking a wire antenna with it? Knowledge of how to work around that now, makes it an inconvenience to run a new antenna rather than being dead in the water without outside assistance.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:36:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you wait until then to use it, then you're behind the curve.

It doesn't matter, though.  You can listen without a license. You set it up the same way.  

I would just hate to spend the kind of money that you need to spend to not be able to transmit without running in to possible problems.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#21]
The only correct answer is; it depends.

Any other answer will cause much discontent and pounding of clinched fists.

My humble, inadequate, short answer:

Get GMRS radios.

Put a GMRS antenna as high as you can. Height is your only advantage.

Get coax to attach your radios to the antennas.

See what it does.

If that doesnt work. Things get more complicated, quick, fast and in a hurry.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I’m going to die because some guy in diabetic socks will report me for not being licensed.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#23]
In on this. Just picked up some iCom UHF/VHF walkies and trying to learn their what their capabilities are.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Some various radio transmission paths:

VHF can reach into space or follow terrain to some extent.  But your best bet for distance with VHF is to have line of sight to a tower repeater.  Much depends on the height of your antenna and the height of the receiving antenna.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Check out Rattlegram.

https://youtu.be/2x-IztI3ybo?si=lsWOBy8K0tlL1Tjc
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#26]
My buddy says:

"The only secure communications are coded with pre made random code books. They have to be truly random, for example one word/phrase/sentence/passage/etc meaning something entirely different. No repeating patterns. Learn from WW2 Germany's mistakes with the Enigma machines. Everyone on the net has to have the code book. If the code book falls into enemy hands, everyone is compromised. You can't trust anything technology or internet based. The enemy has back doors to everything you can buy or use.

Then you need to decide if you want text or voice based comms. Voice based is probably not good as you have to assume that ECHELON/NSA has everyone's voice print on file. Mobile devices would be best to avoid locations from being compromised."
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My buddy says:

"The only secure communications are coded with pre made random code books. They have to be truly random, for example one word/phrase/sentence/passage/etc meaning something entirely different. No repeating patterns. Learn from WW2 Germany's mistakes with the Enigma machines. Everyone on the net has to have the code book. If the code book falls into enemy hands, everyone is compromised. You can't trust anything technology or internet based. The enemy has back doors to everything you can buy or use.

Then you need to decide if you want text or voice based comms. Voice based is probably not good as you have to assume that ECHELON/NSA has everyone's voice print on file. Mobile devices would be best to avoid locations from being compromised."
View Quote

I just use my twin language.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
In on this. Just picked up some iCom UHF/VHF walkies and trying to learn their what their capabilities are.
View Quote

Even though segments of arfcom gets really triggered by the suggestion, getting licensed helps a lot.  When you're taking the test, talk to the people adminstering it.  They usually can hook you up with local ham clubs where you'll meet people who will give you direction.  They also tend to have radio nets where you can practice communicating via radio.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That stupid, shitty Obama movie did provide one positive thing; reminding me that I need to get some things tightened up, namely Comms. We have cellphones like everyone else so this is secondary.

Seeking opinions on best way to stay in contact with kids who are only 35 miles away and a friend 200 miles. Ideally, I’d like to avoid monthly subscription plans so am thinking SW Radio might be my best (only?) option. Also, prefer something handheld mobile.

View Quote

a fixed 50W VHF/UHF base station with a good antenna mounted as high as you can (same with kids) might be able to hit 35 miles (MIGHT)

For this, you would probably need at minimum a 100W HF rig with an antenna that can do Near Vertical Incidence Skywave (NVIS)

Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Great books with tons of useful info.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Much of HAM radio relies on repeaters, what happens if the the repeaters go down.
View Quote

that's what HF is for
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Why have long range comms at all?  Replace it with a contingency plan. If "X" happens, come to my house. If you don't show up within a certain amount of time, we are moving to location "Y" for a permanent base, meet us there.   Added advantage is you won't be telling the world what you are doing. Code books not required.

That's all you are really going to communicate over LR comms anyway unless you just want to chit chat.

Short range comms are a different kettle of fish, but there are lots of options out there to cover them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

iCom or Icom?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Handheld and 200 miles are pretty much mutually exclusive without riding on someone's infrastructure.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm going to open up the $8 Baufeng radio and see if I can get it to work by pushing on buttons randomly after finding out there's no owners manual in the box.

Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#36]
One important item, nothing is “ secure”, so don’t be sitting around talking like your a 10 year old for hours on end and telling the plot of the new murder mystery, or reciting ingredients of your grandmas secret cookies,to your cousin 20 miles away,  thinking your opposition cookie bakers won’t hear the recipe, cause grandmas gonna be pissed at the next bake off  if you do, and shit goes sideways when grams arch nemesis  Suzy Andrew’s  kicks the door in and wins the bake off with grams own recipe.

That’s why you substitute home made code words for ingredients, like, “ salad “ for vanilla “, “ beans “ for brown sugar”, Ricky tic, vs actually saying 30 minutes baking time”, to help mislead those pesky bakers trying to listen in and steal Grammys secret cookie recipie.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I’m going to die because some guy in diabetic socks will report me for not being licensed.
View Quote

Your inevitable demise is inevitable
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Vehicle GMRS radios can top out at 50 watts, which can reach out a bit further than the 5 watt handhelds.  My 50 watt can hit a GMRS repeater 50+ miles away.  So theoretically I could talk to someone 100+ miles away on the other side of the repeater.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:42:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My buddy says:

View Quote
There are German Enigma encoded messages from WWII that haven't been cracked yet, but are being worked on.

A one time pad which is unbreakable done correctly.

The NSA and CIA would disagree with your buddy's assessment of 'secure communications'.

The encryption algorithms aren't secret, they're openly published.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
One important item, nothing is “ secure”, so don’t be sitting around talking like your a 10 year old for hours on end and telling the plot of the new murder mystery, or reciting ingredients of your grandmas secret cookies,to your cousin 20 miles away,  thinking your opposition cookie bakers won’t hear the recipe, cause grandmas gonna be pissed at the next bake off  if you do, and shit goes sideways when grams arch nemesis  Suzy Andrew’s  kicks the door in and wins the bake off with grams own recipe.

That’s why you substitute home made code words for ingredients, like, “ salad, for vanilla “, or “ Ricky tic, vs 30 minutes baking time”, to help mislead those pesky bakers trying to listen in and steal Grammys secret cookie recipie.
View Quote

There's various levels of secure and who you are worried about being snooped on by.  Local hooligans?  Local PD?  NSA?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

iCom or Icom?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

iCom or Icom?

Icom. Posting from iPhone.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

iCom or Icom?

Gotcha.  What'd you get?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Ham Radio and NVIS.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Brushbeater is NC Scout's website.  

I am a former Infantry Scout in one of the Army’s best Reconnaissance Units, a former NCO, serving in both Iraq and Afghanistan. I seek to share what I’ve learned to help folks build a skill set that may be needed in the near future.
View Quote

I really can't overstate how valuable the information he puts out is.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Smoke signals. Ham. GMRS.

35 miles is pretty far unless you're in the great plains or on top of a mountain.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm going to die because some guy in diabetic socks will report me for not being licensed.
View Quote
While there is a large number of HAMs with all sorts of mobility and medical issues that does not cover all.  

Check out 'Parks on the Air'.  This is a program where HAMs setup mostly HF transmitters in designated State, Federal, and other listed parks and transmit to 10 of more other contacts.  While it sounds pointless, it is a lot like shooting where proficiency requires practice.

What you get from this is the proficiency on your equipment to take your radio/antenna and setup in remote locations and communication with any state in the country or half way around the world depending on your antenna choice and time of day.  HF is reliable most of the time, with exceptions like solar storms, etc.   Some guys operate from their vehicles or campers and some backpack their gear into the woods and transmit from trails or mountain tops.

In a SHTF situation, the 'Parks on the Air' guys will be the ones with the gear and skills to talk to just about anywhere.  Good luck finding them since they are not stationary and well practiced in take-down and packing out.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Lol this should be a good thread.  Great misinformation in here already.

Good luck with your baofengs
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Smoke signals. Ham. GMRS.

35 miles is pretty far unless you're in the great plains or on top of a mountain.
View Quote

Even on the great plains, 35 miles requires a height of about 175' on each side to get line if sight*.

* - That's pure line of sight and ignoring any propagation the signal may receive.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
While there is a large number of HAMs with all sorts of mobility and medical issues that does not cover all.

Check out 'Parks on the Air'.  This is a program where HAMs setup mostly HF transmitters in designated State, Federal, and other listed parks and transmit to 10 of more other contacts.  While it sounds pointless, it is a lot like shooting where proficiency requires practice.

What you get from this is the proficiency on your equipment to take your radio/antenna and setup in remote locations and communication with any state in the country or half way around the world depending on your antenna choice and time of day.  HF is reliable most of the time, with exceptions like solar storms, etc.   Some guys operate from their vehicles or campers and some backpack their gear into the woods and transmit from trails or mountain tops.

In a SHTF situation, the 'Parks on the Air' guys will be the ones with the gear and skills to talk to just about anywhere.  Good luck finding them since they are not stationary and well practiced in take-down and packing out.
View Quote
I have been assured by hams on here that their DFing skills are second to none. Even had a guy claim he could DF an encrypted SINCGARS radio with a simple yagi antenna.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 2:17:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Good luck finding them" is a lot like "secure comms".  It depends on who is looking for you.  Is it a guy with good fox hunting skills and a moderate case of gout?  Local PD who knows how to set the channel on their radio?  A Rivet Joint flying in the area?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top