Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2023 10:22:13 PM EDT
Which do I want?  I'm leaning toward the Hoss, since speed is not my main goal.  I just want something to run and upgrade.  Upgrade is the key part, I wish they had more of these trucks in kit form, building and upgrading is what I enjoy.  Bashing is secondary.

I looked into the crawler kits on the market.  The end cost isn't worth it to me, I have a TRX4M that takes care of my slow R/C fun.  And it has upgrades that are approaching what the RTR cost.  Full bearings, SS links, AL servo mount, etc...
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 10:52:24 PM EDT
[#1]
The Hoss is basically a Rustler with bigger tires. I wasn't impressed with it and frankly It probably doesn't hold up nearly as well.

I have three Rustlers and I'd either go that route or more likely, I'd get a Maxx. Those things are built like tanks, compared to the Rustler or Hoss.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 12:05:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#3]
The Rustler is a blast!  Picked it up this afternoon and proceeded to slam into the fence in my back yard multiple times at full speed.  Pretty durable.  Are there any parts I should buy in advance since they are more likely to break?
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Rustler is a blast!  Picked it up this afternoon and proceeded to slam into the fence in my back yard multiple times at full speed.  Pretty durable.  Are there any parts I should buy in advance since they are more likely to break?
View Quote

Did you get 2WD or 4x4?

I'd recommend a full set of RPM suspension parts (plastic, they are cheap. Stay away from aluminum). I'd also get MIP CVDs. You'll burn through driveshafts at a decent pace, at least me and my daughters and three neighbors I've gotten into RC do.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Did you get 2WD or 4x4?

I'd recommend a full set of RPM suspension parts (plastic, they are cheap. Stay away from aluminum). I'd also get MIP CVDs. You'll burn through driveshafts at a decent pace, at least me and my daughters and three neighbors I've gotten into RC do.
View Quote
I got the VXL 4WD and the 3S battery/charger kit.  Thanks, I'll shop the RPM and MIP stuff tonight or tomorrow.

I remember putting MIP CVDS in my RC10 B3 back in the day.  Surprised they are still around.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I got the VXL 4WD and the 3S battery/charger kit.  Thanks, I'll shop the RPM and MIP stuff tonight or tomorrow.

I remember putting MIP CVDS in my RC10 B3 back in the day.  Surprised they are still around.
View Quote

Still around, and still making great products. I have their heavy duty CVDs in my VXL. The rotating mass has helped tame the wheelies a bit as well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 10:41:52 PM EDT
[#7]
RPM suspension arms installed.  Threw in the fan for the ESC as well.

Can't bring myself to buy the MIP or Traxxas CVDs at $80 each.  $160 when the truck was $399?
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:30:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Minor update.  I blew out the rear diff on the Rustler.  Just spent an hour replacing the gears and may have went overboard on the diff fluid, 50K.  We'll see.....

I've got the Traxxas 400oz servo that I need to install as well.  But, it's bourbon time.....
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 10:08:54 PM EDT
[#9]
So how is the rustler working out for you? I just got a hoss with the heavy duty kit for it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 1:22:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I got all the heavy duty kit installed on the Hoss….ehhhh, I guess it will last a while. Very fun to drive, just going to prob take some upgrades.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Ran both the rustler and hoss today in a rock quarry. Both models got small rocks lodged between the aluminum driveshaft and the body and made significant grooves in the aluminum. The hoss has a clear plastic cover over the shaft but nonetheless I still got driveshaft damage. I would suggest the debris nets for both models.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Both models were fun to drive, the hoss deemed easier to control vs the rustler.  Both had great speed on 3s in the 100 yd area I was playing in.
Top Top