Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2023 10:29:27 AM EDT
Files are supposed to be used dry. Is there a rust inhibitor that will dry completely that won't interfere with the cutting action?
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought 6 brand new files about 2 years ago, and two of them have rust on them now.  I use a file card to keep debris out of them too..
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used both SprayOn LU711, or WD-40.  Just use a bit of brake cleaner before use.  

You could also store them in VCI paper.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 3:24:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I use these in my toolboxes and whatnot, seem to work pretty good.  Missouri weather is hell on tools.

Zerust Rust Prevention Plastabs
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 4/25/2023 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#4]
All my user files are hanging or in blocks. I'm more looking for spray on solutions.

I'm trying Starrett M1 spray which is supposed to dry to a thin film. I'm just blowing off the excess and letting them dry. Hopefully it won't promote clogging.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 9:22:03 AM EDT
[#5]
My nephew printed up a few blocks to hold my smaller files.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#6]
A light spray of WD-40 would probably do the trick, just wipe off the excess. A little lubrication on a file won't hurt anything, in fact I've used cutting oil while filing with a coarse file with no problems, a fine file works better with a little chalk on it though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Beeswax for metal working files.  I wouldn’t for rasps though unless you wanted to be sure to dewax them before use to keep your wood clean.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:13:03 AM EDT
[#8]
WD-4 or Crown tool saver.

Provides 12-24 months indoor/outdoor storage protection for tools, dies, molds and tooling.  Safe Lanolin-based, greasy film that is easy to apply and remove.

Won’t harden or crack with age
   Protect valuable parts and equipment from rust and corrosion
   Seals out air & moisture and neutralizes acid oxidation
   Non-staining formula

Applications: use on molds, dies, tools, and other equipment requiring short or long-term corrosion protection.

https://www.aervoe.com/product/tool-and-die-saver/

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#9]
https://boeshield.com/

This is supposedly the stuff for table saws and beds of machine tools. I don't know why it wouldn't work on files.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
WD-4 or Crown tool saver.

Provides 12-24 months indoor/outdoor storage protection for tools, dies, molds and tooling.  Safe Lanolin-based, greasy film that is easy to apply and remove.

Won’t harden or crack with age
   Protect valuable parts and equipment from rust and corrosion
   Seals out air & moisture and neutralizes acid oxidation
   Non-staining formula

Applications: use on molds, dies, tools, and other equipment requiring short or long-term corrosion protection.

https://www.aervoe.com/product/tool-and-die-saver/

View Quote

Thick stuff will render the files useless without cleaning. I need something that dries to a very thin film.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#11]
VCI paper or the VCI impregnated plastic bags for guns. [Zerust]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
VCI paper or the VCI impregnated plastic bags for guns. [Zerust]
View Quote

My files are hanging. Not in a drawer. I have some of those paper pieces in my tool box drawers
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Spray them with any light aerosol oil.

Blot off the excess.

If you are concerned about the file being "dry" when you get around to using it, hit it with a couple shots of aerosol brake cleaner.

Unless you are filing parts for the Space Shuttle, I don't think you need to be the least bit worried about a little oil on your file. I'd be a lot more worried about rust or mis-use.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Spray them with any light aerosol oil.

Blot off the excess.

If you are concerned about the file being "dry" when you get around to using it, hit it with a couple shots of aerosol brake cleaner.

Unless you are filing parts for the Space Shuttle, I don't think you need to be the least bit worried about a little oil on your file. I'd be a lot more worried about rust or mis-use.
View Quote
More or less this.  LPS #1 works well, but there are others.

VCI paper, film, tabs are all woefully under used by hobbyists across the board.  VCI is a great way to keep your reloading dies and tools rust free, for example.

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thick stuff will render the files useless without cleaning. I need something that dries to a very thin film.
View Quote

Anything with a film will clog up the file with metal shavings, even water will.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:09:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Anything with a film will clog up the file with metal shavings, even water will.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I grew up learning to file and scrape.  Clean your (fine pitch) files with solvent and a file card before use.  Chalk them in some situations. Oil them with something thin or store in VCI after.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 12:27:29 AM EDT
[#17]
2 years machine shop then 2 years penn. gunsmith school. we always used blue chalk on metal files. it keeps the metal chips from getting stuck. we applied it prior to any work and constantly during heavy work. such as every time you tap the file against the vice to dislodge any chip debris buildup.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 12:28:23 AM EDT
[#18]
no chalk equals rust. oil equals no rust but doesnt work with chalk.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 4:22:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't know how many files you have other than what's in the pic, but you could build a shallow cabinet to keep them in, with a layer of silica gel on the bottom.

Hmmm, humidity controlled file cabinet.  Might have to build ME one of these.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Don't know how many files you have other than what's in the pic, but you could build a shallow cabinet to keep them in, with a layer of silica gel on the bottom.

Hmmm, humidity controlled file cabinet.  Might have to build ME one of these.  
View Quote

Dozens in multiple locations
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 11:50:24 PM EDT
[#21]
EEZOX, or Hornady One-Shot? Then clean off with brake parts cleaner prior to use. I don’t have any personal experience with either, just raising these as possibilities. I have read that a lot of folks don’t like the smell of Eezox, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top