Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2019 9:19:05 AM EDT
Somehow, I managed to miss the point in the trailers, if you haven’t picked up on the plot yet, do yourself a favor and watch this cold. It was awesome.

This was one of those rare Netflix series that was devoid of time filler, definitely recommended.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep, loved it
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds kinda like Groundhog Day.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds kinda like Groundhog Day.
View Quote
Groundhog Day bored the shit out of me after about day 3.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 9:35:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, Groundhog Day. Without the freshness. It was done well, but that's not really reason enough to watch something IMO.  For the time invested I prefer Fleabag on Prime or Derry Girls.  Truly silly series that punch you in the gut at the end.

You want to see a waste of time watch Velvet Buzzsaw.  I haven't figured out if it is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, self-parody, or pseudo-camp.  It ultimately had no point that I could determine.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I liked it alot.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I stopped after the second episode
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Cant stand that actress, like nails on a chalkboard.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yep, Groundhog Day. Without the freshness. It was done well, but that's not really reason enough to watch something IMO.  For the time invested I prefer Fleabag on Prime or Derry Girls.  Truly silly series that punch you in the gut at the end.

You want to see a waste of time watch Velvet Buzzsaw.  I haven't figured out if it is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, self-parody, or pseudo-camp.  It ultimately had no point that I could determine.
View Quote
Watched a couple of episodes of Derry Girls. . . hard to believe they made a comedy regarding "the Troubles" in N.I. . . . but it does have it's funny moments. . . I guess with enough time you can find humor almost anywhere. . .

Well, I still won't watch "The Death of Stalin".   After reading 2 books about him, I can say there is, nor will be, anything remotely funny about that place and time. . . Very dark place, Soviet Russia. . . .
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 11:47:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Watched a couple of episodes of Derry Girls. . . hard to believe they made a comedy regarding "the Troubles" in N.I. . . . but it does have it's funny moments. . . I guess with enough time you can find humor almost anywhere. . .

Well, I still won't watch "The Death of Stalin".   After reading 2 books about him, I can say there is, nor will be, anything remotely funny about that place and time. . . Very dark place, Soviet Russia. . . .
View Quote
LOL....You are missing out.

The Death of Stalin - Official Red Band Trailer I HD I IFC Films
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_y0YfT2I_s
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? . . I just finished "The Unknown Stalin". . . .When Communist theoretician and founding Bolshevik Nikolai Bukharin was arrested and tortured to confess, he finally signed the confession being assured that his wife and young son would not be affected.

From Wiki:   Despite the promise to spare his family, Bukharin's wife, Anna Larina, was sent to a labor camp, but she survived to see her husband rehabilitated by the Soviet state under Mikhail Gorbachev in 1988.  

She spent 20 years in the camps.  Her son was taken from her and put in a state run orphanage.   This is just one of many, many, many instances of this type of treatment by Stalin of dedicated Communist government, military, academic, and cultural (writers, poets, directors, actors) individuals.  To say nothing of the millions of individuals imprisoned, tortured, and killed for such crimes as being taken prisoner by the Germans during WW2, or being anonymously denounced by "someone" at some time, ----or just because Stalin felt like it.

Hilarious.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought Russian Doll was very well made, but didn't exactly tread any sort of new ground thematically or emotionally.

One thing it did well was it presented a bunch of characters that I instantly hated and slowly humanized them to the point that I didn't hate most of them in the end.

But as someone else already mentioned Velvet Buzzsaw is crap. It couldn't decide what it wanted to be... Was it a spoof? Was it serious? Was it camp? Was it straight? Was it a comedy? Was it horror? It was none of those things yet toyed with tropes and concepts from all of them.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Netflix only?
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Really? . . I just finished "The Unknown Stalin". . . .When Communist theoretician and founding Bolshevik Nikolai Bukharin was arrested and tortured to confess, he finally signed the confession being assured that his wife and young son would not be affected.

From Wiki:   Despite the promise to spare his family, Bukharin's wife, Anna Larina, was sent to a labor camp, but she survived to see her husband rehabilitated by the Soviet state under Mikhail Gorbachev in 1988.  

She spent 20 years in the camps.  Her son was taken from her and put in a state run orphanage.   This is just one of many, many, many instances of this type of treatment by Stalin of dedicated Communist government, military, academic, and cultural (writers, poets, directors, actors) individuals.  To say nothing of the millions of individuals imprisoned, tortured, and killed for such crimes as being taken prisoner by the Germans during WW2, or being anonymously denounced by "someone" at some time, ----or just because Stalin felt like it.

Hilarious.
View Quote

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/death-of-stalin-russia-ban-extremist-armando-iannucci-a8175886.html
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 12:29:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Crabby and I are watching it now and enjoying it. I'm sure it's completely unintentional, but they mock liberals very well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Death of Stalin was fucking funny!
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Cant stand that actress, like nails on a chalkboard.
View Quote
I have loved her for many many years.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 1:25:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Bored out after the second episode. Your "holy crap" title is fairly accurate.

Been watching Peaky Blinders instead. Brummie dialect is hard to follow, but it's not dull. Fuckin' Pikeys.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I want my 4 hours back after watching this.  I kept expecting a twist or pay-off that never really came.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Just finished it today. I thought it was really good. Much better then Umbrella Academy. Just my .02 though.

I'm curious to see if they do a season 2 if it will involve the same folks or if it will be a different person/people sort of like a True Detective type of thing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was one of the better indie films i've seen in years. It was fantastic. Very dark humor though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#22]
is death of stalin on prime ?
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
is death of stalin on prime ?
View Quote
I just checked and it doesn't look like it is available free on Prime. It's on Showtime though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Harry Nilsson - Gotta Get Up (Official Audio)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top