BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 9:38:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sure, 100 years ago in an open industrial sized war over the open water where other industrial scale deterrents like nuclear arsenals and guided missiles from the other side of the planet weren't an option.

not saying submarines are totally useless in a Strategic warfare.  Just saying we don't actually do open industrial strategic warfare any more, and when we do, yet one more billion dollar submarine at a time one doesn't have a competent ground Army, may not be the best investment.  Nobody's strategic warfare plan in the 2000's is seriously going to go that far if the plan is to torpedo enemy shipping into submission; when there are rockets that will go 1000+ miles already for a lot cheaper.  Having a small handful as a deterrent and for the occasional go-fuck-with-that-guy mission makes sense.  Having more then that, gets to diminishing returns of value of investment real fast.  How useful have these been at imposing force into the Ukraine, or embargo'ing the staggering degree of resupply?
View Quote

The Brits screwed the Argies Navy pretty hard with a little bit of SSN play.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yep, the surface fleet is pretty much the same sorry state.  But Putin spent hard the last decade + on improved, wholly new SSBNs, where bang-for-buck is large in the whole threat matrix.  Six Borei class are in commission now - the Suvorov in fact just entered this week, and the next one in line launched this month and will commission next year.  They laid down two more this year.

Personally, one of my side aspirations for the war truly is the hard bankruptcy of the RF or it's self-inflicted break-up so that the big missile sub push gets derailed and/or the fleet diminished.
View Quote
Russian subs are one of the few bright spots in their military, always have been.

You are correct about where he is spending his money. Subs and monster ICBMs.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Velikie Luki is the thing to say, on a bright Hawaiian Christmas Day…Fuck Russia
View Quote

My kids just discovered this song.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#4]
How soon before it becomes a tourist boat?
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They don't have the resources to do half the things they're doing.

But they don't want to not produce these things at all because once they stop, it will take a generation to start them up again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All of which is actually a pretty good summary of the value and quite likely very true.  But you have to admit, expanding the nuclear sub fleet probably isn't where Russia needs to be investing right now.

They don't have the resources to do half the things they're doing.

But they don't want to not produce these things at all because once they stop, it will take a generation to start them up again.

The stupid thing is that Russia is a land nation with no need of naval force. They're so big geographically and have all the natural resources they need, a blue water Navy doesn't do much for them. Their critical need is to have the best theater land forces. Maintaining a Navy detracts from that.

Fuck Russia.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Good.  By all means, Russia should spend their military budget on the diminishing return of yet one more of these useless things, and avoid investing in things like: fuel trucks, training, artillery, or ground-force communications gear.

When's the last time a navy said: "Whew!  Good thing we had those subs - that made the difference and now we won the war" ?
View Quote
US in the Pacific.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Is it me or is the propeller made of brass?

The Russia have pretty good subs. I think it was around 2010 there was one in the Gulf of Mexico that we didn't know about until it crossed back into the Atlantic.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am guessing it has a higher bronze content in the alloy than most, and they polish them very highly when finishing them out.  It will dull-out rapidly in use.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Our sub fleet is a very important part of our Navy.
The ability to fuck you up or even end the world from anywhere virtually undetected is a strong deterrent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When's the last time a navy said: "Whew!  Good thing we had those subs - that made the difference and now we won the war" ?

Our sub fleet is a very important part of our Navy.
The ability to fuck you up or even end the world from anywhere virtually undetected is a strong deterrent.
When standing over the real world Risk board, our enemies have no answer to our 14 Ohio class SBN fleet and their payload.  

Trident II has 12 mirvs x 24 missiles = 288 warheads per boat.

That's 4032 warheads*

Add in the 4 British Vanguard class subs' 768 Trident II warheads and you have 4,800.

* The internet is not consistent regarding the number of mirvs (8-12) and whether all Ohio SSBN have Trident II or some still fielding Trident I (8 mirvs).  But still, that's a lot of "get off my planet" to contend with.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I like the ring of red white and blue balloons around the speaking platform, very American of them.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Fuck Russia , Fuck Putin And Fuck Russian People
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#12]
So when is Europe going to sink it?
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Seems strange you would go to battle stations for 'banter.'

Then again, I don't know jack shit about naval procedures.
View Quote

We weren't at battle stations for banter. We were at battle stations because we were in the area where she was sighted. Then a big let down. Then banter. Then secure battle stations.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When standing over the real world Risk board, our enemies have no answer to our 14 Ohio class SBN fleet and their payload.  

That's 4032 warheads*

Add in the 4 British Vanguard class subs' 768 Trident II warheads and you have 4,800.

* The internet is not consistent regarding the number of mirvs (8-12) and whether all Ohio SSBN have Trident II or some still fielding Trident I (8 mirvs).  But still, that's a lot of "get off my planet" to contend with.
View Quote

Tridents haven't carried that many warheads for decades. US only has 1500 deployed nuclear weapons across the entire triad.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I am an enormous fan of naval mines and P-8s.  But P-8s can’t penetrate and loiter forever, or stealthily. As the Nine-dash line becomes a de facto thing, they can’t do the job - but nor can any single platform.  Also, mines are still fairly “vehicle agnostic” and can’t be used to control things the world ALSO needs, like the Singapore and Malacca Straits and it can’t be done autonomously.  I agree whole heartedly about mining early and often - just like voting in Boston.  LUUVs will also be a fabulous tool in the future but just aren’t there yet from what I can understand.

I noted from some vague DoD releases, that we sent a few different kinds of prototype UUVs to Ukraine, in fact.  May pick up some added lessons learned vs. what we picked up during testing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Naval mines dropped from heavy bombers weren't deployed until near the end of the war. They ended up being the lowest cost per ton sank in both money and lives.

If you want to stop China's shipping fleets, air dropped naval mines will get you there a lot faster than weapons deployed by 68 submarines.

Subs are great when you need stealth, but bombers and naval patrol aircraft are much faster and mines are cheap and can hang around unmanned.

We really need to get on the whole air deployed naval mine thing at the beginning instead of the end.

I am an enormous fan of naval mines and P-8s.  But P-8s can’t penetrate and loiter forever, or stealthily. As the Nine-dash line becomes a de facto thing, they can’t do the job - but nor can any single platform.  Also, mines are still fairly “vehicle agnostic” and can’t be used to control things the world ALSO needs, like the Singapore and Malacca Straits and it can’t be done autonomously.  I agree whole heartedly about mining early and often - just like voting in Boston.  LUUVs will also be a fabulous tool in the future but just aren’t there yet from what I can understand.

I noted from some vague DoD releases, that we sent a few different kinds of prototype UUVs to Ukraine, in fact.  May pick up some added lessons learned vs. what we picked up during testing.

I wonder what a stealthy mine laying platform might look like?

Navy Offers Glimpse Of Its Submarine-Launched Mine Capabilities In The Mediterranean
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Tridents haven't carried that many warheads for decades. US only has 1500 deployed nuclear weapons across the entire triad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's 4032 warheads*

The real question is how many SLBMs the Chicoms are fielding...
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:34:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, START dramatically reduced the throw-weight they can carry, so how many warheads they carry also varies by which ones and the yield mix.

I’ve always speculated what awesome weapons a MIRVd Trident V could be with a kinetic payload instead of a physics package.  I wonder if it’s not time to develop that more (or is it?).  No restrictions on that.  

Quoted:

Navy Offers Glimpse Of Its Submarine-Launched Mine Capabilities In The Mediterranean
View Quote

I’ve read about that a little bit.  Wonder where they are on it because we really could use a lot of those bunkered in Australia and Guam.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I am an enormous fan of naval mines and P-8s.  But P-8s can't penetrate and loiter forever, or stealthily. As the Nine-dash line becomes a de facto thing, they can't do the job - but nor can any single platform.  Also, mines are still fairly "vehicle agnostic" and can't be used to control things the world ALSO needs, like the Singapore and Malacca Straits and it can't be done autonomously.  I agree whole heartedly about mining early and often - just like voting in Boston.  LUUVs will also be a fabulous tool in the future but just aren't there yet from what I can understand.

View Quote
Subs are important especially when you have to have stealth to attack. They can also mine.

But I think we need more emphasis on mine laying capability especially air borne.

The real China could probably use mines as a key factor of defense from the communist.  Ship deployment might be a good choice.

What I have said is fairly primitive. I hope we have people with advanced strategies and knowledge figuring out how mines could change a war against a sea faring giant.

Mines are very much like durable drones that sit around and and wait.

Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's encouraging.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 12:06:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The real question is how many SLBMs the Chicoms are fielding...
View Quote
They are so far behind in Boomer design it seems like they would find alternatives.  The current deployed chicom Boomer is a bad copy of a 80s era Russian design.

They are building a new class but I doubt it will be an Ohio competitor let alone a Columbia.  

Chinese ICBM fields are popping up like mushrooms however.  The Gobi is littered with them.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yeah, START dramatically reduced the throw-weight they can carry, so how many warheads they carry also varies by which ones and the yield mix.

I've always speculated what awesome weapons a MIRVd Trident V could be with a kinetic payload instead of a physics package.  I wonder if it's not time to develop that more (or is it?).  No restrictions on that.  

I've read about that a little bit.  Wonder where they are on it because we really could use a lot of those bunkered in Australia and Guam.
View Quote
Oh it's been developed I imagine, along with the little 5kt warhead.  The problem is when it launches it looks just like a strategic nuke.  

That could get awkward quickly.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 12:10:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yeah, shooting missiles is cool and all but every submariner wants to torpedo some shit.
View Quote

As my son once told me, "There's subs, everything else is a target".

He spent 6 years on subs, both fast attack and boomer.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Oh it's been developed I imagine, along with the little 5kt warhead.  The problem is when it launches it looks just like a strategic nuke.  

That could get awkward quickly.
View Quote

Familiar with that argument, but I think it’s vastly overstated.  Ballistic missiles are used in war nowadays.  The “launch on detect” policy is long gone - if it ever really was a policy.  Launch orders wouldn’t even get executed before impact, so the non-nuclear nature would be apparent.  I think it’s an underutilized tactic, and it is basically free given START and excess capacity and delivery vehicles.  Using them on things like Mischief Reef, etc. would be ideal.  Terribly effective at stopping boomers in port from putting to sea, etc.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They are concealing part of it…you can see a similar part(I have no clue what it’s called) uncovered here, projecting out of the center of the propeller.

View Quote

Its called a vortex dissipator, nothing new and lots of different designs out there. @22caliberKIDD
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It's an upgraded Kilo-class.  The prop is probably not even the oldest or more commonly known piece of tech on it.

Which, that tells you where Russian manufacturing is - they've cranked out three diesel-electric subs.
View Quote

So they're less capable than ze Germans?
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#27]

They have a great track record for losing subs.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Familiar with that argument, but I think it's vastly overstated.  Ballistic missiles are used in war nowadays.  The "launch on detect" policy is long gone - if it ever really was a policy.  Launch orders wouldn't even get executed before impact, so the non-nuclear nature would be apparent.  I think it's an underutilized tactic, and it is basically free given START and excess capacity and delivery vehicles.  Using them on things like Mischief Reef, etc. would be ideal.  Terribly effective at stopping boomers in port from putting to sea, etc.
View Quote
SRBMs (iskander ATACMS) and ICBM/SLBMs don't have the same trajectories.   Upon detection they are classified quickly.  Unless there is an obvious difference in flight characteristics between a conventionally armed Trident and a nuclear one....its a big risk.  You must assume that they would only be used for very high value targets in times of elevated tensions.  

Send a B-21 to do the needful instead. The only argument for using a very expensive ballistic missile with a conventional warhead is global prompt strike.  That would need to be one helluva HVT.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The fact that our submarines haven't sunk tonnage since WW2 is why we (USS Miami) were excited to get orders to hunt and kill an Al-Qaeda drug running ship during the Iraq war in 2003. Our morale was so high when we went to battle stations for it.

But alas, the surface fleet found her first.

Yeah, shooting missiles is cool and all but every submariner wants to torpedo some shit.
View Quote

Now the only "tonnage" they sink is fat girls at port.. true story
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Username checks out...
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
SRBMs (iskander ATACMS) and ICBM/SLBMs don't have the same trajectories.   Upon detection they are classified quickly.  Unless there is an obvious difference in flight characteristics between a conventionally armed Trident and a nuclear one....its a big risk.  You must assume that they would only be used for very high value targets in times of elevated tensions.  

Send a B-21 to do the needful instead. The only argument for using a very expensive ballistic missile with a conventional warhead is global prompt strike.  That would need to be one helluva HVT.
View Quote

You are assuming (as I did until this past spring) Russians still have satellites that can see ICBMs in flight. They do not; lost it.  Conversely, in a war scenario, that we allow the Chinese to keep theirs (we have that ability).  Stopping boomers from launching would indeed be an HVT by definition.  A niche weapon, yes, but extremely useful.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Out of my lane, but most (Naval warships) have anti-mine tech installed, demagnetize the hull etc etc. With that said, I have no idea what modern mines are in use or what anti mine tech is online.

Off to Google...
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You are assuming (as I did until this past spring) Russians still have satellites that can see ICBMs in flight. They do not; lost it.  Conversely, in a war scenario, that we allow the Chinese to keep theirs (we have that ability).  Stopping boomers from launching would indeed be an HVT by definition.  A niche weapon, yes, but extremely useful.
View Quote
They haven't had it for years.  But they do have ground based over the horizon radars.  Similar to our COBRA DANE systems...I think there is a newer one as well.

The Hamsters know about the Russian Woodpecker from the cold war...same thing only newer.

Our satellite systems were infrared plume detection for early warning, so the same problem applies.  A Satan looks like a Satan no matter what the payload is.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Out of my lane, but most (Naval warships) have anti-mine tech installed, demagnetize the hull etc etc. With that said, I have no idea what modern mines are in use or what anti mine tech is online.

Off to Google...
View Quote
Modern mines are sneaky bastards.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I wonder if the provisions and medical supplies for it are from 1950's, just like what was found on captured Russians in Ukraine?
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I wonder if the provisions and medical supplies for it are from 1950's, just like what was found on captured Russians in Ukraine?
View Quote

They like to keep ancient religious artifacts on their ships as shrines..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/russian-warship-sunken-ukraine-war-091746009.html
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yep, the surface fleet is pretty much the same sorry state.  But Putin spent hard the last decade + on improved, wholly new SSBNs, where bang-for-buck is large in the whole threat matrix.  Six Borei class are in commission now - the Suvorov in fact just entered this week, and the next one in line launched this month and will commission next year.  They laid down two more this year.

Personally, one of my side aspirations for the war truly is the hard bankruptcy of the RF or it’s self-inflicted break-up so that the big missile sub push gets derailed and/or the fleet diminished.
View Quote

The bankruptcy will be American
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I am guessing it has a higher bronze content in the alloy than most, and they polish them very highly when finishing them out.  It will dull-out rapidly in use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no idea about submarines, but commercial vessels usually have props made from an alloy called NiBral.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Off to Google...
View Quote

You are in for a shock. ;). DeGaussing nowadays is about like sprinkling on some Holy Water before a gunfight - it will have about the same effect.

Quoted:
They haven't had it for years.  But they do have ground based over the horizon radars.  Similar to our COBRA DANE systems...I think there is a newer one as well.

The Hamsters know about the Russian Woodpecker from the cold war...same thing only newer.

Our satellite systems were infrared plume detection for early warning, so the same problem applies.  A Satan looks like a Satan no matter what the payload is.
View Quote

But a Satan looks like a Satan to an SM-3, also. ;). A fight we can win (I don’t want to fight that fight - just a thought exercise).

Merry Christmas!
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/24/2022 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have no idea about submarines, but commercial vessels usually have props made from an alloy called NiBral.
View Quote

Stainless/Aluminum/Bronze/Nickel are all the main components in propellors, alloyed for different levels of cost/corrosion resistance/machining ease.  So NiBrAl is a colloquial for a specific nickel/bronze/aluminum mix.  I *think* from reading about this a while back, the subs use more bronze on average because for some reason it cavitates less wrt to edge vortices. I don’t know why or if I’m recalling 100% correctly.

Commercial ships use much more expensive mixes that recreational boaters because they don’t haul out, reduced cavitation is good for fuel efficiency and economics, and greater service life.  Subs end up on the crazy $$ end of the alloy matrix because instead of all that, they care greatly about acoustic signature that no one else cares about - thus the elaborate blade design, alloy mix, use of vortex diffusers - and that’s on the non pump-jet boats.  I went down the rabbit hole on this a few years ago when I was looking at prop design wrt to my own small cuddy cabin and also a friend’s old tugboat. Not an expert but got curious.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 1:34:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

They're called Grotopottamous for a reason.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/5ddc336bfd9db244c913783d-460.gif

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/24/2022 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

LoL, I just found this Trident pic on another thread.  I’m waiting for family to get up/active this am; I have to say it’s been one of the more amusing Christmas Eve mornings in memory…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It's an upgraded Kilo-class.  The prop is probably not even the oldest or more commonly known piece of tech on it.

Which, that tells you where Russian manufacturing is - they've cranked out three diesel-electric subs.
View Quote

It's OK - it was prop technology stolen from the US...
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

LoL, I just found this Trident pic on another thread.  I’m waiting for family to get up/active this am; I have to say it’s been one of the more amusing Christmas Eve mornings in memory…

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/556465/2713B525-930F-4A90-A97E-F9D32B3E8B55_jpe-2647202.JPG
View Quote

@Jack67

Minuteman III payload.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#47]
I am become death
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Stainless/Aluminum/Bronze/Nickel are all the main components in propellors, alloyed for different levels of cost/corrosion resistance/machining ease.  So NiBrAl is a colloquial for a specific nickel/bronze/aluminum mix.  I *think* from reading about this a while back, the subs use more bronze on average because for some reason it cavitates less wrt to edge vortices. I don't know why or if I'm recalling 100% correctly.

Commercial ships use much more expensive mixes that recreational boaters because they don't haul out, reduced cavitation is good for fuel efficiency and economics, and greater service life.  Subs end up on the crazy $$ end of the alloy matrix because instead of all that, they care greatly about acoustic signature that no one else cares about - thus the elaborate blade design, alloy mix, use of vortex diffusers - and that's on the non pump-jet boats.  I went down the rabbit hole on this a few years ago when I was looking at prop design wrt to my own small cuddy cabin and also a friend's old tugboat. Not an expert but got curious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stainless/Aluminum/Bronze/Nickel are all the main components in propellors, alloyed for different levels of cost/corrosion resistance/machining ease.  So NiBrAl is a colloquial for a specific nickel/bronze/aluminum mix.  I *think* from reading about this a while back, the subs use more bronze on average because for some reason it cavitates less wrt to edge vortices. I don't know why or if I'm recalling 100% correctly.

Commercial ships use much more expensive mixes that recreational boaters because they don't haul out, reduced cavitation is good for fuel efficiency and economics, and greater service life.  Subs end up on the crazy $$ end of the alloy matrix because instead of all that, they care greatly about acoustic signature that no one else cares about - thus the elaborate blade design, alloy mix, use of vortex diffusers - and that's on the non pump-jet boats.  I went down the rabbit hole on this a few years ago when I was looking at prop design wrt to my own small cuddy cabin and also a friend's old tugboat. Not an expert but got curious.
Bottom side inspections for commercial vessels are a minimum of twice in a five year period, these were 92" nibral props. I wouldn't be surprised that sub props are different, that's a fairly exotic use case with a big budget.

Link Posted: 12/24/2022 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/5ddc336bfd9db244c913783d-460.gif

View Quote

As an HT on AS-32 I can completely relate.. luckily I was in Asia and not many fatties in those ports, although an occasional orangutan was offered up for "services". I'm a sailor but God damn not that hard core...
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top