Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2002 8:50:49 PM EDT
I think he meant assault, among other incorrect spellings. Anyway, I did see the show on the History Chanel and did learn the tolerances are not tight and therefore dirt and grime can be present and allow the rifle to operate. I would not be opposed to "collect" one, but the accuracy and ammo quality would worry me to have one to shoot and have an AR-15 shooting  back. Am I wrong?

http://www.russia.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=6882

"Do you agree that Russia has created the greatest assult rifle in the ak-47? In my opinion (and many other experts) Kalashkinov makes the most reliable weapons in the world. It is also the base for many other european countries standered issued rifles."

Uh......
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe the firearms GD here mentioned that  they are ready to come out with a replacement for it...
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have both an AR and an AK.  I love them both and would happily take eather into battle.  But lets face it, the AK is the most copied rifle out there, thats gotta say something.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I strongly agree that the AK-47 is the greatest rifle of all time ... for the purpose for which it was created.  If you want something more accurate or more powerful, then there are obvious better choises, but the AK has rightfully earned its popularity.  I always laugh at the guys with the AR vs AK discussions.  It's like an argument over what's better, a car or a pickup.  Well, it depends on what you need and can afford.z
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
AK is a great gun if you have troops that may not have a lot of education, training and discipline so they might be slack on weapon maintenance and they are also probably easier to produce without the highest of technology bases-Are they the best choice for well trained full time professional soldiers? Probably not.
View Quote

correct... any ragtag army has one. I believe one of the reasons they are so sucessful with them is in addition to slack tolerances. the armies that employ the ak generaly dont follow any rules during combat.
I guess what im tring to say is that a western army would take longer to say... take over a village due to them following "some rules of engagment"...
while an AK epuiped amry would go in kill everyone in half the time and therefore seen as the "ak army" was more efficent...

any of that make sense to anyone other than me?
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually they have a new one, AN-94, which is better than the AK in many respects as well as more accurate. It's really expensive to manufacture so you won't see to many around for a while.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#9]
[img]http://www.gunsworld.com/gun_ar/graphs/abakan.jpg[/img]

Caliber, mm: 5.45
Cartridge: model 1974, 5.45x39
Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt; moving barrel-receiver-gas drive group for delayed recoil action
Overall length: 943/728mm
Barrel length: 405mm
Magazine capacity, rds 30
Sighting range, m: 700
Cyclic rate of fire, rds/min: [b]1800/600 (1800 in 2 rds fixed burst mode or 2 first shots in full auto mode, all following shots in full auto - w 600 rds/min) [/b]
Weight without magazine: 3850g

This assault rifle was created for the Russian army as a replacement for the A K-74 with greatly improved accracy.This gun is designed with "delayed blowback impulse" gas driven automatics. This gun has 2 rates of fire: 1800 rds/min in fixed burst length 2 shots mode or in full auto mode - for first two rounds (all following rounds in the same burst will be fired with a rate of 600 rds/min). This mode "delays" blowback for first 2 shots and gives greater accuracy. Being formally accepted by Russian Army, it is very doubtful that this AR will replace the "good old" AK-74 in mass service anytime soon.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Actually they have a new one, AN-94, which is better than the AK in many respects as well as more accurate. It's really expensive to manufacture so you won't see to many around for a while.
View Quote
well that and the market has been saturated with aks i bet in a 50 years aks can still be bought on the world market for a 100 bux or so
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#12]
quality of your soldiers' training and leadership is 100x more important than the rifle they are issued as long as the rifle is basically reliable and accurate.
View Quote

agree 100% .. thats why "if"<[i]just for arugments sake[/i]> the ak is a better weapon..  The "ak supplied armies" dont really controll much more than thier local lands..  their training usaully amounts to .. take a village ,, beat chest... now what?

Do you think a better trained unit with combat experience equipped with AKs would lose out to a poorly led reserve unit with no combat experience and low moral just because they had ARs?
View Quote

Leaning towards no on this one.. not cause the ak is better of the ar is better... because in this senerio the better [b]trained[/b] army just happens to be Ak equiped.. the rifle is just a tool... give a dumbass the best sinper rifle in the world and a little [b]wind[/b] . It will propley be a miss.

I think professionals always accomplish these kinds of tasks better whether your primary goal is speed or avoiding loss of your own soldiers/marines.
View Quote

also agreed,, what missing here is basicly only two armies (russia and china) make up the "professional soldiers" of the ak carrying world...  
put two simular trained motivated army in a face off the result will not be determined by the soldier but by the desions and commands given to the soldiers by their leaders..

avoiding loss of your own soldiers/marines
View Quote

with CNN calling the loss of seven brave men in a large scale battle a "loss" the american/world media will do so also.. wether it is or not does not matter in this politicly influened america..  sadly it also affetes the military leadership.

now did [i]any[/i] of that make sense to anyone other than me?   it is late u know...
Top Top