Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/6/2009 8:57:22 AM EST
For guys that work a day job and run before work how far do you run and how often ? I ask because I want to start running. After work is not happening so I figure before work might work out better. I work construction so I can't run too much because I can't tire myself out and not be able to work as hard. So I am looking for what would be a reasonable goal to work my way up to. I am 35 yo.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:07:11 AM EST
3 Miles on Monday and Friday, Five on Wednesday. Tuesday, Thursday are muscle failure.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 10:11:17 AM EST
Originally Posted By sphayes73:
3 Miles on Monday and Friday, Five on Wednesday. Tuesday, Thursday are muscle failure.

Do you do physical work or are you in an office ? And what is muscle failure ?
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 10:54:01 AM EST
6 miles on Tuesdays, 7 on Thursdays. This means getting up at 4:45 on Tuesdays, but I actually feel better the rest of the day than when I try to run in the evening. I have a retail job where I am on my feet all day and trying to run after that is often painful. There are advantages to both morning and evening runs, you just have to find what works and not make it optional.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 11:43:45 PM EST
I pull 12 hour shifts, so it's easier for me to PT after work. like you, I also can't be worn out from PT while @ work. whatever you decide, I would recommend starting slow, perhaps a run/walk to start, and gradually increase distance. also, drop some loot on decent running shoes and socks; money well spent.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 5:00:28 PM EST
after you get fit from running, you should have equal or more energy after a morning run - not less - i cant imagine running after working construction and being on your feet all day

i run both morning and evenings - as someone else stated both have advantages

i find if i do it in the am its out of the way and i feel good the rest of the day - i just personally have to be awake for about an hour and have a lot of coffee to wake up good - i cant stand just getting up and going running right away

i usually run 4-5 miles 40-50 minutes

however sometimes i like to leave work a little early and run in the afternoon around 5-5:30 at a HS track - i like the heat every now and then

also a treadmill is something you should look at getting - there a bit spendy but worth it in the winter time and they make running more efficient - you dont have to drive anywhere, dont have to worry about bad weather - a bit boring but you get used to it with a tv in front of you

i run a lot of races and they are always in the am - overall i feel i run better in the morning
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 5:24:49 AM EST
If you are looking for a running program that will get you in shape this is what you seek. I have been doing it for two weeks and so far I really like it. I recommend you get a Garmin 305 to help with the intervals and it will also give you your exact distance and heart rate.

Once your body gets used to running you will probably find that you have a ton more energy at work then you did before you started running. I work days and I do P90X and the C25K program and I feel very energized at work. It is also a very physical job.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:56:23 AM EST
i would love to run before work again, but... i got to work at 5 am (damn oil fields... but being home at 230 is quite pleasant.) so... i'd have to be up my 4 am to run and shower before work. as it is if im not asleep by 945 i'm exhausted the next day. dont even want to cut an hour of sleep time off. but my schedule is about to change in the winter because of the time change, so i'll try to start then.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:03:16 PM EST
My pre-work runs were anywhere from 3 miles to 6 1/2 miles. Definitely second having more energy/being more productive throughout the day on running days. Just start off gently. Ne point in starting so hard you don't want to keep doing it.

And good shoes = a must.
Top Top