Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 5:39:49 AM EDT
gunsandammomag.com

On the M16:

"We dumped the M16 in water and let it sit there for 30 days. When we pulled it out, it shot with no problems," Rudy Said.

And on the AK47:

"It's heavy, loose and not much good as far as I'm concerned." His unit in Vietnam stood one in the corner of their hooch, but it was rarely touched, and Rudy would not let his men carry it in combat.

One of his favorites was the HK43 chambered for the 5.56 cartridge fed by a 40 rd box magazine. Manufactured by Harrington and Richardson under license from HK, it was light and handy, and Rudy found it easier to clean than the M16. Only 40 were manufactured and issued to Naval Special warfare units.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:45:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I see you get Guns and Ammo.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:47:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Another public display of him being a dope...
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:54:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Good interview with Tommy Franks in this month's American Rifleman. While not hyperbolic like that article, Tommy does understand how the M16 is a superior weapon to the AK-47.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:54:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

?

The water torture test is easy for a AR, its one of those things that it could do that led to the myth that they didn't need cleaning.

A Garand would have rusted solid doing that, or froze depending on the temperature.

It of course helped that the AR was made mostly of aluminum and its steel parts were coated.
But to those used to M1's and M14's and their eccentricities it was interesting at the time.

The AR is more resistant to foreign matter and moisture than its predecessors or the AK.
But on the other hand it dirties itself with powder fouling because of the nature of its gas system.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:58:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I see you get Guns and Ammo.

My wife does
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:06:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1 on that....he may have been a SEAL, but he is dopey....

That Tommy Franks story in the American Rifleman is pretty good, but short...I guess the other 75 pages of anti-Kerry stuff was more important....preaching to the choir....
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:09:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The AR is more resistant to foreign matter and moisture than its predecessors or the AK.

Dude, I like both systems, but you're crazy if you think that the Stoner system as manufactured is tolerant of debris.

My point is that NOBODY with any hint of mental capacity would say that the AK is useless.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:16:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That Tommy Franks story in the American Rifleman is pretty good, but short...I guess the other 75 pages of anti-Kerry stuff was more important....preaching to the choir....

Actually yes it is. The NRA is full of, "you don't need one of those for hunting" folks. It's full of the "ya can't use that for a match" folks it's full of folks who don't understand the second amendment is NOT about sports and hunting. So yes the other 75 pages of anti-sKerry shit is needed and the are not nessesarily preaching to the choir
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:17:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, I like both systems, but you're crazy if you think that the Stoner system as manufactured is tolerant of debris.

My point is that NOBODY with any hint of mental capacity would say that the AK is useless.

Its a closed recever, if the dust cover is closed and something kept in the magwell it is more tolerant of foreign matter, since it has a harder time getting in there.

Its not sealed so tightly that Iraqi talcum fine dust cannot get in

In someplace as wet as the Delta this would not be a problem.  And in some place as wet as the Delta the AK's uncoated steel parts would have rusted quickly and its wood furnature would start to deteriorate faster.  But the biggest problem would be keeping its steel magazines from rusting- and with steel cased ammo the two could rust togeather if stored for a farely short time (months) leading to problems.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:35:48 AM EDT
[#10]
i would take the ar in combat any day, in any country/situation/climate, ahead of the ak

i am not a firearms engineer, but i did stay in a holiday inn last year
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:09:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually yes it is. The NRA is full of, "you don't need one of those for hunting" folks. It's full of the "ya can't use that for a match" folks it's full of folks who don't understand the second amendment is NOT about sports and hunting. So yes the other 75 pages of anti-sKerry shit is needed and the are not nessesarily preaching to the choir

And hence why I throw it in the big box in the basement after I thumb though it in 2.5 seconds....YAWN
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Bosch simply saw too many AKs pack up, or be found unoperative to have faith in the type anymore.

There were a lot of guys in Nam in 1965-66 during the no-cleaning-kit days who saw packed up and broken ARs and never liked the type again afterward.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:30:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And hence why I throw it in the big box in the basement after I thumb though it in 2.5 seconds....YAWN

So they should change the entire magazine because you get it? Sadly those 75 pages are needed,  just look at the battleground states.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh, man!  I can't wait until Campybob sees this thread!  Hell will break loose, I tell ya!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I understand that soldiers would have been reluctant to pick one up since the distinctive sound of the discharge of the AK could easily draw friendly fire in the dense underbrush based on the sound alone...even if this isn't the case, I would certainly be concerned about it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#17]
There is a reason the M16 and it's variants are used the world over.

There is a reason the AK47 and it's variants are used the world over.

If you take reasonable care of either weapon they will serve you well.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:41:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
1. ignorance can be cured.

2. stupidity is forever.

i will not dignify the assinine comments made in this thread with the drubbing they so richly deserve.

to do so would not only be a waste of my time,  but only reinforce the fact that most people that make such statements fall into catagory 2.

go over to the ak board and see the pic of the u.s. soldier with the magnificent sako m92/92 in his hands.

KALASHNIKOV! accept NO substitute!!

over 100 million customers proudly served!

Amen brother - preach it!  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I would choose a "KALASHNIKOV" over an M16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top