Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2006 1:25:43 PM EDT
After spending 2 hours screwing around with Windows 2000 networking, it turns out the reason I was getting an APIPA address (169.254.x.x) instead of an address from DHCP (192.168.1.x) was because one of the ethernet ports on the router died. So, Windows 2000, being user-friendly and all, silently provided me with the APIPA address, which, of course, has the unfriendly side-effect of making the machine unavailable on the local network.

Of course, the LEDs were lit up on the router, so I assumed the port was okay.

I swapped the cable to another port, and now I am in DHCP heaven again.

Anyway, I need a new router because the one port is fried and it doesn't support WPA regardless. I am running 128-bit WEP, which from what I have heard here sucks.

Is this one cool?

LINKSYS WRT54GX IEEE 802.3, 802.3u, 802.11b/g Wireless Router - Retail

Seems kinda pricey.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:54:21 PM EDT
[#1]
You would need the SRX client card to match the router to get any benefit.  Just get the standard WRT54G.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#2]
That is an exellent router.

DO NOT get a WRT54G.  If you are gonna go with something more basic, get the WRT54GL.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

DO NOT get a WRT54G.  If you are gonna go with something more basic, get the WRT54GL.

What is wrong with a WRT54G?  I have been using several since the time they came out, and they have been nothing but excellent for me.  We also use several at the Network and Internetworking Teaching Lab at GVSU, one of the best architecture teaching labs in the country.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Why Not  get a WRT54G?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is wrong with a WRT54G?  I have been using several since the time they came out, and they have been nothing but excellent for me.  We also use several at the Network and Internetworking Teaching Lab at GVSU, one of the best architecture teaching labs in the country.

There WAS, nothing wrong with the WRT54G.  Until they came out with the version 5 (software based on VxWorks, with reduced flash memory and RAM), and it sucks major donkey balls.  You can no longer use 3rd party firmware on the WRT54G.  That is why they released the WRT54GL, moving away from the ability to use 3rd party firmware caused a shitstorm, and they re-released a linux compatible version, the WRT54GL.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why Not  get a WRT54G?

I explained it in my last post, but it is probably over your head anyways.  WRT54G v5 SUCKS ASS, and anyone who would actually want one is a douche.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There WAS, nothing wrong with the WRT54G.  Until they came out with the version 5 (software based on VxWorks, with reduced flash memory and RAM), and it sucks major donkey balls.  You can no longer use 3rd party firmware on the WRT54G.  That is why they released the WRT54GL, moving away from the ability to use 3rd party firmware caused a shitstorm, and they re-released a linux compatible version, the WRT54GL.

so old WRT54G = Good, New = the suck?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

so old WRT54G = Good, New = the suck?

That pretty much sums it up.  And since you will not know what version you get until you open the box and look at the bottom of it, I reccomend staying away from them.  Spend the 4 extra dollars or whatever it is, and get a WRT54GL.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#9]
What about the WRT54GX?  I have one of those and my opinion,  it sucks ass.  I can get to most websites but some websites like gmail and ebay, I can't click on any links.  For example I can search for "useless junk" on Ebay and get a million links for stuff but when I click on any of the links, it just times out.

Same with Gmail, I get to gmail.com fine,  put my login name and password in and hit enter and it just times out.

It does this on a few websites.    I hate it. Plus it locks up about every day and I have to power it off by yanking the cord.  

I hate it.

Anyone recommend a better home router system?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:42:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What about the WRT54GX?  I have one of those and my opinion,  it sucks ass.  I can get to most websites but some websites like gmail and ebay, I can't click on any links.  For example I can search for "useless junk" on Ebay and get a million links for stuff but when I click on any of the links, it just times out.

Same with Gmail, I get to gmail.com fine,  put my login name and password in and hit enter and it just times out.

It does this on a few websites.    I hate it. Plus it locks up about every day and I have to power it off by yanking the cord.  

I hate it.

What is your budget?

A SonicWall is the best there is, and is what I use, but it probalby way too expensive for most people.

Linksys I think is still the best consumer router manufacturer out there, I just do not like their transition to VxWorks.  Since the WRT54G v. 5 came out, my companies tech support calls for routers has gone up dramatically.  We have since gone to selling the L version, and no problems so far.  They should have never even considered VxWorks for their new WRT54G.

A WRT54GL with a good set of 3rd party linux firmware would be your best bet
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought you made wooden signs with a router.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I would stay away from Linksys. I have had nothing but problems with the WRT54G. My third 1 just took a crap on me this afternoon. They work good but if you download alot especially torrents the router dies within a couple of weeks. The same thing happened to my friend and his WRT54G. A month of downloading torrents and the router got screwy.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What is your budget?

A SonicWall is the best there is, and is what I use, but it probalby way too expensive for most people.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What is your budget?

What's so damn funny?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What is your budget?

What's so damn funny?

SonicWall is FAR from the best there is, though it's arguably a step up from the Linksys.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I heard the WRT54G is shit too, mostly because of the v5 software as adair_usmc mentioned.

The WRT54GL is probably the best way to go if you plan to use OpenWrt or DD-WRT, but I don't plan on using third-party firmware, so I'll probably go with the WRT54GX.

I suppose $130 isn't too much to spend.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:02:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I thought you made wooden signs with a router.

That's what I thought.
We must be old farts
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:59:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What is your budget?

What's so damn funny?

SonicWall is FAR from the best there is, though it's arguably a step up from the Linksys.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:30:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Aw, forget it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate it.

What is your budget?

Linksys I think is still the best consumer router manufacturer out there, I just do not like their transition to VxWorks.  Since the WRT54G v. 5 came out, my companies tech support calls for routers has gone up dramatically.  We have since gone to selling the L version, and no problems so far.  They should have never even considered VxWorks for their new WRT54G.

A WRT54GL with a good set of 3rd party linux firmware would be your best bet

so what about the WRT54GLX? Can I use third party linux firmware on that?  My budget, like all budgets is flexible,  the less I spend on the router, the more I have for guns.

That being said, I would be happy to pay a couple hundred bucks for a router that would provide me wireless,  stay up and running more than a week at a time and not constantly flake out on me.

I haven't looked into the Sonic Wall routers but will start.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#21]
We use sonicwalls for our customers that need stateful packet inspection level firewalls.

Of course most nerds will say to use cisco but whatever, i like sonicwalls and they work well for my customers and I. Sonicwall support is great also if you ever have a problem.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
We use sonicwalls for our customers that need stateful packet inspection level firewalls.

Of course most nerds will say to use cisco but whatever, i like sonicwalls and they work well for my customers and I. Sonicwall support is great also if you ever have a problem.

Yep.

Kind of overkill for most people though.  Very expensive too.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#23]
OK so does anyone have some recommendations for a good HOME router that's affordable?  I'm willing to go high end but if there are any decent ones made for home use that'd be the best.

any recommendations?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Just have your Sonicwall software image handy if you ever factory default the router.   The factory default procedure also blows away the software ... nice touch.

Most home users will never need more than the typical $50 broadband router.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
OK so does anyone have some recommendations for a good HOME router that's affordable?  I'm willing to go high end but if there are any decent ones made for home use that'd be the best.

any recommendations?

If it is a wired router... I would recommend Netgear.  The wired Netgear stuff usually works well, but their wireless leaves something to be desired.

If it's Wireless, probably Linksys will be your best choice.

As for the Sonicwall stuff... get a Watchgaurd  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#26]
hell, I thought you was talking about the thing that chews wood at the edge of a board

dummer 'n hale
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
There WAS, nothing wrong with the WRT54G.  Until they came out with the version 5 (software based on VxWorks, with reduced flash memory and RAM), and it sucks major donkey balls.

Came in late but that about sums it up as far as the 54's are concerned.  Good router, has several user configurable options.  I chose to get an older one via the internet that I was able to upgrade to a better firmware version, (pre v.5 which is unable to accept earlier versions) and it has worked well with my wireless home network.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#28]
If you want to go high end, you can get a Netscreen (now Juniper).
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Get a DeWalt.  They rock.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top