Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2002 7:13:14 PM EDT
Daltrey, at the NYC concert recently, talking about the bonds between the U.S. and England:

"Through two world wars, and you basically saved our ass, and we don't forget our friends."

Nice to know that not every Brit is a commie twit.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Roger Daltrey is an Old Fart tho'.  It was 1966 and a couple of friends spent some time drinking and fighting our way across Scotland and the north of England.  It was a strange time with almost constant conflict between Mods and Rockers.  About June we had enough money to catch a rock-n'-roll show at an old WW2 armory on the road between Dundee and Edinburgh.  Big empty place with a wall down the middle.  For a couple pounds you got to see Roger and The Who doin' My G-G-G-Generation on one side of the wall.  For a pound more there was another band we'd never heard of on the other side of the wall.  The Who was about what we expected but the other band was a mystery to us at the time.  Couldn't figure out what they were about.  Bought the album of theirs off the stage tho' and still have it.  Piper at the Gates of Dawn by some band called Pink Floyd.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#2]
WHO?

[:D]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:07:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
WHO?

View Quote

That's them...Roger Daltrey, Pete Townsend, (the late) Keith Moon and the bass player I can never remember till he does that dumbass "Spider" song.  The Who!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#4]
John Entwistle.

Kenny Jones was sort of a member, but he was no KEITH!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Chairborne you got it dead center.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#6]
FWIW Kenny Jones was every bit the drummer that Keith Moon was and IM(not so humble)O better. Kenny Jones will never be regarded as a member of the Who just as what's his name who replaced Brian Jones will never be a member of The Rolling Stones. I have been a Who fan as long as I can remember. Keith Moons death really sucked. Funny I should lock onto this thread right now as I'm listening to Roger Dalty's "Under a Raging Moon" tribute to Keith Moon. From his "After The Fire" album from 86.

"Taking me back to better times. We never read the danger signs. Why are the young so blind?"
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Sukebe, I don't know if Keith's stage presence can ever be replaced.  Sometimes there was just pure madness in his eyes.  Like Mick Fleetwood got the idea for his weird looks from Keith but toned them down.  Sitting back there in his trap set Keith would just go physically crazy playing his ass off.  The Who were always a very visual band but sometimes you'd just lose all Pete's jumping and swinging-arm guitar and Roger's twirling microphone just watching Keith.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#8]
RON WOOD IS A ROLLING STONE.

Now Mick Taylor . . . well . . . he was *sorta* a Stone.  Did some great work with them for sure.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, Kenny Jones doesn't have the stage presence that the "Wild Man" had. I was only commenting on their respective techincal skills. Just to add that Kenny Jones always seemed to be just a replcemnt. Then again so was Ringo Starr. Kenny Jones just came too late.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah but if Ringo ever dies Yasser Arafat can sit in for him and nobody will ever know!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah but if Ringo ever dies Yasser Arafat can sit in for him and nobody will ever know!
View Quote

The nose is the same.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Yasser's chops might be better.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yasser's chops might be better.
View Quote

And he brings a devoted fan base.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL.  I hear the rack calling.  C'ya later Sukebe.

G'night.[|)]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL.  I hear the rack calling.  C'ya later Sukebe.

G'night.[|)]
View Quote

Last word.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:03:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Did anybody ever see the old film clip of Keith Moon using a FA Thomson SMG to shoot skeet with gold records?  Think it was part of an old Rock and Roll movie.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:26:26 AM EDT
[#17]
As a musician, listening to and playing along with old Who records with Keith Moon as their drummer is an exercise in frustration. He speeds up and slows down, comes in at the wrong points as the rest of the band on albums such as The Who By Numbers, Who's Next, and The Who Sell Out. Both John Entwistle and Andy Johns (producer who worked with KM) spoke about his time problem (which he did not bother to correct), and have noted in interviews that one did not listen to KM while playing with him, but rather watched him to see when and where his drumsticks would land next. Haphazard, if you're on the receiving end!

BUT as a listener, he was, I freely admit, pretty exciting, and he filled in a lot of gaps in the band's music, which was basically a power trio, fronted by a self-admitted mediocre guitarist and an above-average bassist, who played his bass in the same manner as Keith Moon- fill up the spaces left between notes on the guitar and in the vocals.

The Who's main strengths lay in their two strong songwriters - without them, even their on- and off-stage publicity and stunts could not have made them into enduring legends.

This coming from me, somebody who has EVERYTHING the WHO put out until 1978- but after that, with Kenny Jones, a workmanlike and technically solid drummer, but unexciting, it was all, as the Bard said, "dross".....

*I even have an original 45 I bought in 1967 of "Mary-Anne With The Shaky Hands" b/w "Dogs"!![:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top