Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/16/2015 7:53:02 PM EDT
You know them, you probably see them every day driving to work, someone dies in a car accident and the family or friends come out and put up a cross, some flowers, maybe some balloons, and then keep coming back and putting new stuff every week/month/year...

I guess I just don't understand.  If you want to go put stuff on their grave, or whatever kind of internment place they ended up with, where the actual body or ashes or remains are, I kind of understand, but the side of the roadway?  Like I said, I don't get it... can anyone explain it to me?

In all the religions I'm familiar with, there is nothing that ties the spirit to the location of the persons death, so what am I missing?

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Imagine if people did this shit in hospitals!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Reminds people to slow the fuck down around here.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#3]
If it makes them feel better, leave them alone to put stuff there.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Real big in Mexico.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Pictured: OP

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Real big in Mexico.
View Quote

Big here in NEW Mexico, too (which is older than Mexico.)

I think they legally have to be left alone or something like that. Other states will clear them after a few years.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#7]
It's probably the same people that make Memorial Rear Windows.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#8]
No one can explain it to you. No further comment is needed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Think it's a cultural thing. We got a bench dedicated to him.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#10]
identical white cross markers in MT
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed. Everybody grieves in their own way. Until I lose a loved one in a roadside mishap I'll keep my opinions about these shrines to, myself.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:03:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:05:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Seems like I've heard of judges sentencing drunk drivers who killed people to erect and maintain a memorial at the site of the accident for a period of a year or so.

I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Think it's a cultural thing. We got a bench dedicated to him.
View Quote
If by culture you mean Hispanic, yes.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:08:23 PM EDT
[#16]
But it does seem to be relatively new phenomenon.  I don't remember seeing that stuff 25 - 30 years ago, at least in the northeast.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't want your deado crap on my property. Put in in a cemetery or on YOUR property.

While I may feel for your loss, I don't want to see it and I certainly don't want to see it on my property.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I don't want your deado crap on my property. Put in in a cemetery or on YOUR property.

While I may feel for your loss, I don't want to see it and I certainly don't want to see it on my property.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#19]
we mow it if its on the right of way
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Thank goodness they have pretty much disappeared around here. All you have to do is call VADOT and they remove them after the first complaint if they are on the state's right-of-way.....The town got shed of them long ago.  

BTW....I think the bereaved red-necks have moved on to those "In loving memory of...." car window stickers.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I see them around here north of Seattle on the +50mph back highways / country roads.

I understand why the loved ones do it. I just don't get it either. But if it makes them feel better .... who am I to judge them ?

It sure as hell makes me be more careful on those roads where I see them. I also avoid them when alternate routes exist ( especially night time ) Most are narrow 2 lane highways with no medium - divider. easy to see how the fatal wreck happened in the first place.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#23]
As a tier one operator, I take them out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I always thought they were pretty morbid. Why memorialize the place where a friend or loved one probably died a horrible/painful death, possibly under the influence?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Thank goodness they have pretty much disappeared around here. All you have to do is call VADOT and they remove them after the first complaint if they are on the state's right-of-way.....The town got shed of them long ago.
View Quote

Virginia State Trooper Jose Cavazos was shot and killed during a traffic stop on the Dale City exit ramp off I-95, on Feb. 24, 1993. All these years, there's been a shrine to his memory (a cross and flowers) at the spot where he was killed. I don't think that shrine is coming down anytime soon.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/459-trooper-ii-jose-m-cavazos
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:56:37 PM EDT
[#26]
speed kills...they're just more warning/example signs of a potential fuck-up about to occur
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#27]
White trash sort of thing.  They all want everyone to know their business Jerry Springer like, even in death.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's probably the same people that make Memorial Rear Windows.
View Quote

If anyone memorializes me on the back window of their 1993 Silverado I will haunt them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#29]
There's a shit ton of them in KY. Most are just a simple white cross, but lately they seem to be getting more and more extravagant. There is one that had a light up Christmas tree and multiple flowers crosses and other assorted stuff.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#30]
There is one that sticks in my mind reading this ....

Two I think teenage boys where killed in a head on crash on the xway in front of the Ford truck plant in Louisville.
I remember them stopping traffic going both ways the helicopter showing up etc.

Anyway .... The next day it looks like someone put up a store ... With crosses, pictures, lots & LOTS of balloons & stuffed animals.
To this day somebody keeps pretty well stocked minus all the balloons.

I myself don't see anything wrong with it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:14:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Nothing says "I miss you" like stopping on the shoulder of a busy highway to build a shrine and risk your own dumb ass in the process.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#32]
It's the white people version of the tshirts with airbrushed memorials on them that black people do.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:18:33 PM EDT
[#33]
New York & PA has them due to 9/11.  I think people feel connected to their love ones OP.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#34]
I hate those things.
I have a feeling they are mostly scumbags, decent folks don't do that sort of trashy stuff.
They are probably the same people with the "in loving memory" stickers on the back window of their shitty car and tattooed on their neck.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd rather be memorialized in a place that I loved in life than the place I died.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's the white people version of the tshirts with airbrushed memorials on them that black people do.

View Quote

I have seen those shirts, they are super trashy. I laugh out loud at the sight of them...lucky for me I am a pretty big guy, so they don't say shit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#37]
It helps to understand this behavior if you live in a trailer park and married your cousin.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I hate those things.
I have a feeling they are mostly scumbags, decent folks don't do that sort of trashy stuff.
They are probably the same people with the "in loving memory" stickers on the back window of their shitty car and tattooed on their neck.
View Quote

Not nearly as trashy as the sentiment you just expressed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I have seen those shirts, they are super trashy. I laugh out loud at the sight of them...lucky for me I am a pretty big guy, so they don't say shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you die, I'm going to have one made to memorialize you.  Big airbrushed headshot of your face.  Tshirt that is 4 sizes too big, and hangs to my knees.  RIPKTMSX #rideorangeorgohome

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/550/771/7ac.jpg

In town here there was a kid killed when his speeding car took on a tree and lost in someones front yard.

The grieving parents kept building a memorial in the front yard of the house that it happened until they owners finally complained and had an ordinance passed prohibiting the practice. I get that you lost a loved one, but damn, rotting teddy bears and mylar balloons are not a memorial.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

When you die, I'm going to have one made to memorialize you.  Big airbrushed headshot of your face.  Tshirt that is 4 sizes too big, and hangs to my knees.  RIPKTMSX #rideorangeorgohome

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I loled.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Yep! It's not hurting anyone.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Are Christians the only ones who wreck? I don't ever see any other memorials.

Are they really that bad at driving?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Seems like I've heard of judges sentencing drunk drivers who killed people to erect and maintain a memorial at the site of the accident for a period of a year or so.

I could be wrong.
View Quote

Half of them are for the drunk drivers.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:37:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

God sucks at driving, and since He's the co-pilot....
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#46]
It was big in Central America when I was down there in the 80's, and it migrated north like everything else.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
But it does seem to be relatively new phenomenon.  I don't remember seeing that stuff 25 - 30 years ago, at least in the northeast.
View Quote

It was not uncommon 35-40 yrs ago in Nebraska and Kansas. A large Hispanic population was though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#48]
the one that really irritated me was the cross carved into the bark of a very old oak tree.  About 4' long.  It wasn't their property to do so and it wasn't a car accident.  Teenager hung himself in the woods across the road.  

I feel bad for the family as that's tragic as hell but who the heck do they think they were carving up a 100 year old tree that they didn't own?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#49]
It's so that when you're distracted by looking at it you can get killed in nearly the same spot.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's a pretty trashy thing to say, too, honestly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top