Monday-  Leon, Iowa to Colorado Springs 750 Miles
Tuesday- Colorado SPrings to Sturgis 450 Miles

Back to Colorado Springs on Wednesday- 450 Miles

Colorado SPrings back home the following Tuesday 750 miles

Chariot-  2004 Harley 1200 Roadster

patsue
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:21:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure you take a camera and bring back lotsa pics.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]
umm, well that depends on what kind of seat you have. but pretty much yes. if you have a stock seat, definatly, about 1180 miles or so of the way. if you have a mustang seat, it wont really hurt if at all. btw, getting the 1200cc didnt save your fanny either.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:38:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Will my rear hurt?

It depends on how much "padding" you have on your bottom.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Corbin
www.corbin.com/

Sargent Motorcycle
www.sargentcycle.com/default2.html

Mustang Motorcycle Seats
www.mustangseats.com/

10 to 1 that Corbin has a booth there and has a seat for you.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I rode to the hill country about 350 miles away on my F4 and I was fine.

Do you have a windshield?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:45:37 PM EDT
[#6]
My 1200 was a Paint Shaker. My feet and hands went numb after 100 miles. Sometimes I would have to stop just to shake my hands out because I could not tell how hard I was holding on.

Its a shame that when HD went upscale they shit on their long time customers.
I would push my bike to Stugis before I ever step foot into a  HD dealership. (rant off)

Ride safe and keep the rubber side down.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Look for a Firefighter Edition Road King and a Black and Blue Sportster together.  If you see the two guys with them, say "Tell Matt hi"
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:11:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Bring the Ben-Gay... I did Detroit to Seattle (41 hours total time WITH 10 hours of sleep) and my ass was fucking toast. I highly recommend earplugs if you don't already use them for trips.

Dave
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:15:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Will my rear hurt?

patsue

Why going to CO Springs, from Iowa?  And then to South Dakota?

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:26:57 AM EDT
[#10]
... I did that run from Arizona 10 years ago. I had an absolute blast because I took my time. Never really enjoyed sitting in the saddle all day long, just too much you're missing.

... Wouldn't ride my new chopper, I'd toy-hauler it.

... In '95 we camped out so I shipped my camping gear there and back home when done - worked out great.

... Have fun, and yeas, take lots of pictures.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:36:05 AM EDT
[#11]
My ass hurts after 100 miles - good luck.

I have a friend who invited me to come with her to Sturgis this year.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:25:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Will my rear hurt?

patsue

I am going on vacation and riding my bike to my wife's folks ranch in Colorado with her and my son in the car.  I will stay all night with them and then head up to Sturgis the next day.  I want my 8 year old to ride with me on and off on the way to Colorado.

I know it doesn't make sense, but that is the way I am doing it.

patsue
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:26:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
umm, well that depends on what kind of seat you have. but pretty much yes. if you have a stock seat, definatly, about 1180 miles or so of the way. if you have a mustang seat, it wont really hurt if at all. btw, getting the 1200cc didnt save your fanny either.

I have a Mustang wide vintage seat and passsenger pad and also a large quick release windshield on the bike.

patsue
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:31:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Corbin
www.corbin.com/

Sargent Motorcycle

Mustang Motorcycle Seats
www.mustangseats.com/

This IS the magic answer!
A Corbin saddle will go a long way to ease the monkey butt.
The links are in an order I would agree with as well.
Sargent is a relative newcomer, but makes a good product at a fair price.
Mustang is a long time player, but thier seats are only marginally stiffer than stock.

Unfortunately, saddles wont fix the short wheelbase or frame geometry that gives a Sporty such a choppy ride.

DaddyDett

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:25:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Will my rear hurt?

patsue

I am going on vacation and riding my bike to my wife's folks ranch in Colorado with her and my son in the car.  I will stay all night with them and then head up to Sturgis the next day.  I want my 8 year old to ride with me on and off on the way to Colorado.

I know it doesn't make sense, but that is the way I am doing it.

patsue

Gotcha.

However, "CO Springs - Sturgis: 450miles".....thats a little off.  It's 430mi. from my house which is in central Kansas to CO Springs to my buddies house.

Have fun and be safe.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:40:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#17]
You will be able to laugh at the trailer-draggin whimps who haul their scooters to Sturgis then pose with them. Your ass will likely hurt, but anything that's worth doing will cause some retrospection!

The freak show is above the saloon on the main drag in Keystone. It's the place to spend an afternoon watching all the titties whilst having a cold beer.

You gotta make the pigtail bridges road from Keystone into the State Park. That's the loop through the park where you can race buffalo! Don't loose! That loop takes better part of a day, but it's some of the most stunning scenery in the Black Hills.

The museum at Elmendorf AFB is worth seeing too.

The Buffaler Chip Campground outside Sturgis is a hoot after dark, and a good place to camp if you are ust living outta your fart sack and saddlebags.

I wish I was gonna make it this year. I'm jealous....you sux!

Ride safe and have a ball!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:33:23 AM EDT
[#18]
your ass won't hurt....it will be numb

your lower back will hurt

might as well take the advil now
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#19]
it will hurt but it's worth it. Have fun maybe I'll see you around. I'm staying in Custer right now but I'll be in Sturgis most of the week.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Will my rear hurt?

patsue

I think you'll be fine, with the new rubber mounts it should be smooth as glass.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Will my rear hurt?

patsue

I think you'll be fine, with the new rubber mounts it should be smooth as glass.

+1 - no prob
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Elmendorf AFB is in Alaska, not South Dakota

The vast majority of bikes you see around these parts are being towed and not ridden as all the posers are afraid of riding to Sturgis.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Will your ass hurt?

Depends on how many "male friends" you'll be sharing a bed with.

But seriously, interstate travel via bike is worth it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#24]
A bit of a hijack:  Is the sturgis rally a harley-only type thing, or are other makes welcome?

<-- knows basically nothing about it, other than when I was about 10 or so our family camping trip to the black hills ended up accidentally corresponding to the sturgis rally -- all I remember from it was "that's a lot of motorcycles"

<-- eventually will have a bike.  probably won't be a harley (don't like their new reputation as the mid-life-crisis machine).  eventually will go to things like sturgis.  and will ride, not tow, the bike there.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:39:18 AM EDT
[#25]
I rode mine in 2000.

Trick worth knowing. I found every possible riding position in the 3500 miles I put on. The best remedy for a sore ass? Raise your weight up off it for a few minutes and let the blood back in. You will find this to work well. Stop every 2 hours and stretch a little. Drinklots of water,

You will have a great time!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The vast majority of bikes you see around these parts are being towed and not ridden as all the posers are afraid of riding to Sturgis.

... Not necessarily true. Did 3150 miles in the saddle in '95. I ain't no poser, I've just seen the merits of a toy-hauler. Especially if you're riding a Sporty or chopper like I do now. You have your "motel" right there with you, in any given town or country-side you can just pull over and ride as much as you want than return to the motel for a few brews and retire - all the convenience of home and a nice ride to boot. That's sweetness to me

... I just got now home from a nice ride to Canyon Lake - a couple hours round-trip and a sammich in between. Now that's a near-perfect ride for me.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#27]
BE PREPARE FOR A LLLOOONNNNNNGGGGGGGG  LLIINNEESSSS(LONG LINES),
SUCH AS RESTROOMS..POTRA POTTIES..HEHEHEH
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:05:45 PM EDT
[#28]
THough about going.
I'm just a weekend warrior though.
Just got an '06 night train two days ago. I just had a stage 1 kit put on it what ever the hell that is. The dealer said it was a must have. Well I own a Harley now, but really not into the biker lifestyle.
I'm looking for a scabbard for my shotgun for it!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Enjoy the trip.  I rode my 1977 sporty to the AMA vintage bike show in Ohio a few weeks ago.   900 miles in  the saddle in 4 days.  (Ya,  I did go out of the way coming home.)

bike loaded with camping gear for the weekend.
the Corbin solo seat is hard.  planning to change it over the winter.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Now, see, that there is a Real bike.

Dave (who mostly like fast sport bikes but enjoys anything with 2 wheels)
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:47:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Now, see, that there is a Real bike.

Dave (who mostly like fast sport bikes but enjoys anything with 2 wheels)

Dave,  even after rereading your post I'm not sure if you are complementing my bike,  WW's bike or maybe even Patsue's.  
But I will thank  you anyway.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:15:27 AM EDT
[#32]
G Gordon Liddy rode there last week. He's on Radioamerica (no air america that liberal POS internet thing)...

M4-AK
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:19:11 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Corbin
www.corbin.com/

Sargent Motorcycle

Mustang Motorcycle Seats
www.mustangseats.com/

Genius....pure genius!

I bet they sell a truck load of em'.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#34]
... Live camera on Main Street in Sturgis, SD

Camera

ETA: Man, that camera zooms out forever!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Just Got Back!!!  At least to Colorado.  What a blast that was!  Yeah, long lines, motorcycle traffic jams, but what a great time.  I will post some pics when I get home from vacation.  I am on my wifes parents computer right now and it is dial up slow.

My butt is sore from the 1300 miles I have ridden in the last 4 days, but what a blast.  You can't imagine how many people there are up there!

Rode to Mt. Rushmore, all around Deadwood, Hill City, Crazy Horse Mountain, and several trips on the strip in Sturgis itself.  You probably drive past 20,000 bikes in about 15 minutes on the main drag. Got to meet Arlen Ness and have a picture of us together to post when I get home.  People were very nice, looking out for eachother.  Lots of husbands and wives.  Several women who should have been wearing more.  As in their prime past a long time ago.

I will try to post one pic here and see how long it takes,

Patsue

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#36]
I shrunk the pics down in paint, but the photoserver won't upload them.  I get a message that they must be in jpg format to upload.  They are in Jpg format!

Have to try when I get home

patsue
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Sounds like you had fun,  can't wait to see your pictures.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I knew that... What the hell is the AFB just East of Rapid City? The B-1 base.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#40]
I hate the monkey butt.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#41]
get your self  a piece of sheep skin for the saddle, will keep your ass from sweating
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:33:35 AM EDT
[#43]
I am stranded in Colorado sicker then a dog.  Saturday, my gut started to hurt and now I am totally sick with some sort of intestinal flu.  I want to die.  We were supposed to ride back to Iowa today but I ain't going nowhere.  Going to the doctor in a bit in Limon, CO.  Hope I can get some relief from the cramps.

By the way, a biker was killed up at Sturgis last week when a porta potty fell off a truck and caused him to wreck.  What a way to go.

patsue
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#44]
I read about that death on another board.  Heard there were 6 bikers killed around Sturgis during bike week.

Sorry to hear you are sick.  Hope you get over it soon.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#45]
I just got back from vacationing in the Black Hills saturday. Didn't intend to but was there during the Sturgis rally.  Every town and city within a couple hundred miles was swamped with bikes. We were camped in Custer State Park and the bikes were all over the place.

I have to say that most of the bikers we met were pretty nice, lots of middle aged couples.  I do have something to say to Harley riders. GET A FRIGGIN MUFFLER! It was pretty fun waking up to the sound of unmuffled engines each moring at 6-7 am. I feel sorry for the locals having to listen to the noise for a couple weeks.

Yeah, yeah, I know, don't go if you don't like loud inconsiderate a-holes on bikes.

I am not anti-motocycle, I have 6 motorcycles. Of course mine have mufflers on them.

BTW, isn't a Sportster considers a girl's bike by the Harley crowd?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#46]

I knew that... What the hell is the AFB just East of Rapid City? The B-1 base.

Ellsworth AFB
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:29:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Finally Home!  Some pics from Sturgis!  Too bad I got sick later in the week, and probably ruined my Saturn car's engine from low oil.  (See my Saturn thread)

Arlen Ness Jet Bike

More Arlen Ness Bikes

Me with Arlen (can you tell I like his stuff?)

Me on the main drag through town (I am starting to think that self pics look corny)

Indian Larry Bike

Me and my friend Bob.  He and his son own Fat Baggers Inc.  (FBI) Incidently, the last issue of American Iron Magazine featured one of thier bikes in the center spread.

Me as I left the rally.  Pic taken in front of the Deadwood, SD sign on my way back to my inlaws in Colorado.  Little did I know I was about to get as sick as I have ever been with an intestinal virus 1.5 days later.

patsue
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:48:59 AM EDT
[#48]

Interesting bike...

Yet another Arlen Ness...

These two ladies were in thier 70s and 80s-  see the cane?

Big Wheel powered by a real Dodge Hemi engine!  From the Dodge tent

Cool Bike

Crazy Horse Memorial-  See the face on the mountain?

Incidently, I did approx. 2400 miles on my sportster for this trip.  Mustang seat made it possible.  I don't think I could have done it without that seat.  It was not easy with the seat either, but it was doable.  If anyone has questions about the trip feel free to IM me.

That is all for now

patsue
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:06:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Cool pics!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:19:30 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=2153&iGalleryUnq=412&iImageUnq=40865
Me and my friend Bob.  He and his son own Fat Baggers Inc.  (FBI) Incidently, the last issue of American Iron Magazine featured one of thier bikes in the center spread.

patsue

a real friend would have furnished you a bike like this to ride to Sturgis.
nice pics  the sporty looked good loaded for the trip.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top