Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2005 7:47:15 PM EDT
Did my first ride along tonight on second shift.  Rode in probably the worst part of town.

The first few calls were drunken people refusing to leave different places- nothing big there.  From then things got pretty slow and really most of the night we just rode around in circles, patroling the same area.  The COPS film crew is here right now and i was out of the car on some calls that probably won't ever make it on to TV.

I'm still digesting this whole experience.  I was very impressed with how cool and collected the officers were- they are obviously a very close-knit group of guys.  I'm gonna ride again soon- hopefully we will be able to get into some stuff next time.  

I was amazed at the number of people who would yell at the cruiser as we were driving by- and not necessarily nice things  the officer didn't really seem to pay any attention to it- i suppose it's just par for the course in the projects?  anyway- i'm sure my thoughts will be more coherent after i sleep on this.

i was very impressed overall with the department and how the officers conducted themselves.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I was very impressed with how cool and collected the officers were- they are obviously a very close-knit group of guys.  

I was amazed at the number of people who would yell at the cruiser as we were driving by- and not necessarily nice things  

You tend to build some really close/solid relationships with those you work with.  I have noticed that I can "warm up" to a Cop, even if I've only known him/her a short time much quicker than other people.  Same for when I served in the Army, I guess it's the "in common" thing that facilitates the "quicker" development of friendships.

When the dirt bags yell at us, we stop, get out of the car, and ask them "how can I help you ?"  Of course they always smart off w/some BS but we counter with something like "Oh, I heard you yell and thought you needed some type of Police service, are you sure I can't help you"?  Then we just hang around for a few minutes and go out of our way to strike up a conversation with those who didn't run off when we stopped.  Seems the more we try to talk to the ones left behind the more pissed they get, eventually walking off mumblings various racial slurs etc.

The point we try to make is this... Unless you want us to stop and hang around "bothering" you, keep your sewer hole shut !!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

When the dirt bags yell at us, we stop, get out of the car, and ask them "how can I help you ?"  Of course they always smart off w/some BS but we counter with something like "Oh, I heard you yell and thought you needed some type of Police service, are you sure I can't help you"?  Then we just hang around for a few minutes and go out of our way to strike up a conversation with those who didn't run off when we stopped.  Seems the more we try to talk to the ones left behind the more pissed they get, eventually walking off mumblings various racial slurs etc.

The point we try to make is this... Unless you want us to stop and hang around "bothering" you, keep your sewer hole shut !!

Hey! I've been taught to do that too!
Pulled some good arrests out of it as well, especially warrant related.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey! I've been taught to do that too!
Pulled some good arrests out of it as well, especially warrant related.

I do the same..

"Did I hear someone yelling for help?"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top