Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 2:32:33 PM EDT
I wrote to the general here asking what help Rhode Island was providing to the areas affected by Hurricane Katrina and what avenues my family and I could volunteer.  I asked them to be more proactive in trying to send help and order.  I got the response from the General:

"Thank you for your offer, but we are coordinating with the National Guard
Bureau and wait for their guidance.  We have notified them of what we can
provide.  Care must be given NOT to arrive with out any coordination and
overwhelm the fragile system that is currently in place. In situations such
as this it is imperative not to be proactive and cause more problems than
solutions.

JLE"
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#1]
So you're upset because the RI-NG won't send in people without the local command requesting for them?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I wrote to the general here asking what help Rhode Island was providing to the areas affected by Hurricane Katrina and what avenues I and my family could volunteer.  I asked them to be more proactive in trying to send help.  I got the response from the General:

solutions.

JLE"

I guess not even the National Guard wants to help the Katrina victims.

All is lost.

Sounds like they don't want to fuck up the works.

How did you read "not even the National Guard wants to help the Katrina victims" out of that???
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like the right answer to me. NG guards units in the region effected have been working since before the Hurricane....
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I wrote to the general here asking what help Rhode Island was providing to the areas affected by Hurricane Katrina and what avenues my family and I could volunteer.  I asked them to be more proactive in trying to send help and order.  I got the response from the General:

solutions.

JLE"

I guess not even the National Guard wants to help the Katrina victims.

His response sounds reasonable to me. Uncoordinated 'freelancing,' even by a NG unit, will only add to the chaos and confusion...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont understand why the States affected by Katrina wouldnt want help.

Rhode Island has a large C-130 base.  We could of been there 8 hours go with tons of food,  water and shelters.

Im not blaming the RI-NG.  I am blaming whoever is in control of the situation in the areas affected -or - the NG beaureu for not giving us guidance.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#7]
There's hercs everywhere.  Nashville, Little Rock, and hundreds others.  RI isn't the closest, and there's only so many planes that they need there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Rhode Island has a large C-130 base.  We could of been there 8 hours go with tons of food,  water and shelters.

Im not blaming the RI-NG.  I am blaming whoever is in control of the situation in the areas affected -or - the NG beaureu for not giving us guidance.  

Any military unit has it's own logistics tail. Add that to the supplies you have to bring in to help the dislocated citizens and as they said, you have a very fragile situation.

Here's something else to think about. There aren't too many airfields up and operating right now. Even when they open they will be operating at reduced capacity. If that capacity has already been met, there is nothing more you can do.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:03:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok ill concede that there are logistics involved.

But I just thought there was alot of places they could airdrop things in to help,  and then even fly to an airport far away that is calm.  Rinse and repeat.  

Besides I have a hard time beleiving they dont need more organized "boots on the ground" to bring about area protection in the hundreds and thousands of square miles affected to curb looting and help in rescue efforts.

Which is why I cant justify the bureaucacy involved.  These are people who are supposed to train and be ready for mobilization in countries that dont even have infrastructure to support them.  We have the infrastructure already,  we shouldnt have problems moving assets around.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
If you haven't noticed, we are engaged in two countries with ongoing conflicts. We're already stretched.

Also remember the infrastructure in the damaged are just isn't there. For every soldier you move in that means more water, more MREs, more fuel, more medical supplies, more toiletries. The military is designed to support troops, not support troops and refugees.

Air dropping supplies is a bad idea and has been chronicled on this site in two seperate threads.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:10:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had a chance to work with a Rhode Island Air National Guard combat communications squadron and hell, I really can't blame LA for not asking, all they wanted to do was sit in air conditioning and watch movies instead of train and work.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Overwhelm the fragile systems alread in place?

He must be talking about the gang truce that is in effect until they finish of the NOPD.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Look I can load up an Ar15 with Ammo, A few weeks of food,  and water for a week in under a 40 pound backpack.

Airdrop me in to secure an area.

Then airdrop me some supplies.

THen I will distribute and setup  those supplies to people who need it.

This is what should be happening all over New Orleans and the affected areas.  Not to mention helicopters setting up water depots with NG soldiers.

Im sure it took them 4 days to even think of this though,  it wont be anohter 3 days until they start doing it.  There is no excuse for not having law and order.  There should be enough law abiding citizens to bring order themselves.  

Which is why action needs to be taken,  people shot,  and order restored.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:20:41 PM EDT
[#14]
You do realize FEMA was prestaging supplies prior to the hurricane? I remember reading on this board there are something like 100 distribution points in NOLA itself.

I'd also like to know what you're going to do with the criminals once they've been arrested? Throw them in the already flooded jail? Divert troops needed to distribute supplies just to guard them? Or are you going to execute American citizens that surrender?

Let me put it bluntly. You could do no better. In fact, based on your posts you're not qualified to criticize. So how about doing something productive like making a donation to the Red Cross, so those people who lost everything might have something.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#15]
At least if I was in charge I would of had enough personnel into the area immediatly after the hurricane to bring law and order,  even if it meant shooting people.

Nevermind how I would of setup water depots and told people to evacuate or be arrested.

And when I arrested people I would pile them into a abandoned apartment building and place guards inside and outside.  A makeshift prison.

Which says more for what the NG and the police have done so far.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:30:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Your real name isn't Snake Pliskin is it?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:31:18 PM EDT
[#17]
The US military has a highly developed system in place to source, deploy, sustain, and redeploy its forces.  The system is complicated, but functions very well.  No other country in the world has anywhere near the capability and experience at this.  If you start going outside the system to move forces it will upset the tens of thousands of moving parts it takes to pull all of this off.

I realize that some guy watching TV in Rhode Island probably has a better idea of how to handle the situation then the FEMA director or the JTF commander on the ground, but ...

Ahh screw it.  Every armchair on this board is 100 times more qualified than the flag and general officers running the JTF that is working in New Orleans and far beyond the ability of the FEMA folks who do nothing but disasters for a living to prioritize the tens of thousands of requirements.  Go get a job with FEMA so you can unfuck everything.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You do realize FEMA was prestaging supplies prior to the hurricane? I remember reading on this board there are something like 100 distribution points in NOLA itself.

I'd also like to know what you're going to do with the criminals once they've been arrested? Throw them in the already flooded jail? (hmmmmm, ponders that thought)Divert troops needed to distribute supplies just to guard them? Or are you going to execute American citizens that surrender?

Let me put it bluntly. You could do no better. In fact, based on your posts you're not qualified to criticize. So how about doing something productive like making a donation to the Red Cross, so those people who lost everything might have something.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#19]
School started yet?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Our boys are on the way ...
www.turnto10.com/news/4924793/detail.html
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#22]
You sure you didn't mean to pick YoYo as a screen name?

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Look I can load up an Ar15 with Ammo, A few weeks of food,  and water for a week in under a 40 pound backpack.

Yeah I want to see how you're going to have food and water for a week with an under 40 lbs back Pack.

Minimal water requirements (just sitting on you A$$) would be 7 gallons (roughly 49lbs right there).

Damn not even a crumb of food and you're already over your weight specs...

Now just pick up your bag of potato chips and go back to your game of Rainbow Six and leave the military efforts to those who are (and have served) serving and know WTF they are doing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#25]
The RI NG have already been sent (about 3 weeks ago). ETA-RAF beat me to it.

His response was telling YOU not to go down there unannounced and unguided.

Too much untrained (although well intentioned) help can fuck up things even more.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Airsoft ain't going to help much...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
At least if I was in charge I would of had enough personnel into the area immediatly after the hurricane to bring law and order,  even if it meant shooting people.

Nevermind how I would of setup water depots and told people to evacuate or be arrested.

And when I arrested people I would pile them into a abandoned apartment building and place guards inside and outside.  A makeshift prison.

wow
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:08:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Another arm chair warrior..

Lemme guess...

Bush's fault?

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

ITS HKS/RITS!!!!!!!
ALERT!!!

ETA: Damnit all aimless, you beat me to it.
Shall we re-open his old bearpit thread for him?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#30]
What do they have, like a platoon?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
You sure you didn't mean to pick YoYo as a screen name?

www.web-mkt.com/Samples/ANIMATED%20GIFS/yoyo.gif

Yayo is another term for cocaine, not much different.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top