Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/24/2011 10:51:58 AM EDT
Investigators say Kenneth Payne, 73, was at Toppers Gun Range east of Wagoner when someone shot him several times and then stole whatever weapons he had. No other items were taken, including his wallet.

Have to be aware at all times.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#1]
And yet some people wonder why I CCW at the gun club, and why my club changed its rules a few years ago specifically to allow it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow!
Public or private range?
Hope the old guy makes a full recovery and they catch the dirtbag that did it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Never shoot alone if you can help it. Trust your gut instincts about suspicious people. CCW while on the range.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn that is just crazy. But I can see it happening. That is why I stop going to the range down my way. Surrounded by trees and at least 4 to 6 feet down in the ground. I am glad that he is expected to survive his injuries.

Hope that they catch that SOB.

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Never shoot alone if you can help it. Trust your gut instincts about suspicious people. CCW while on the range.

All of that....
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Wow!

Public or private range?

It is a public range.  I've been there once and it is a fairly busy place.

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow. I'm glad the guy survived. People suck.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Never go shooting alone. Your focus is on the targets instead of you surroundings.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 11:46:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Investigators say Kenneth Payne, 73, was at Toppers Gun Range east of Wagoner when someone shot him several times and then stole whatever weapons he had. No other items were taken, including his wallet.

My range is on John Zink ranch.  Gated access, always people around.  Well worth the yearly.

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

My range is on John Zink ranch.  Gated access, always people around.  Well worth the yearly.

I miss red castle.....
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow!

Public or private range?

It is a public range.  I've been there once and it is a fairly busy place.  

Probably the only reason he will survive.  Someone drove up to target shoot.

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
People suck.

this
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I miss red castle.....

No more Red Castle ??
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I miss red castle.....

No more Red Castle ??
It looks like he lives in PA now.

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#15]
yet another reason i don't like unstaffed public ranges.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

USSA here.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Some people are just scum.  Glad to read he survived.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a piece of land out in the middle of a bunch of cotton fields that I use for a range there is no reason for anybody to turn off the highway onto this property unless they're with me but several times I've gone shooting and people drive through like they're lost.  It always makes me nervous.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I always CCW when I shoot alone ....

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
F*cking scum... shooting an old man and taking his guns?

Execute them.

Then revive him. And execute him again.

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#22]
It happened around 7:30 Thursday morning.

That dude was out bright and early on Thanksgiving day. So was the bad guy apparently. Any chance it was someone who lives nearby that was pissed they got woken up by some clown shooting at 0730?
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

That dude was out bright and early on Thanksgiving day. So was the bad guy apparently. Any chance it was someone who lives nearby that was pissed they got woken up by some clown shooting at 0730?

At a range?

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Live next to a range, you need to accept it's YOUR stupidity interrupting your sleep.

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Yeah...No.  That wasn't it.  And the fact that you thought of it, may well indicate sociopathic tendencies

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And what if they were?  Shoot said "clown?"  Steal all of his stuff?

I wasn't excusing the bad guy just wondering aloud what the chances are of a bad guy staking out a range at 7:30 AM on Thanksgiving hoping to steal someone's guns. I figure it's just as likely that some dude woke up to gunfire and said "That's it. I'm killing that bastard."
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#30]
That's why I always CCW at any range I'm at.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
yet another reason i don't like unstaffed public ranges.

I shoot at a club range that used to be unstaffed, but is now staffed. When it was unstaffed , if I was the only one there i would always carry when walking down range to change out targets. It was a similar wooded area as in the story.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Don't go alone.  Be vigilant.  This sucks.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm downright paranoid about this happening at the public range I go to. I frequently go solo and I'm usually there until dark.

A couple years ago there was a guy who was murdered at a public range near Harrisburg, PA. The murderer had stolen rifles from a couple others prior to that. In this case he shot the guy while was downrange and stole his AR and suppressor. The murderer/thief was a local prison guard.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I always CCW when I shoot alone ....
Quoted:

I always CCW, and If I am shooting alone, will sling my rifle while changing targets.  

I have always done so.  This evil behavior is NOT new.  

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Live next to a range, you need to accept it's YOUR stupidity interrupting your sleep.

Not at 7:30AM.  County should have a Peace Ordinance that enforces quiet at least from midnight to eight AM at a minimum.  Course at 7:30, he could have been setting-up.
I guess city-folk shouldn't live in the country.  I hate to think what they might do when an unmufflered tractor comes by at 5 am.

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Didn't read the story did you?

He was leaving the range when he was shot, so he started earlier.  Like he did EVERY DAY.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I'm downright paranoid about this happening at the public range I go to. I frequently go solo and I'm usually there until dark.

A couple years ago there was a guy who was murdered at a public range near Harrisburg, PA. The murderer had stolen rifles from a couple others prior to that. In this case he shot the guy while was downrange and stole his AR and suppressor. The murderer/thief was a local prison guard.

I recall that case, but I'd never heard they caught the bastard.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#38]
An armed society, is not a polite society.

That fucken sucks. Poor guy RIP.

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, they did.

IIRC, he had a friend who knew about it also. I don't think he was there, but he knew he was stealing guns from the range. It might have even been his storage locker they were putting them in, I don't remember.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, they did.

IIRC, he had a friend who knew about it also. I don't think he was there, but he knew he was stealing guns from the range. It might have even been his storage locker they were putting them in, I don't remember.

That was this incident?   http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2010/07/investigators_making_progress.html

I didn't find anything about it being solved. Link?

Edit:  I found it!  http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/showthread.php?4911-Prosecutors-May-Pursue-Death-Penalty-Against-Raymond-Peake-In-2010-PA-Slaying-of-Todd-Getgen
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Public range on public hunting land about a mile out of town.
Range tables are about 75-100yds down a trail.
USUALLY very overgrown up to the range area and not able to see the parking area.
I've been to this range many times.
The last 5 or so times I went I was stalked twice and swept with loaded guns 3 times.
Always CCW there and always carried a loaded semi- auto rifle down range with me.
Joined a private range a year ago and haven't been back.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, they did.

That was this incident?   http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2010/07/investigators_making_progress.html

I didn't find anything about it being solved. Link?

I'll look for it. I remember too many specifics to have imagined that they caught the guy.

ETA: Never mind, I see you got it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#45]
wtf where was the RO?
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
wtf where was the RO?

I didn't read the whole article in the OP, but there are lots of public ranges that are unsupervised. The one in PA that I mentioned above is an example of such a range.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Public hunting land with 2 steel tables set up and a big berm at 100yds.
No range officer. Public range but since it is on public hunting land you are supposed to have a hunting license.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Sometimes bad things happen no matter how many precautions you think you are taking. We are all at risk.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Tulsa Red Castle Gun Club

but, I have also shot at Toppers once or twice over the years. Prayers for the fallen.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top