Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2015 3:44:04 PM EDT
How long does a restraining order last?

My gf filed on a guy 4 years ago and the guy just showed up unexpectedly where she works and asked the owner to be able to talk to her.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Almost universally < 4 years
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Varies from state-to-state and can vary depending on the order.  Go get a copy of the order from the court.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Restraining order or Full order of protection.  Ours last a year unless otherwise specified check state law and the order that was granted.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Guess it depends, but I have read they can be issued for up to 5-years.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#5]
What does her totally useless paperwork say?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Three years for a temporary one in CA. Beyond that you have to renew them. I'll go with avoid talking to him. That guy is a retard for wanting to talk to her so don't join his idiocy and talk to him.

ETA: As posted above, what does her copy of the order say? Has she contacted him? RO work both ways neither party is allowed to contact each other.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

No idea, he raped her about 4 years ago, she didn't press charges because she didn't want to go through the court system.
Sucks. He should be in prison.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Almost universally < 4 years
View Quote

Lol, creeping is a science, and creepers have that shit down
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No idea, he raped her about 4 years ago, she didn't press charges because she didn't want to go through the court system.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a renewal is in order. Should be easy considering he showed up right after the thing expired.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like 2-4 years depending on the type of injunction

Page 18
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sounds like a renewal is in order. Should be easy considering he showed up right after the thing expired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be honest, there's no way he would have known she works there. But if he shows up again, this will not be acceptable.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#12]
The one I got against my ex-wife is good for a year, not that she has in any way respected it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Looks like 2-4 years depending on the type of injunction

Page 18
View Quote

Thanks, That helps.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't want to go to court to put the guy away? But instead are relying on a blue colored carbon copy piece of paper
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Don't want to go to court to put the guy away? But instead are relying on a blue colored carbon copy piece of paper
View Quote

She is a foreign student from Asia and didn't want to deal with the drama of the situation.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

To be honest, there's no way he would have known she works there. But if he shows up again, this will not be acceptable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like 10,000,000 million alarm bells are sounding right now.  A call to the local police non-emergency line is in order, right now.  If true, he has been stalking her for 4 years.

Um, it was most definitely not acceptable this time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#17]
He was on probation at the time, apparently he did something else. I just checked him on CCAP and his probation was revoked in 2012. he must have gotten out in the last year.
Is there a limitation on when she can reopen the case? I believe she reported the incident when it happened but didn't press charges.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the fuck, dude.

ETA: Next time, next time, next time, next time....
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What the fuck, dude.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the fuck, dude.

Believe me, I'm on it big time right now.
When she told me about it after we met, she wouldn't give me his name because she didn't want me to do anything, but she gave me his info now, so I can certainly get working on this.
The restraining order doesn't show on CCAP, is this normal?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Here is what I got from a google search on the statute of limitations in Wisconsin looks like about 6 years.

Felonies, with a few exceptions: within six years

Misdemeanors, with a few exceptions: within three years

Adultery, with a few exceptions: within three years

First-degree intentional homicide, first-degree reckless homicide, felony murder, second-degree intentional homicide, first degree sexual assault of a child, certain felony violations of engaging in repeated acts of sexual assault of the same child: no limit

Second-degree reckless homicide: within 15 years

Theft, having obtained possession of the property lawfully and subsequently misappropriating it: within one year after discovery of the loss, but time limitation can be extended only up to five years

Second degree sexual assault of a child, certain felony violations of engaging in repeated acts of sexual assault of the same child, intentionally causing great bodily harm to a child, sexual exploitation of a child, incest with a child, certain child enticement, use of a computer to facilitate a child sex crime, soliciting a child for prostitution, sexual assault of a child placed in substitute care, or sexual assault of a child by a school staff person or a person who works or volunteers with children: before the victim reaches the age of 45 years, with exceptions relating to the use of DNA evidence

Certain causation of bodily harm to a child or failing to act to prevent bodily harm to a child, causing mental harm to a child, and certain child enticement: before the victim reaches the age of 26 years, with exceptions relating to the use of DNA evidence

Trafficking of a child: before the victim reaches the age of 24, with exceptions relating to the use of DNA evidence

DNA evidence

For certain offenses, use of DNA evidence to identify the offender can extend the periods of limitation for prosecution (see Wis. Stat. § 939.74 for more details)

Tolling provisions

Time periods during which the offender was not publicly a resident of Wisconsin or during which a prosecution against the offender for the same act was pending are not included in the periods of limitation

Time periods during which an alleged victim of sexual exploitation by a therapist under is unable to seek the issuance of a complaint due to the effects of the sexual contact or due to any threats, instructions or statements from the therapist are not included in the periods of limitation
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I've seen lifetime restraining orders.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've seen lifetime restraining orders.
View Quote

lead lined by chance?

Not that I would ever suggest such a thing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The one I got against my ex-wife is good for a year, not that she has in any way respected it.
View Quote

Girl I know had one against an ex. He kept harassing her and ended up in jail for a while for contempt. Call the magistrate and let him know. She'll either stop or a judge will make her stop.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Call the police and request a report. Make sure the owner is listed as a witness. Advise property owner of the order and the situation. He should be willing to give

the offender a Trespassing warning when he shows back up.

Contact the lawyer that petitioned for the order originally.

Have GF change routes to and from work, and circle the block before she gets home to scrub a tail. Raise alert level at her home and yours(he may be aware of

you) .Let the neighbors know and BOLO

Call the local precinct and request extra patrol( the precinct where she lives, the work address, and where you live), explaining the situation. Name the offender.

All ASAP.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:51:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Hmmm...

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#26]

I concur
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How long does a restraining order last?

My gf filed on a guy 4 years ago and the guy just showed up unexpectedly where she works and asked the owner to be able to talk to her.
View Quote

varies from state to state. In michigan that are typically 1 year and you have to have them extended, for reason by a judge, each year after that.

J-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top