Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/24/2020 1:51:56 PM EDT
What's the recommendation to have in storage for shtf?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#2]
For inhalation, the generic 3m respirator would probably work.  I'll have to read up though, I got it for working around pesticides.  Figure if it works on those, it would work on viruses?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#3]
3M N95 rated respirators plus full seal eye protection.
Military NBC masks with fresh filters should work.
You won’t catch me loading bodies with anything less than MOPP 4.

Even though social media is claiming they don’t work, the 3M bulk packs are sold out at my local HD.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Viruses are Way smaller than the holes in filters.  But they may stop you from inhaling the vapors that carry the viruses.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
3M N95 rated respirators plus full seal eye protection.
Military NBC masks with fresh filters should work.
You won’t catch me loading bodies with anything less than MOPP 4.

Even though social media is claiming they don’t work, the 3M bulk packs are sold out at my local HD.
View Quote
We have to get fitted for n95 every year at work. Just be aware that there are different sizes of n95 and even if you think they feel right, they might still leak. I was surprised when I first tested and n95 leaked on me and i needed a different type of mask.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#8]

+

+

Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#9]
How about just stay home?

If it gets so bad that I need PPE in public, I'm holing up and locking the gate.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Viruses are Way smaller than the holes in filters.  But they may stop you from inhaling the vapors that carry the viruses.
View Quote
Standard paint type respirators won't work against vapors, but will filter out particles.  Pretty sure it's the liquid that the viruses are suspended in that they filter out.

If you are truly paranoid, go get fitted for a gas mask.  Other than that, my semi-rural backside will just avoid proximity, and utilize copious hand washing.

Even the respirator I have (no eye protection) gets too annoying to use a lot of the time I'm spraying pesticides.  I just try to spray from upwind, and wash up before touching my face.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Just wear an N95 and standard eye pro for day to day activities, keep arms distance away from everyone.
Wash hands frequently.

If you are going to be touching bodies etc.  Full Mopp etc.  When we did medical examinations, we wore MOPP type gear on bodies we were suspicious of what killed them.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Level A....it's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:33:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How about just stay home?

If it gets so bad that I need PPE in public, I'm holing up and locking the gate.
View Quote
You can't catch a virus you aren't exposed to.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I have boxes of S,M,L hospital versions of this for SHTF:    
Amazon Product
  • NIOSH APPROVED: For at least 95% filtration efficiency against certain non-oil based particles like dust.
  • CUSTOM FIT: Adjustable nose clip helps provide a secure seal. Cushioning foam for added comfort on the nose.
  • EASY BREATHING: Incorporates proprietary technology with advanced electrostatically charged microfiber filter media, designed for easy breathing.

and a box of these with it:  
Amazon Product
  • ANSI Z87+ Certified
  • UV (UVA and UVB radiation) protection
  • High transparency polycarbonate high impact lenses with scratch-resistant coating and hi-flex frame for reduced used fatigue and improved hold.

And like I said:  
Keep an arms length away from everyone.  
Wash your hands frequently.

ETA:  Wow the amazon button really messed with my configuation of text.  Cool, I will never use that again.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Adult and child versions available.

On a side note, 3m dust masks will not save you from a virus.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I recommend every 5 minutes you disinfect your eyes by spritzing them with bleach. Lemon scent is OK. Then gargle with some and take a deep breath to sanitize your air passages. I guarantee you won't catch nCoV 2019.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#19]
the corona virus is smaller than the pores of a n95 mask

the mask offers droplet protection, against the drops of junk floating in the air if someone coughs or breaths it out.

you have to go full on ebola papr respirator for actual protection
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

the mask offers droplet protection, against the drops of junk floating in the air if someone coughs or breaths it out.

View Quote
Droplet protection would be a big part of it imo.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Adult and child versions available.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/464920/1-1247417.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/464920/800wm-1247418.jpg

On a side note, 3m dust masks will not save you from a virus.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
OMG, telling the people in SHTF they need a hospital regulated negative pressure room that JCAHO comes and signs off on every six months ain't going to help them.    I am answering the OP's SHTF question with a real world answer.  
Droplet and eye protection and smart contact precautions with hand washing are going to get people through this.  Not unrealistic gear that only a small percentage of the population will receive / afford.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

OMG, telling the people in SHTF they need a hospital regulated negative pressure room that JCAHO comes and signs off on every six months ain't going to help them.    I am answering the OP's SHTF question with a real world answer.  
Droplet and eye protection and smart contact precautions with hand washing are going to get people through this.  Not unrealistic gear that only a small percentage of the population will receive / afford.
View Quote
But how else are they going to flex all their knowledge?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
your better off investing the chlorox wipes and purell
View Quote
So sir are you saying CHLOROX IS THE ONLY SAFE THING THAT KILLS VIRUS in a timely manner.
I think what you are saying is:

CHLOROX IS THE ONLY SAFE THING THAT KILLS VIRUS IN A TIMELY MANNER.

Good point.  Something that beers repeating.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Full NBC suit . Skin will absorb alot and don't pee....little critters will crawl on up
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Unless you have an SCBA, you are wasting time and money
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

mopp for bio.... snort
View Quote
Hahaha, the last time I wore a MOPP suite I was in your lovely state.  

So yeah, I was just trying to speak language the commoners speak.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Unless you have an SCBA, you are wasting time and money
View Quote
NO you are not.  This is false.  
We are not HELPLESS VICTIMS.

1.  Keep your distance.
2.  Wash your hands.
3.  There is gear available near you that will provide you with very good protection for very low cost.  https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/factsheets/respsars.html

And that Ebola link..... Ebola isn't even the same class of Virus.... its not even a Carona virus.... sooooooo

I gotta bail from this thread, it is hurting my head.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#34]
My CPAP has a filter so I'm going to run it on portable power and carry it in my rucksack.  Can't use the humidifier part though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

NO you are not.  This is false.  
We are not HELPLESS VICTIMS.

1.  Keep your distance.
2.  Wash your hands.
3.  There is gear available near you that will provide you with very good protection for very low cost.  https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/factsheets/respsars.html

And that Ebola link..... Ebola isn't even the same class of Virus.... its not even a Carona virus.... sooooooo

I gotta bail from this thread, it is hurting my head.
View Quote
Denial. It’s a hell of a thing.

Washing hands and not being touchy touchy should be common practice.

This is a weaponized virus. It’s not SARS.

It’s small and really anything you buy won’t help.
You need a respirator.  It wouldn’t have spread so fast otherwise.

Wash hands, don’t be Mr. Touch and know Jesus.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

just one of the better things available at walmart. most of the stuff we used isn't off the shelf and might be worse for you than the bug lol.

as with all of this stuff hygiene in general beats PPE for the avg person. NO ONE is going to be able to maintain a seal or wear eyepro, mask full time in day to day activities. most won't properly decon them frequently enough to be useful and for just plain connivence will stop wearing it in short order. PPE really isn't going to do that much for the avg joe going about his daily routine. if your dealing with folks sure.

we forgot to add gloves to that list and changing them out each and every time you potentially contaminate them (like opening public doors). dirty hands, scratch nose, wipe brow, take off mask or eye pro... potential infection. most people want to buy the gear, 99% don't understand why or how.
View Quote
You are most correct sir. If we actually had a "breakout" no way would I go into public without my Nitrile gloves donned.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Soooo a P100 mask at a minimum then?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Just make sure it's not from China
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 4:02:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm not sure what ya'll are worried about.  Ebola already killed us years ago, back when that outbreak happened a few years ago.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

just for shits and giggles, what is a "weaponized virus" and what are they designed to do vs a regular virus?
View Quote
Ask these people

I didn’t coin the term. I didn’t ask for people to mess with diseases. And whatever these people know; I figure the Red Chinese know too.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
For inhalation, the generic 3m respirator would probably work.  I'll have to read up though, I got it for working around pesticides.  Figure if it works on those, it would work on viruses?
View Quote
Respirator is worthless if you have facial hair so start with a razor.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
your better off investing the chlorox wipes and purell
View Quote
And start popping immune boosting vitamins
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 4:08:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Level A with flash protection/SCBA master race checking in.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#46]
it's happening.

I knew this day would come.

breaking out my nbc gear and bullet proof tailgate.

go time.

going radio silent.  good luck all.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would go with a P100 if you could find them.   However any respirator is only good if it fits well.  They fit test people that have to use them for a reason.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I would go with a P100 if you could find them.   However any respirator is only good if it fits well.  They fit test people that have to use them for a reason.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
n95 mask with a bandana or something over would be adequate.  Certainly not ideal but it will do the job and especially if wet
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 4:17:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Live in BFE?  Wait to go treasure collecting.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Out your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top