Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/25/2008 2:06:07 AM EDT
Motherfuckers.......

Compromise could cut WWII Filipino vets’ pension

By Rick Maze - [email protected]
Posted : March 31, 2008

The top Republican on the Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee proposes jump-starting a stalled veterans benefits bill by reducing a promised pension for World War II Filipino veterans and using the money to improve benefits for combat veterans who served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The proposal from Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., has been endorsed by the Wounded Warrior Project, which represents new combat veterans, but is opposed by Sen. Daniel Akaka, D-Hawaii, the Veterans’ Affairs Committee chairman, who has been pushing for the improved pensions.

Akaka’s bill, S 1315, which passed the committee last year, would provide pensions to Filipino veterans who served alongside U.S. troops in World War II. Those living outside the U.S. would receive up to $4,500 a year if married and $3,600 if single under the pension proposal. Pensions were to begin May 1 under the plan, which was delayed once it passed the Veterans’ Affairs Committee because of opposition to the Filipino benefits.

Burr said his bill is a fair compromise. Akaka said Burr’s proposal “is not acceptable to me” but added that he may be willing to allow a vote if other senators agree.

Jeremy Chwat, executive vice president of the Wounded Warrior Project, said his group supports Burr’s compromise as a “balanced approach to funding programs and providing assistance to our nation’s wounded warriors.”

Burr’s alternative, S 2640, would provide full pensions to Filipino veterans of World War II legally living in the U.S. and would provide full disability pay to any of those veterans with service-connected disabilities resulting from their support of U.S. operations.

The money saved on pensions to Filipino veterans overseas would be used to increase other benefits, such as burial benefits that keep pace with inflation, better adaptive housing and auto grants for disabled veterans, and improved education benefits for National Guard and reserve members mobilized for two or more years.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 2:17:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 2:30:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Why the hell don't they take a little money away from the fucking couch welfare queens instead.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 2:34:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Why the hell don't they take a little money away from the fucking couch welfare queens instead.

My sentiments exactly.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 2:48:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys for recognizing what my grandparent's generation did for ALL OF US during those dark times. Though our government also has pension plans for our vets, every single cent helps...

The LAST thing I want to see,thank God I havent experienced it yet and dont want to, is a person who fought a tynranical force because it was the right thing to do... selling fishballs at the corner to support his family.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 3:02:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Another way for .gov to fuck over those that have risked all for their faithful service to us and their own nation...

No wonder the world has no trust in us anymore.

Vets that are living here legally are okay...

Just those elsewhere are screwed...

Great.

All because somehow current veterans are more deserving...

Soon, a US born combat veterans pension will be reduced because his war is history, and the "current" veterans are more deserving...

Well, divide and conquer...it works every time.

WTF.

CPO SWCC US Navy (Retired)

Link Posted: 3/25/2008 3:13:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Well said Chief.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 5:01:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Eroding more benefits by those who never served, whose priveleged parents never served, and whose priveleged children will never serve.  Short memories and more broken promises.  Makes me sick.  The VA's around here have been giving vets one year clean bill of healths for a few months now - "your good to go until next year".  
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 5:11:52 AM EDT
[#8]
You aren't allowed to criticize republicans on this site you communist-fascist-isolationist-nazist-libtard-moonbat-poopyface-butthole-mean to your mother-traitor.

Don't you realize REPUBLICANS IS TEH GUUUUUUUUD PARTIE! All the party die-hard on here will tell you that. How do they know? They asked the party.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:14:49 AM EDT
[#9]
We need to honor our commitments to ALL those who served beside us and fought with us.

Phillipino troops had it rough.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:37:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
We need to honor our commitments to ALL those who served beside us and fought with us.

Phillipino troops had it rough.

But then you can't steal what they were promised to buy votes.

Link Posted: 3/25/2008 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Bump. I'm really waiting for Republican Party defense corps to explain this one to me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Bump. I'm really waiting for Republican Party defense corps to explain this one to me.

All they'll say is "well, at least the Republicans aren't Democrats" and that excuses any behavior.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Damn nothing is sacred.

Max
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey, gotta pay for Bush's $15B AIDS package to Africa somehow.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Guess you didn't bother to read the article then.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Shameful.

With all of the money that is wasted by our government each year, I find it impossible to believe that there is not enough to help one group of veterans without fucking over another group of veterans.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guess you didn't bother to read the article then.

I read it, the direct benefit may be current vets, but the root issue comes back to the fact it all comes from the same bucket o gold so any money the gov spends impacts our programs, hence the welfare comments above also.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Because couch queens have a big enough voting block that they get taken care of by those in power.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Why these politicians choose to ignore this is beyond me. I guess sacrificing WWII vets' pensions instead would hurt their political careers less. Nonetheless, this bill is nothing short of betraying our allies after the sacrifices they've made. The politicians should've taken money from a useless agency instead but I guess not...
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#21]
If it weren't for all the guys in WW2, this country would be speaking german.

Here's a couple thoughts--

How about those assholes cut their own salaries and congressional pensions?
How about cutting off welfare to those who have made it a lifestyle?
How about they quit sending money to every third world shithole on the planet?
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why these politicians choose to ignore this is beyond me. I guess sacrificing WWII vets' pensions instead would hurt their political careers less. Nonetheless, this bill is nothing short of betraying our allies after the sacrifices they've made. The politicians should've taken money from a useless agency instead but I guess not...
You can buy votes from welfare queens. Keep the checks coming and they'll vote for you every time.

Generally speaking, the same cannot be said for veterans. We vote for whoever we think is best for the job and, quite often, it isn't Daddy Warbucks(D).
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can buy votes from welfare queens. Keep the checks coming and they'll vote for you every time.

Generally speaking, the same cannot be said for veterans. We vote for whoever we think is best for the job and, quite often, it isn't Daddy Warbucks(D).

One of the worst things about welfare is that the .gov rewards the welfare queens with more money for every child they have, perpetuating this horrible cycle that will drain more money out of our coffers. They should not be giving any financial incentives for having more children, but rather having less or none. But obviously this is too logical for any politician looking for a way to get more votes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

A big fuckin' +1
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Filipinos who enlisted in OUR services rather than their own deserve every single benefit as any American, in my opinion. They faced the same risks, and did the same jobs.

Don't worry about it.

In 20 years, they'll reduce the pensions of Gulf War veterans to fund the pensions of the veterans of the Massachusets Massacre.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Why don't we completly kill all welfare to anyone caught abusing the system, then we can double all pensions for vets.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My sentiments exactly.

great idea!
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm a member of the VFW also, and that's bullshit !

And by the way VFW means

Veterans Fucked by Washington
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I am curious, do american's who served in WWII get the same benefit?

No. But, IIRC, the pension was part of the recruiting platform and then was considered an obligation to a people that suffered tremendously.

Of course, the GOP doesn't give a rats ass about honoring obligations because those obligations don't get them votes.

Link Posted: 3/25/2008 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't understand this. Are these vets that were enlisted in the U.S. Military ?

Did they serve until eligible for retirement ?
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My sentiments exactly.

great idea!

Sounds good.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#33]
What's ironic is that some of the 20,000 soldiers the U.S. killed in the Philippine-American War may have been relatives of these men.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#34]
If you research what the Filipinos suffered through in WWII and especially how they supported Americans throughout the war (including those Americans in POW camps) and the resistance too. The Japanese raped and destroyed so much of the Philipines and the US did so little to rebuild (compared to spending in Europe)

There should be some program in the budget that we spend tax dollars on involving the Japanese (who are now doing so very well (thanks to us) that we can "shift the allocation" (or perhaps a import fee? ) to reward those who stood true and loyal by our fighting men.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I don't understand this. Are these vets that were enlisted in the U.S. Military ?

Did they serve until eligible for retirement ?

Filipino Veterans
World War II era Filipino veterans are eligible for certain VA benefits. Generally, Old Philippine Scouts are eligible for VA benefits in the same manner as U.S. veterans. Commonwealth Army veterans, including certain organized Filipino guerrilla forces and New Philippine Scouts residing in the United States who are citizens or lawfully admitted for permanent residence, are also eligible for VA health care in the United States on the same basis as U.S. veterans.

Certain Commonwealth Army veterans and new Philippine Scouts may be eligible for disability compensation and burial benefits. Other veterans of recognized guerrilla groups also may be eligible for certain VA benefits. Survivors of World War II era Filipino veterans may be eligible for dependency and indemnity compensation. Eligibility and the rates of benefits vary based on the recipient’s citizenship and place of residence. Call 1-800-827-1000 for additional information.

www1.va.gov/opa/IS1/9.asp

Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#36]
fucking disgrace, my grandfather must be rolling in his grave.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Thanks, Does the PI .gov pay them anything ? Shouldn't their own .gov have some obligation for this ? Didn't they kick all US forces out of their country like  Subic Bay etc. ?
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Here's my take on it:

Congress is trying to screw Filipino Vets out of their VA benefits under the guise of funding / funding programs for new disabled American Vets.

The rate at which WWII Vets are dying makes this a moot point.
There are about 6,000 surviving Filipino WWII vets, in about 10 years that number will be much less.

This needs to be fucking stopped right now, as it sets up a precident of taking away funding for one group of Vets to fund another.

How would you like it if in 2013 Congress passed a law that reduced the funding of Korean War Vets VA benefits to fund the latest Vets because 60 years had passed...

Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Here's my take on it:
snip for brevity

I respect their sacrifice, but weren't they fighting for their own country as well ? Why doesn't their own government pay it's own citizens ?

To me this is like paying French resistance fighters a pension out of USA tax money. I guess it's a nice gesture but why are we paying for it now ?
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, Does the PI .gov pay them anything ? Shouldn't their own .gov have some obligation for this ? Didn't they kick all US forces out of their country like  Subic Bay etc. ?

Who gives a flying fuck if the PI.gov pays them anything.
We kicked the Spanish out of the Philippines in August of 1898, at that point until 1946 the Philippines was an American colony.

We OWE VA compensation to the Filipino Vets of WWII.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's my take on it:
snip for brevity

I respect their sacrifice, but weren't they fighting for their own country as well ? Why doesn't their own government pay it's own citizens ?

To me this is like paying French resistance fighters a pension out of USA tax money. I guess it's a nice gesture but why are we paying for it now ?

You need to learn American/Philippine history.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's my take on it:
snip for brevity

Because sometimes you need to man the fuck up and do what is right.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's my take on it:
snip for brevity

I know they kicked us out and shut down our basing rights in the 90's, what else am I missing ? They must be made of money to do that. Why can't their own .gov compensate them ?
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's my take on it:
snip for brevity

I know they kicked us out and shut down our basing rights in the 90's, what else am I missing ? They must be made of money to do that. Why can't their own .gov compensate them ?

Because punishing the men who bled in the 40s for the actions of the men who postured in the 90s isn't what good nations do.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#45]
This kind off crap is disgraceful.  The USA is better than this...  
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#46]
IF they are successful here you can forget about any future veterans benefits as they will be cut or denied to veterans already receiving assistance.

drop them a line

E-mail:   [email protected]
Telephone: 904-296-7350, 877-TEAMWWP
Fax: 904-296-7347
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's my take on it:
snip for brevity

You are being obtuse or else trolling.

Let me make it easy for you.

We kicked the Spanish out of the Philippines in August of 1898, at that point until 1946 the Philippines was an American colony.

Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Wow.  First, MacArthur snuck out of the PI (to save his own sorry ass) and abandoned everybody to the Japanese, and now we're abandoning them again. That's just great.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
This kind off crap is disgraceful.  The USA is better than this...  
+1

This is severely disappointing. The shitbag politicians we have seem to take a never-ending delight in running our nations' word of honor down the crapper.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#50]

Because back then, Americans governed their country. Also, funny you should mention the french, because something similar happened there too. During WW2, many Algerians and Moroccans who were under French colonial rule volunteered to liberate France from Nazi rule. They fought and died for that country, even though they were treated like crap because they weren't white...and when the war ended, they got similarly shafted with their veteran benefits. There's a movie about it, Days of Glory, and it wasn't until the movie exposed this injustice did France finally man up and pay the vets what they deserved.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top