Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 5:19:56 PM EDT
Yesterday I noticed my temp gauge was near the high point on my way home from work. When I stopped, it would rise and when I was moving it dropped down. I figured its either my radiator or my cooling fan. This moring I popped the trunk to see if the fan was on, but it was not moving. I have a low auto knowledge, but Im guessing that fan is supposed to be constantly running.

I found a replacement online but am not sure what tools I would need to replace the fan assembly? Should I just take it into my local garage and have them replace. If I do this, I would like to just skip the diagnostic and just replace the fan.

Any advice?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#1]
see if the fan's getting electrical juice.  Unplug the connectors to the fan, hook up a volt meter and if you're getting >12volts DC, then assume the fans shot.  If not, then it's the electrical connection to the fan: fuse, relay, water temp sensor that trips the fan relay, etc.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#2]
try

www.mx6.com

The 2nd gen section will have all the info you will ever need.

But a simple rule has been; if you have to ask than your most likely not qualified.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks thatsjust what I needed. Ill probably take a chance and  just have them replace the entire assembly rather than pay $80 to just tell me its broken then replace it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#4]
all fans dont run all the time, some come on when needed.  Have you checked your coolent level?

dont just buy an assembly hoping that will fix it because most of the time you are replacing the part without the problem.  Actually, most places will not charge you to diagnose the problem if you pay for the part and labor (from them).
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#5]
No electric fans will run all the time unless you rewire them to do so. Run direct power to the fan and see if it runs. If not replace it. If so you have another problem. Could be a stuck thermostat.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No electric fans will run all the time unless you rewire them to do so. Run direct power to the fan and see if it runs. If not replace it. If so you have another problem. Could be a stuck thermostat.

doubt that

Yesterday I noticed my temp gauge was near the high point on my way home from work. When I stopped, it would rise and when I was moving it dropped down
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:32:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I brought it in yesterday for an oil change and asked them to take a look at it while they were in there. They said that the motor did burn out. They are going to charge me $250 for just the part. Ive seen the assembly and motor run for $80 tops for aftermarket replacements and I know a local guy who is far along in training to become a mechanic. Hopefully he will take the job as he only would charge me normal labor wages if he can tell me the right part to order.

But heres an idea. I dont have many mechanical tools at my disposal but Im pretty handy with stuff in the engineering aspect. Theres a store here that is like an engineer's wet dream that has anything I could possibly ever want. Im figuring if I can find out the output of the dead motor and buy one similar at the store I can just hook it up myself. Id probably just run it from the battery so it will be constantly on. Afterall it is only a motor running a cooling fan and isnt gonna destroy my car if I ghetto rig it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:49:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I brought it in yesterday for an oil change and asked them to take a look at it while they were in there. They said that the motor did burn out. They are going to charge me $250 for just the part. Ive seen the assembly and motor run for $80 tops for aftermarket replacements and I know a local guy who is far along in training to become a mechanic. Hopefully he will take the job as he only would charge me normal labor wages if he can tell me the right part to order.

But heres an idea. I dont have many mechanical tools at my disposal but Im pretty handy with stuff in the engineering aspect. Theres a store here that is like an engineer's wet dream that has anything I could possibly ever want. Im figuring if I can find out the output of the dead motor and buy one similar at the store I can just hook it up myself. Id probably just run it from the battery so it will be constantly on. Afterall it is only a motor running a cooling fan and isnt gonna destroy my car if I ghetto rig it.

Get the $80 part and drop $20 on a set of sockets/wrenches at Sears, they're always on sale, and replace it yourself or with some guideance from the local guy.  It's very satisfying to do repair jobs on your own vehicles.

I've recently replaced coolant hoses and the radiator on my '85 truck, replaced the starter and alternator on it more than once, as well as clutch master and slave cylinders, change my own oil, bleed the brakes, rotate tires, replace headlights, put in new exhaust studs, replaced rotor, distributer, put new o ring on distributer, replaced a battery cable, thermostat, fuel filter, etc.

As you take on each new job you gain more experience and confidence and save $ too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top