Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 7:10:19 PM EDT
I have a Kydex holster that bent today. It did not actually break, but it left a crease where it feels weakened. It there any way to repair this problem before it breaks? I was thinking of maybe heating it????

Anyone???
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Heat works
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone else?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Well there are no real repairs I can think of other than heating the area up and pushing it back into place and let cool. There are plastic glues that you may be able to glue a piece of Kydex over the damage area but I don't know if this would work on Kydex. You may just have to wait till the break and just buy another.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Try some gluedex
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Are we talking one of the belt clips here?  Welp...  You're screwed.  Sorry.

This is where the difference between a $20 kydex holster and a $60 kydex holster really becomes apparent.

(The guy that charges $60 will usually fix it for free)
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Are we talking one of the belt clips here?  Welp...  You're screwed.  Sorry.

This is where the difference between a $20 kydex holster and a $60 kydex holster really becomes apparent.

(The guy that charges $60 will usually fix it for free)

This IS a $60 kydex holster. There is also a 4-6 week waiting list for this holster.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Who made it and where did it break?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Its a Threat Solutions UCR. It broke where the belt tabs meet the body of the holster.

*I am in NO WAY bashing Threat Solutions as I am a firm believer that this is the best holster I have ever used.*
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its a Threat Solutions UCR. It broke where the belt tabs meet the body of the holster.

*I am in NO WAY bashing Threat Solutions as I am a firm believer that this is the best holster I have ever used.*

Mine broke there too.  I called and emailed and called and emailed Threat Solutions, and they never took the time to call or email me back, so despite the fact that they make a nice holster, I'll never buy from them again.  I asked them to either tell me how to -pay- them to repair, or how to repair myself, or if I just needed to buy a new one (which I said I'd do if that was the realistic option).  Given that two of the options involved me offering to give them more money, you'd think they'd get off their behinds and give me the courtesy of a reply.

Everyone said good things about Threat Solutions holsters, but when they could't even call me or email me back after -not kidding here- 6 calls, and 10 email (from two different email addresses, just in case I was getting filtered/blocked), I kind of decided they couldn't give a rip about helping an existing customer.  I used to really refer people to them too.

I tried 3 different glue/bonds (industrial strength Loktite stuff) but nothing held strong enough on the edge.  I ended up monkeying on a CTAC C-clip on the UCR and it works good.  I am thinking about making my own holsters from now on because this mess really pissed me off.

Great designed holster for comfort, not so sure about durability.  It should have replaceable clips like mine now does.

ETA:  IF it isn't cracked in any way, FieroLoki is right that heat will repair it.  Get a block of wood or something that matches the curve of the other clip (sand it to match if you need to).  Heat the bent/white area with a hair dryer or better, a heat gun, until the color goes back to the original color and the white is gone, then form it back to the way it was.  Be careful not to overheat or melt it.  Using a thicker (1-2") piece of closed cell foam (like in a gun case) between your hand and the kydex is a good way to ensure adequate but not overpressure in forming.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#10]
It is actually still the correct shape, but it has a white crease mark and flexes slightly along the crease.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Upon closer inspection of the holster, I noticed that it is also cracked near the trigger gaurd. I guess this one is shot.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#12]
DUCT TAPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top