Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 2:52:20 PM EDT
Wifey, sister in law, baby and I went to the NY Renaissance Fair today in Orange County, NY today. There were more people dressed up in costumes than there were visitors it seems! Goth kids, people walking around with animals, people dressed up in medieval costumes, people dressed up in fantasy outfits not connected to any real period of history, etc. Lots of boobies falling all over the place. Swordsmiths, glassblowers, and blacksmiths too. A good time once you get used to all the living history types and freaks.

Where do these people come from? Keep in mind I'm not talking about paid employees here, but rather people who dress up as a fantasy swordsman or whatever and then pay to get in just like everyone else.

I know somebody on the board is familiar with these people. Let's hear it.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I went with the family ONCE.  A whole group of people screaming for attention with bullhorns. Not to mention the prices they ask!

Too weird for me.

Prib
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
... people dressed up in medieval costumes, people dressed up in fantasy outfits not connected to any real period of history, etc. Lots of boobies falling all over the place. Swordsmiths, glassblowers, and blacksmiths too...

That's why I go.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Society for Creative Anachronism.

SCA
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:55:38 PM EDT
[#5]

I'll get hammered if I say.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... people dressed up in medieval costumes, people dressed up in fantasy outfits not connected to any real period of history, etc. Lots of boobies falling all over the place. Swordsmiths, glassblowers, and blacksmiths too...

That's why I go.

Teh Nerd
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a prettty big festival in Mid TN every weekend in May. It is a pretty good time. I like to go to watch the jousting.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:00:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

SCA

Yep, these are them.  The real hardcore ones anyway.  I guess I am quilty to a degree.  When I was 14 I was really into this kind of stuff.  Making chainmail, D&D and so on.  Then when I was 18 I came real close to joining the the SCA and it was an eye opener.  These people are way too socially screwed up for me.  It was a bunch of 40 yearold guys who still got together to drink cool-aid and play D&D, all fighting over one fat chick because she had cleavage.

Worst part is society is still more accepting of that then me as a 'gun nut'.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why I go.

Teh Nerd

teh b00bie ogler!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#10]
We go every October down here....wouldn't miss it.  The beer's cold, the food is GREAT and the breasts are HUGE!

HH
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

SCA

Okay, I'll go out on a limb here.  I used to be part of the SCA.  Until '03, I was a heavy (armored fighter) in every gathering on the west coast.  

Then, I grew up.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#12]
hey i resemble that remark    MonkTx was right probly SCA folks i once made plate armor for Jousting and Combat they have to met a certin standerd these pepole actuly go at it with wooden dowl swords and the ren joust troup dose joust off of horses ya know any how ya got to love em thay always put on a show and some of the girls can dress up pretty hot
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:05:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SCA

Yep, these are them.  The real hardcore ones anyway.  I guess I am quilty to a degree.  When I was 14 I was really into this kind of stuff.  Making chainmail, D&D and so on.  Then when I was 18 I came real close to joining the the SCA and it was an eye opener.  These people are way too socially screwed up for me.  It was a bunch of 40 yearold guys who still got together to drink cool-aid and play D&D, all fighting over one fat chick because she had cleavage.

Worst part is society is still more accepting of that then me as a 'gun nut'.

This was almost precisely my experience with Ren folks.

In my early teenage years I went to every Ren Fair I could.  Most of my friends were into it as well as my older brother and his friends.  It sure is an impressive money sink. Many of us actually joined one of the faire folk groups called the Empire of Adria.  Kindof an SCA splinter group that liked to actually fight with real swords instead of sticks.

Unlike most of the Ren Faire folk we just eventually grew up.  Still got all my junk in a foot locker in my closet though.  I still like to buy swords every once in a while too.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#15]
BTW, there is are a lot of drugs being done at these events.  For the people who just come for the day it seemed mostly to just be pot, but on the few overnights I was a part of I saw plenty of people doing harder shit.

Fuckers sure can drink though.  Ren folks are kindof like Carnies.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Dressed up like this guy?

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Wifey, sister in law, baby and I went to the NY Renaissance Fair today in Orange County, NY today. There were more people dressed up in costumes than there were visitors it seems! Goth kids, people walking around with animals, people dressed up in medieval costumes, people dressed up in fantasy outfits not connected to any real period of history, etc. Lots of boobies falling all over the place. Swordsmiths, glassblowers, and blacksmiths too. A good time once you get used to all the living history types and freaks.

Where do these people come from? Keep in mind I'm not talking about paid employees here, but rather people who dress up as a fantasy swordsman or whatever and then pay to get in just like everyone else.

I know somebody on the board is familiar with these people. Let's hear it.

I love ren faires.  Finishing up my suit of chainmail for the next one.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:16:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
We go every October down here....wouldn't miss it.  The beer's cold, the food is GREAT and the breasts are HUGE!

HH

Where?  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Ren folks are kindof like Carnies.

How so? Do they smell like cabbage?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I live in Kent...

Wadda you think?

Everytime I see one a these it reminds me of that King of the Hill episode where Peggy kicks "King Make-Believe's" ass.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Some are SCA.  Most are Rennies.  I happen to fall into both categories.  We usually make the Colorado Renaissance Faire in Larkspur a couple of times during its run.  I've also been to the one in Kansas City.

Both my wife and I are involved in our local SCA group.  Mostly it is a lot of fun.  One can learn some useful skills if they have the desire.  Because of my involvement in the SCA, I know how to make longbows.  I can also make arrows (cedar ones).  I am proficient with both a longbow and a recurve bow.  I am actually one of the top ranked archers in my state withing the SCA.  This is no mean feat when one considers some of our shoots go out as far as 100 yards (with no sights, I might add).  Someone here already mentioned the heavy combat (i.e. armored combat).  It is not my idea of fun; but, I'm told it is great fun to don armor and get into an unscripted fight with a similiarly armed opponent.  I'll sit back with my bow and pick them off at 60 yards, thank you very much.

Rennies tend to stick pretty much to visiting Ren Faires.  Many spend considerable time, effort and money creating their character and garb (clothing). Some go so far as to travel from one Ren Faire to another.  In our area, the Faires are not close enough for that.  The attraction is by immersing one's self in the Faire, you leave behind the "mundane" world during your Faire visit.  When we go to the Faire, we leave the cell phone in the van to minimize modern intrusions.  Sone Rennies go so far as to only speak in the Faire version of old English.  My accent is not good enough to pull that off.

I hope this has answered your questions to some degree.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:19:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HH

Where?  

Here:

www.texrenfest.com/

HH
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:20:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Awwwww, go on.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ren folks are kindof like Carnies.

How so? Do they smell like cabbage?

Depending on the booth they bought their food from.  I normally was there for the turkey legs, the Shepards Pie and all the sword booths.

I've heard the Wisconsin fair and one they hold up in Pennsylvania are pretty impressive.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awwwww, go on.

No chance
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#27]
On the down side, you have dozens and dozens of grown men dressed in brightly colored tights.

On the up side you can walk up to a booth and get a whole turkey leg.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
On the down side, you have dozens and dozens of grown men dressed in brightly colored tights.

On the up side you can walk up to a booth and get a whole turkey leg.

Yummmmmmm......Turkey Leg.........

I'm in!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Ren Faires are not exactly a common event in Europe. (SCA are popular though). I think it says something that the continent that lived through it decided that it was so unpleasant that they weren't about to voluntarily spend their weekends re-living it!

NTM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top