Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 3:09:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Hair dryer to soften the glue.  Peel gently, working the heat into the parting line. WD-40 takes care of the residue.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I used the hairdryer technique to remove all the crappy decals off my pick-up. The only thing I left on were the metal emblems.

I think it is funny people need to have 4X4 on their vehicle... Uh...oh yeah..this is a 4X4...almost forgot.

MT
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hair dryer to soften the glue.  Peel gently, working the heat into the parting line. WD-40 takes care of the residue.

+1 on the hair dryer.  A Good friend told me about that one.  Didn't get a chance to try it out when I picked up my new vehicle last week....they forgot to put one on!!!!  Saved me some headache.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#4]
NExt time you buy asnew car, do what I did....I told the salesman to have that removed before I signed the papers.  The loss of the commission is motivation enough for him to get someone at the dealership to do it. And if they mess up the paint job, don't sign...Camper
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Goofy as it sounds, to get the sticky stuff off the paint peanut butter gets it removed.  Best on a warm day and a thumbnail to scrap the remains off.  Might have to go at it a couple rounds depending on how much you scrap or how long you let it sit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
NExt time you buy asnew car, do what I did....I told the salesman to have that removed before I signed the papers.  The loss of the commission is motivation enough for him to get someone at the dealership to do it. And if they mess up the paint job, don't sign...[:D

Camper

I always have them removed before I take delivery.  No free advertising from me!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
NExt time you buy asnew car, do what I did....I told the salesman to have that removed before I signed the papers.  The loss of the commission is motivation enough for him to get someone at the dealership to do it. And if they mess up the paint job, don't sign...[:D

Camper

I always have them removed before I take delivery.  No free advertising from me!

+2

One of the many shit jobs I had in my youth was new car prep at a dealership.  We would wash and inspect cars for delivery, and put the damn stickers on. (and prep cars for showroom, wash customers cars - at least I didn't have to chase shopping carts )

Every once in a while a customer would insist they take the sticker off - once in a blue moon some paint would come off with it when e did so.  FWIW, we just used high pessure water, as the adhesive usually hadn't set too much.  The important thig is, if the dealership (we) fucked it up, they painted it and make it right.  If you fuck it up, you have to fix the paint job you ruined.

My last car, I only agreed to the sale after they said they would remove the stickers.  The next day I go to pick it up - the stickers (yes, TWO of 'em) were still there.  I raised HELL at that dealership.  The dealer was like, "it will just peel off."

I told him, "Well, if it was so FUCKING EASY, why haven't you been able to get it done in over 24 HOURS!"

It ended up coming off easy, but I was not about to risk taking paint off once I drove it home.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
NExt time you buy asnew car, do what I did....I told the salesman to have that removed before I signed the papers.  The loss of the commission is motivation enough for him to get someone at the dealership to do it. And if they mess up the paint job, don't sign...

Camper

I did the same exact thing.  I told him "unless you are going to pay me to advertise...take it off."  He thought I was kidding.  So I pistol whipped him with my SA Operator , then he removed the sticker
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#10]
There is a product on market called UnDu.  Used it to remove sticker that had been on five years.  Worked very well and fairly fast.  You can get it at Pep Boys or some stationery stores.
Be careful, it is very highly inflammable.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I never got a car from a dealer, but I wouldnt let there be one of those sticker on my car when I got it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Goo gone worked great on my new truck.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Also good for sticker reside is Goo Gone.  You should be able to find it at just about any drug store/DYI store.

TEST IT on a non visible are of your paintjob first.  It's not common but it can mar the finish.

EDIT: Yeah, what the guy above me said.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#15]
+1 for have the dealer remove it .

Many times it isn't applied until they do the dealer prep .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top