Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2001 9:33:14 PM EDT
Brownell's has a factory top folding stock for the 870 that is LEO restricted.  Why? Is this a Remington thing that the unwashed masses can't be trusted with a top folder? I guess the Choate side-folders don't instill the murder and mahem the top folder must instill?
Anybody got one? Any good? Any pics?

thanks
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 12:33:43 AM EDT
[#1]
We had 870’s with Remington folding stocks where I used to work but I found every excuse possible not to shoot them.  Recoil was pretty severe.

The ones we had did not have any kind of recoil pad, just a metal plate for the butt plate.  (Earlier versions had a thin piece of rubber pad - maybe ¼ inch thick - glued to the butt plate, but it tended to fall off.)  Also, the hard plastic pistol grip was a little thin at top and could hit the web of your hand pretty hard if the stock wasn’t pulled firmly into your shoulder.  Lastly, the metal stamping going from the receiver to the butt plate tended to be a little wider/higher than the wood stock – get a little careless and you could get whacked in the face.

If storage is an issue, they’re the way to go.  But if you’re going to being shooting your 870 much (at least with slug or 00 buck), you’ll enjoy it a whole lot more with a traditional stock.

I suspect the LEO only designation is a voluntary restriction – possibly since Remington does so much business with LE outfits.  I have seen these second hand at gun shows – look around hard enough and you may find one (though probably overpriced).

It is a well-made, solid feeling stock that locks up nicely.  It does have somewhat sharp edges along the sheet metal.

(Incidentally, these are standard issue with the Secret Service.)
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 12:47:55 AM EDT
[#2]
they are kinda cool. They look mean and are OK to shoot.  Some have sharper edges than others.  Like stated earlier it is great if storage is a big issue it is one of the best.  They lock up strong and rattle a bit. goofey as hell to put a sling on though.  But if you are after a look nothing looks meaner.  Second hand they run from $60 or so dollars to as high as $160.  So it may or may not be a good deal. All that aside not a bad stock, however not as good a a solid stock.  I got one if you want to drop me an e-mail.  

cheers Jim
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 2:47:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I use to have one but sold it.  Never shot the thing but it does look cool.  Looked like it would generate punishing recoil.

Just add the eXtension and you're set.  Did I mention the factory eXtension instructions states: "FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT ONLY" as well?

Well, it does.

Incidentally, that was the shotgun Sarah O'Connor used to blast the liquid metal Terminator at the end of Terminator II.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 5:41:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one on my 870. I like it. I radiused the edges lightly and reblued it. It locks very solid when open but there is a slight amount of up-down play when closed that can be noisy.

They are voluntarily restricted by Remington.
They are the coolist of the 870 folders IMO.

I am designing a sidesaddle shell holder to fit on the stock as well as the reciever to hold 5 more rounds out of the way.

BrenLover
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 8:42:15 AM EDT
[#6]
How is the stock in terms of getting a decent cheek weld?  The stock itself is metal, wouldn't that make for a lot of cuts on one's cheek?

Justin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top