Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2017 7:52:58 AM EDT
HuffPo fell for hoax piece

The Huffington Post South Africa defended publishing a controversial piece — which argued that white men should lose the right to vote — only for it to turn out to be a hoax written by a troll under a fake identity.

Not surprisingly, the piece caused a widespread backlash, with outlets including the Washington Free Beacon, the Daily Caller, and NewsBusters covering it. But then, according to local news source The Citizen, a writer and editor in Cape Town named Laura Twigg did some investigating and found out that there was no record of this “Shelley Garland” at the University of Johannesburg, where she had claimed to be studying — and the whole thing fell apart.  HuffPo SA editor-in-chief Verashni Pillay published piece on Saturday announcing that it had taken Garland’s initial post down, acknowledging that Garland “appears not to exist” and promising to require bloggers to “verify themselves” in the future.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:57:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Fake news is fake?  No way.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#2]
As if there is anything on the interwebs that isn't fake. Takes reel speshial kynd off stoopid two beeleave da interwebs
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:01:59 AM EDT
[#3]
The use of a nom de plume doesn't make the article a hoax - Huffington Post not only published it but one of their editors vigorously defended the thesis.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:02:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
What is this fakery?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:03:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:03:58 AM EDT
[#6]
#fakenewsauthor
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:03:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Doesn't matter that the author is fake. HP still endorsed the message. 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Doesn't matter that the author is fake. HP still endorsed the message. 
View Quote
True.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:15:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The use of a nom de plume doesn't make the article a hoax - Huffington Post not only published it but one of their editors vigorously defended the thesis.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Unpossible.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Got a link to the editor's defense of the thesis?  I'd like to republish that to a few sites I konw.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:20:00 AM EDT
[#13]
HuffPo published and defended it, as nauseating as it was.

And right here, we have people who expound on the virtues of disenfranchising women, as nauseating as that is. Shoe doesn't feel so good on the other foot, does it?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:21:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
HuffPo published and defended it, as nauseating as it was.
And right here, we have people who expound on the virtues of disenfranchising women, as nauseating as that is. Shoe doesn't feel so good on the other foot, does it?
View Quote
I have never said "disenfranchise women."  And their are jackasses here who have said "Disenfranchise anyone who isn't a Great American Debtor -- I mean, mortgage-holder/property-owner."

However, I have said "disenfranchise everyone under age 21."
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:21:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

PRECISELY.

Whether it was written seriously or as a hoax, bottom line is that HuffPoo gave it full-throated endorsement.
View Quote
And just who takes what the huffpo prints as legit besides themselves? By paying attention, you're participating in their circle jerk too. As I learned right away in Frat life - circle jerkers make for bad company.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:21:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Got a link to the editor's defense of the thesis?  I'd like to republish that to a few sites I konw.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's linked in the article you posted: Link
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#17]
HuffPo doing Huffpo things.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:23:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
exactly

huffpo published it and approved of it

It's not like the author hacked the Huffpo website and stuck it on there without permission
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:24:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I misunderstood; I thought HuffPo defended it's thesis AFTER it was debunked as a hoax.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:24:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Brought to you by the HuffPo Editors - The Shining Beacon of World Experience and Diversity.

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Brought to you by the HuffPo Editors - The Shining Beacon of World Experience and Diversity.

http://i.imgur.com/S9q2Fof.png
View Quote
Pussy meeting.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
As if there is anything on the interwebs that isn't fake. Takes reel speshial kynd off stoopid two beeleave da interwebs
View Quote
I don't believe this post.

#fakepost
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top