Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2009 7:30:11 PM EDT
Anyone watch this, and what is your take?
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Bill Maher is a genius, and one of the few men in America to be truly tolerant.

Actually after trying very hard to watch his television program, I can't stand his Moore-style misrepresentation and strawman arguments, or his arrogance and fear of any viewpoint different from his own.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Bill Maher is a genius, and one of the few men in America to be truly tolerant.

Actually after trying very hard to watch his television program, I can't stand his Moore-style misrepresentation and strawman arguments, or his arrogance and fear of any viewpoint different from his own.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 4:42:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I liked it, then again I've always liked Bill Maher.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been fairly neutral on Bill Maher over the years. Sometimes he says something witty and incredibly funny. Sometimes he's a boorish, whining bully with a modern day left-wing digital pulpit.

As for as Religilous goes, I thought it followed the same pattern. Some parts were hilarious and/or on point with some questions and concerns I've had with religions over the years. On the other hand, he seemed to go out of his way to get a variety of folks with questionable brain power on the screen to mock religion without feeling the need to have serious conversations with highly-intelligent theologians. Even in cases where the person sitting across from him was reasonable, there's always post-production to make it look like the person was a wingnut.

He's out to make a buck from his followers and detractors alike with his unoriginal mocking brand of comedy, and he's very good at it if you rank success by the amount of money he rakes in. As with most people with a serious agenda, he'll nudge the facts here and there to fall in line with his opinions, make a movie you either love or hate, and he'll laugh all the way to the bank.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#5]
My take on Bill Maher?.......

My take is....I wonder what snappy smart a** comments he is going to have about religeon on judgement day!?!?

He suffers from "Accute liberalitis"- The preposterous idea that being a liberal makes you smarter than anyone else on the planet, ensuring you do not even see the contradictions and absurdity of your own arguements, and most all leads you to mock powers you do not understand to your eternal detriment and worse the eternal detriment of others.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Television is a poor medium for serious issues period.

It is entertainment.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Religulous is a movie film, not a TV show :)
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:00:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

He suffers from "Accute liberalitis"- The preposterous idea that being a liberal makes you smarter than anyone else on the planet, ensuring you do not even see the contradictions and absurdity of your own arguements, and most all leads you to mock powers you do not understand to your eternal detriment and worse the eternal detriment of others.

This.  His pride is killing him.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top