Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 4:28:44 PM EDT
Just heard from my sister that their small community 20 minutes SE of Baton Rouge is now in the grips of a crime wave. Apparently they took in some refugees from NO. There have been a rash of burglaries, a couple rapes and lots of vandalism. She said their little town is in a virtual state of shock. Her husband now keeps a 12 gauge pump loaded at all times which scares the crap out of me because they have a 5 year old. I can't post her other comments here because they were too graphic. Suffice it to say, the local residents are in great fear for themselves and their property. The schools have been inundated with NO refugee kids which is in itself a major problem.
Gas is in very tight supply and the local infrastructure is stressed to the max.

Mark my words, it will not be long before the flood of water turns into a flood of crime in the surrounding communities. I pity the local residents. I really do.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just heard from my sister that their small community 20 minutes SE of Baton Rouge is now in the grips of a crime wave. Apparently they took in some refugees from NO. There have been a rash of burglaries, a couple rapes and lots of vandalism. She said their little town is in a virtual state of shock. Her husband now keeps a 12 gauge pump loaded at all times which scares the crap out of me because they have a 5 year old. I can't post her other comments here because they were too graphic. Suffice it to say, the local residents are in great fear for themselves and their property. The schools have been inundated with NO refugee kids which is in itself a major problem.
Gas is in very tight supply and the local infrastructure is stressed to the max.

Mark my words, it will not be long before the flood of water turns into a flood of crime in the surrounding communities. I pity the local residents. I really do.

why does that scare you? is he letting her play with it or is he irresponsible with firearms...either way i hope the best for them
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
they are in my prayers. not a very religious man but every good word has to help.

mike

Amen, and neither am I.

My Father was always fond of saying that there are no atheists in foxholes. In light of the events of the past few days I'm inclined to agree.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#4]
LA Gov should issue a three letter edict.

(hint: first letter is S... last letter is S)

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Survivalist apocalyptic fiction of the 70's and 80's wasn't so far fetched after all.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#6]
For my trip to jsut west of Monroe tomorrow, 12guage is in the back seat loaded with 00 buck and the .40 is in the trunk...(no good in a hurry, but it works)
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

why does that scare you? is he letting her play with it or is he irresponsible with firearms...either way i hope the best for them

He's a good guy I think but not a gun guy at all. Just a real hard working working blue collar guy trying to make it. I don't like having loaded weapons around small kids is all.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
LA Gov should issue a three letter edict.

(hint: first letter is S... last letter is S)

she has been nonexistant during this crisis, do you think that she would all of the sudden 'grow a set'
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#9]
30Cal, if you think it would help I have plenty of spare trigger locks that are all keyed alike. I'd be happy to mail one to you, for you to send to them. I could send a few keys, so the adults could wear them around their necks or something.

Not a perfect solution-but better than nothing. Let me know if you need it
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Off to buy that gun rack in the morning.

I dare them
I double dog dare them
Bring that $hit to my town and see what you get.
Scared? Me? Sure...of going to jail over what I would do. That's it...period.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Gee, what a shock!  What a surprise!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#13]
More anecdotes from the nightmare:

John LaCour writes:

I was born in Baton Rouge, LA. I grew up in Lafayette, New Iberia, Opelousas, and New Orleans, and spent every summer on Grand Isle. At the start of every hurricane season the local news, papers, etc cover the usual annual information regarding hurricanes and evacuation plans. They explain about needing to keep an ample stock of fresh water and food for every member of the household, batteries, flashlights, etc; and they show the official evacuation routes and ask that you plan how you will evacuate and where you will go. This is done EVERY YEAR.

In the city of New Orleans the order for Mandatory Evacuation was given a full 48 hours before the hurricane arrived, with police and fire going through the neighborhoods telling everyone to evacuate over their loudspeakers. This is a part of the life of everyone that lives along the Gulf Coast. They all know what to do and how to do it. You grow up hearing it every single year. There was no surprise, there was ample warning, and there was ample opportunity to leave.

As for the response post-Katrina, on Monday everyone was breathing a sigh of relief that New Orleans was spared. Rescue efforts were being geared to the Mississippi and Alabama coasts where the population densities were higher than the marsh lands south east of New Orleans. It wasn't until the levies failed late Monday night and early Tuesday morning that there was a need for more extensive planning in New Orleans. After that it was the failure of the Mayor to quickly order a total evacuation, and the Governor's failure for not over-stepping him and ordering it herself that caused a crisis to turn into a catastrophe. Once the flooding was complete there was no way for the people left in the city to escape.

Furthermore, it was the Mayor's and the Governor's fault for not mobilizing the Louisiana National Guard as early as Tuesday when it became apparent that the city was going to totally flood, and it was their fault that they also did not give orders to shoot-to-kill any looter stealing more than food, water, or shoes. In Mississippi the Governor almost immediately gave shoot-to-kill orders for looters. How many looting stories have made the news from Mississippi?

A very close friend's sister lived in New Orleans, stayed at her home through the hurricane and only made it out yesterday. On Wednesday she and her neighbor decided they had to leave even though their homes were in the 20% that didn't flood. They spent that day gathering what food and water they had, loading their guns, and testing possible routes out. On their second try they met up with two New Orleans police officers who at gun-point ordered them to return home telling them they "would not" help them. On Thursday, when they left, their SUV was mobbed by a huge crowd that tried to pull them out of their car and take it. Brandishing their guns they were able to escape. Along their route out of town they witnessed murders and mounds of bodies lining the streets. Had they not left I doubt they would have survived.

powerlineblog.com/archives/011547.php
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:57:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
For my trip to jsut west of Monroe tomorrow, 12guage is in the back seat loaded with 00 buck and the .40 is in the trunk...(no good in a hurry, but it works)

Why in the trunk?  Texas CHL is good in LA.

I'm helping take a load of food and water to the affected area Sunday, and  you'd better believe I'm going to go loaded for bear.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I dont have my CHL yet.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why in the trunk?  Texas CHL is good in LA.

I'm helping take a load of food and water to the affected area Sunday, and  you'd better believe I'm going to go loaded for bear.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
30Cal, if you think it would help I have plenty of spare trigger locks that are all keyed alike. I'd be happy to mail one to you, for you to send to them. I could send a few keys, so the adults could wear them around their necks or something.

Not a perfect solution-but better than nothing. Let me know if you need it

Thanks a bunch for the tip CJan_NH! I'll head down to Wally world tomorrow and get a couple to send to them. Excellent idea. You'd think with a house full of guns I'd have thought of that by now. Anyway thanks a major ton and I'll get 'er done!

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
More anecdotes from the nightmare:

John LaCour writes:

I was born in Baton Rouge, LA. I grew up in Lafayette, New Iberia, Opelousas, and New Orleans, and spent every summer on Grand Isle. At the start of every hurricane season the local news, papers, etc cover the usual annual information regarding hurricanes and evacuation plans. They explain about needing to keep an ample stock of fresh water and food for every member of the household, batteries, flashlights, etc; and they show the official evacuation routes and ask that you plan how you will evacuate and where you will go. This is done EVERY YEAR.

In the city of New Orleans the order for Mandatory Evacuation was given a full 48 hours before the hurricane arrived, with police and fire going through the neighborhoods telling everyone to evacuate over their loudspeakers. This is a part of the life of everyone that lives along the Gulf Coast. They all know what to do and how to do it. You grow up hearing it every single year. There was no surprise, there was ample warning, and there was ample opportunity to leave.

As for the response post-Katrina, on Monday everyone was breathing a sigh of relief that New Orleans was spared. Rescue efforts were being geared to the Mississippi and Alabama coasts where the population densities were higher than the marsh lands south east of New Orleans. It wasn't until the levies failed late Monday night and early Tuesday morning that there was a need for more extensive planning in New Orleans. After that it was the failure of the Mayor to quickly order a total evacuation, and the Governor's failure for not over-stepping him and ordering it herself that caused a crisis to turn into a catastrophe. Once the flooding was complete there was no way for the people left in the city to escape.

Furthermore, it was the Mayor's and the Governor's fault for not mobilizing the Louisiana National Guard as early as Tuesday when it became apparent that the city was going to totally flood, and it was their fault that they also did not give orders to shoot-to-kill any looter stealing more than food, water, or shoes. In Mississippi the Governor almost immediately gave shoot-to-kill orders for looters. How many looting stories have made the news from Mississippi?

A very close friend's sister lived in New Orleans, stayed at her home through the hurricane and only made it out yesterday. On Wednesday she and her neighbor decided they had to leave even though their homes were in the 20% that didn't flood. They spent that day gathering what food and water they had, loading their guns, and testing possible routes out. On their second try they met up with two New Orleans police officers who at gun-point ordered them to return home telling them they "would not" help them. On Thursday, when they left, their SUV was mobbed by a huge crowd that tried to pull them out of their car and take it. Brandishing their guns they were able to escape. Along their route out of town they witnessed murders and mounds of bodies lining the streets. Had they not left I doubt they would have survived.

powerlineblog.com/archives/011547.php

Oh my God!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I feel for them. All the more reason to teach your kids to be responsible around firearms though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What is the name of the community ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top