Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 4:13:35 PM EDT
This morning our 2 year old Kitchen Aid's ice maker had problems this morning and we have not got any ice since.

Went i went into the kitchen i heard a clicking noise coming from the freezer.When i opened the door the ice maker was attempting to dump the new ice so i knocked the new cubes out of the rack and the clicking stopped but since this morning no new ice has dropped even though i can feel new frozen ones in the tray.

I didn't pry on the plastic things that dump the ice nor did i use tannerite to dislodge the new cubes and stop the clicking noise......any idea what to do?? The ice level bar is down also.

Thanks...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Although I can't answer your question, the following pic will help you get the assistance you need.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Although I can't answer your question, the following pic will help you get the assistance you need.

www.nwspiders.org/grammastola.rosea-1.jpg

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a trap!

There is no D in refrigerator, but there is supposed to be a d in fridge.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#4]
There's no "D" in refrigerator.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There's no "D" in refrigerator.  

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

www.nwspiders.org/grammastola.rosea-1.jpg

Thats just so wrong.......I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Man....what a bunch o' bored mo' fo's

Get some fresh air.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Get some fresh air.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Had a similar problem recently.  Check the funnel that the water pours into from the feed into tray that it is frozen in.  Make sure it is clear.  Mine had slowly accumulated water that froze and eventually clogged, kinda the way a icicle is formed.  

Anyway, if this is your problem.  Take a hair dryer to it and send me the 80 bucks for the service call.

Szurgot
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder if DrFrige is back from work yet???
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:16:50 PM EDT
[#11]
you might have better luck if you remove the "d" from your post title...

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife just paged me to help here... OK this is gonna be an easy one...

Is the arm of the icemaker up or down? If it is up can you let it down? That is the shut off arm and is OPPOSITE of  a light switch... Up is off and down is on... go figure.

If it is down, pull the white 5"x5" cover off the icemaker. there should be a white 1 1/2" gear. See if it has any missing teeth. they are notorious for breakage.

That is if it is a white gear on a metal plate.

IF it is a 2" gear on a gray plastic plate where the gear says "DO NOT ROTATE MANUALLY" check to see if the "fingers" that push the ice out of the mold is stuck on the stripper (White piece on the side of the icemaker"

If you are looking at the gear of the icemaker (Front) what position are the fingers in> 12 oclock? 3 oclock 6 clock?

Let me know what you find.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Get some fresh air.

Yeah no shit... little do they know that I am currently under electro shock therapy and hypnosis and medication to overcome my fear of spiders..

Ha the joke is on them!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get some fresh air.

Yeah no shit... little do they know that I am currently under electro shock therapy and hypnosis and medication to overcome my fear of spiders..

Ha the joke is on them!!!

You know, since you're in California anyway, maybe an appearance on 'fear factor' where they bury you in a pit with 10,000 spiders could be a faster way of overcoming your arachnophobia.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
This morning our 2 year old Kitchen Aid's ice maker had problems this morning and we have not got any ice since.

Went i went into the kitchen i heard a clicking noise coming from the freezer.When i opened the door the ice maker was attempting to dump the new ice so i knocked the new cubes out of the rack and the clicking stopped but since this morning no new ice has dropped even though i can feel new frozen ones in the tray.

I didn't pry on the plastic things that dump the ice nor did i use tannerite to dislodge the new cubes and stop the clicking noise......any idea what to do?? The ice level bar is down also.

Thanks...

I have a Whirlpool doing the exact same thing, 'cept mine would go a few days without dumping ice, work fine for a while, then stop again.  Now, it hasn't worked in a couple weeks.  

Are the Whirlpool/Kitchenaids the same type of icemaker?  Mine has the white cover, how does it come off?

Thanks Dr. Frige.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks...

I have a Whirlpool doing the exact same thing, 'cept mine would go a few days without dumping ice, work fine for a while, then stop again.  Now, it hasn't worked in a couple weeks.  

Are the Whirlpool/Kitchenaids the same type of icemaker?  Mine has the white cover, how does it come off?

Thanks Dr. Frige.

Yes they are the same brand (FSP) which is in FACT Whirlpool. You should see a notch on the bottom where you can take a stubby flat blade screwdriver and pry the cover off... comes off pretty easy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#17]
WARNING!!!!! UNDERNEATH THE ICEMAKER THERE IS AN ALUMINUM TUBE IN A "U" SHAPE. IT IS ABOUT 5/16" IN DIAMETER... THAT IS A HEATER!!!! IT CAN BURN YOU WHEN IT IS ENERGIZED!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#18]
tag
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#19]
ALSO NOTE!! That icemakers are designed to work UNDER 11 degrees, if the freezer is not cold enough, it WILL shut itself off. Make sure there is ice in the icemaker mold.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
tag

TAG???? NOT YOURS TOO!!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey, you're better off than me, our icemaker tastes like someone threw an onion in there while it was making ice.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks...

Thanks Dr. Frige.

Yes they are the same brand (FSP) which is in FACT Whirlpool. You should see a notch on the bottom where you can take a stubby flat blade screwdriver and pry the cover off... comes off pretty easy.

O.K, pried the cover off, the cover itself seemed to have quite a bit of ice buildup in it.  Normal?  I see the "Do not rotate manually" dial.   Also, the arm bar has not been "right" for a while, it doesn't really "click" up or down, I just try to make sure it's down as far as possible.  Ideas?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:26:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag

Mine too ...  Double door Whirlpool ... jsut gave up on the ice maker and shut it "off".

Do you make housecalls down here?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Hey, you're better off than me, our icemaker tastes like someone threw an onion in there while it was making ice.

Ice is the BIGGEST magnet of odors. make sure EVERYTHING in your refrigerator and freezer section is 100%sealed. Also dump your ice once every 2 weeks, keeps the icemaker chugging and the ice fresh.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks...

Thanks Dr. Frige.

O.K, pried the cover off, the cover itself seemed to have quite a bit of ice buildup in it.  Normal?  I see the "Do not rotate manually" dial.   Also, the arm bar has not been "right" for a while, it doesn't really "click" up or down, I just try to make sure it's down as far as possible.  Ideas?

UH OH!.. have you been noticing black flakes in your ice?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#26]
HEY AVILAS!!! IM WORKING ON 4 DIFFERENT ISSUES HERE!!!!!

Can I get my own forum???
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag

Mine too ...  Double door Whirlpool ... jsut gave up on the ice maker and shut it "off".

What was it doing? or what WASNT it doing? I'll get ya going!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#28]
No, no black flakes....

We do have fairly hard water in our area, though.  Is that what you are thinking?  

I just looked at it again, the gear seams fine, the ice "pushers" are at about 2 o'clock.  I *think* there is ice in the maker, ready to be dropped.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag

My ice maker (Amana frige) stopped working years ago, and I've thought about hassling you about it - but I really don't use ice (only my wife does ), so it's not really a big deal to me.  I TRIED staring at it blankly for a while, and jiggling the thingy, but somehow that didn't help.

However, Szurgot may be onto something, so I nuked the supply line/tube inside the freezer with my wife's spare hair dryer for a while, and managed to extract a big plug of ice.   So maybe that was the problem.  So now I put down the bar/sensor, and I guess I'll see tomorrow if it worked.  If not, hopefully this thread will be illuminating.

ETA:   That didn't help  I pulled out the ice plug several hours ago, and I've heard the sounds that usually means the water is filling up, but there doesn't appear to be any water in the tray.  Maybe there's still more ice clogged in there, fuither back?     Oh well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag

Mine was leaking all over the place. Not from overflow in the tray but fom the water line feeding the tray ...

No worries though ... i'm just too friggin tired of it going bonkers to call the repair man. Thank's for the offer.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
No, no black flakes....

We do have fairly hard water in our area, though.  Is that what you are thinking?  

I just looked at it again, the gear seams fine, the ice "pushers" are at about 2 o'clock.  I *think* there is ice in the maker, ready to be dropped.

OK If there was ice under the cover and got into the mold, chances are the mold of the icemaker is deteriorating and getting into the module (The control head) the icemaker has to be replaced. It is usually held in place by three screws... One on the bottom and two on the top... Remove those screws and look at the coating of the ice maker mold.. is it deteriorating?

If it is a newer icemaker, the mold was green in color rather than black. So if it was flaking they would have been a VERY light green to a white color... kind of waxy looking.

take the icemaker out and see... Now when you have the screws removed, the wire plug can be unplugged by depressing the 3/16" tab on the control head, or if it is plugged into the side of the freezer with a 1 1/2" round plug... or in the back of the freezer... should be 4 wires (Pink, White, tan, and green)
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag

Mine was leaking all over the place. Not from overflow in the tray but fom the water line feeding the tray ...

No worries though ... i'm just too friggin tired of it going bonkers to call the repair man. Thank's for the offer.

You may just have the fill tube out of the fill cup or there is a piece of ice in the fill cup that plugged it up so the water had to go somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No, no black flakes....

OK If there was ice under the cover and got into the mold, chances are the mold of the icemaker is deteriorating and getting into the module (The control head) the icemaker has to be replaced. It is usually held in place by three screws... One on the bottom and two on the top... Remove those screws and look at the coating of the ice maker mold.. is it deteriorating?

If it is a newer icemaker, the mold was green in color rather than black. So if it was flaking they would have been a VERY light green to a white color... kind of waxy looking.

take the icemaker out and see... Now when you have the screws removed, the wire plug can be unplugged by depressing the 3/16" tab on the control head, or if it is plugged into the side of the freezer with a 1 1/2" round plug... or in the back of the freezer... should be 4 wires (Pink, White, tan, and green)

Sounds feasible.  The icemaker is about 8 years old.  I'm too tired/lazy tonight to pull it out, but I looked and found the 3 screws.  Dumb question, after the screws are out, will the water line need to be unplugged somehow from the back?  What should I spend on a new one, and is Sears the place to get it?  

Your help is appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No, no black flakes....

Sounds feasible.  The icemaker is about 8 years old.  I'm too tired/lazy tonight to pull it out, but I looked and found the 3 screws.  Dumb question, after the screws are out, will the water line need to be unplugged somehow from the back?  What should I spend on a new one, and is Sears the place to get it?  

Your help is appreciated.  Thanks.

No the water does not have to be shut off. The water is controlled electronically by the icemaker, once the icemaker is unplugged, it will not let water in.

Hey anytime you need help... just post or IM me.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
No the water does not have to be shut off. The water is controlled electronically by the icemaker, once the icemaker is unplugged, it will not let water in.

Hey anytime you need help... just post or IM me.

I'll try to get it done in the next few days.  I will most likely be in touch.  

Again, thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#36]
What do the black flakes mean? My parents ice maker does that, it works fine but there are black flakes in the ice from time to time.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
What do the black flakes mean? My parents ice maker does that, it works fine but there are black flakes in the ice from time to time.

Deteriorating teflon-like mold. coming apart. get ready to replace the icemaker... See if you can find an appliance parts house near you and they sell the replacement kit. Part number is 978556
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:02:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Thanks

Anytime guys... Anytime!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top