Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 2:37:41 PM EDT
What is the main difference between red and green Loctite?  Is one necessarily stronger than the other?

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Red isn't moving unless you apply fire to it.

Green keeps shit from vibrating off, but needs no heat to remove.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Red is supposed to be permanent. Green is thin and will wick into very narrow gaps it's supposed to be permanent too. Both will lose strength if heated to 350 F.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Red is High Strength thread locker  , Green is bearing and sleeve retainer .
typically for non-threaded apps . There are also two types of green
one is self wicking the other is meant to be applied before assembly .
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What is the main difference between red and green Loctite?  Is one necessarily stronger than the other?

Red takes lots of heat and luck to break the bond. Green is a permanent glue, used for bearings..
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Red Green loctite would be comprised of rolls of duct tape
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#6]
www.kscdirect.com/stores/loctite/

Look at...

Retaining

Threadlocking

Thread Sealants

For the Type and what it's used for...
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Red, permanent (almost)

Blue, Purple, "service removable"

Green, I see this mostly on electronics, not as strong as Blue or Purple, apparently used as a marker to indicate if something has been tampered with.

There is also a type of locktite that the purpose is to seal threads in pneumatic systems.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:03:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Just to confuse things further, there are about 10 types of each color. Spend some quality time on the Loctite web site. It's usually best to specify the stuff in terms of it's part number, like the #641 bearing retaining compound I just ordered--just one of a large variety of compounds. And I ordered it without even knowing what color it is
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Red Green loctite would be comprised of rolls of duct tape

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Red loctite = The Devil  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok, here's why I ask.  I own a Springfield Armory Factory Comp 1911, and the comp won't stay tight.  It has a habit of loosening up after a half a box of shells, and has become a little annoying.  I called Springfield, and the tech told me that I should simply use Green Loctite on the comp and the barrel threads, and that should lock it on to the point I won't even need the set screw.  I asked if he meant Blue, and he responded I should use Green as it is more permanent.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Use blue. I have used it for years to lock screws in place. It works on rifle scopes very well. All it takes is a good screwdriver that fits the screw to break it loose. Never had a scope mount or rings shot lose after I loctited it with blue.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I also use the blue on my scope screws.

Works good and is still removable without destroying anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top