Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/9/2006 3:33:20 PM EDT
I just have a quick question I was hoping one of you might have the answer to.

Today I visited my Army recruiting center again, to start the ball rolling on the enlistment process. Time and time again, I've been told to have them put my MOS in writing as a contract, and make it guaranteed that I would get it. Today I was talking to one of the recruiters about guaranteed MOS, and they mentioned a new program they had, which temporarily reserved an MOS for you, but only if you go to MEPS in the next seven to ten days.

My question is, is this legit? What did everyone mean when they said to get my MOS in a contract? Does the temporary reservation actually reserve it, or is it a "you might get this, or you might get something else"?

Thanks for any replies.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's the deal...no matter what, you go to MEPS
for your inprocessing, screening etc,and, then, you
sit down and get your job.

It will be in writing then, no matter what.

It doesn't matter when you go....It's the
same proceedure.

Sounds like it's a selling tactic.

Screw it..go ahead and go?  What are you waiting on?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#2]
New one on me, I'd say at first glance that someone has a goal to meet though.

Did you do ok on your ASVAB? If you did well enough to get the MOS you want screw it get on the bus and go man.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Make em sweat!!! Keep canceling till the end of the month is coming up.

If you play your cards right you can get a BONUS and even a free TSHIRT!!!

I screwed my recruiter for like 20 carabiner clips and a backpack!!!

She got me back tho, about thirty secs into basic training I started to think she got the better part of the deal.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#4]
It is a bad time to enlist right now.

JMO
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

My question is, is this legit?

What did everyone mean when they said to get my MOS in a contract? Does the temporary reservation actually reserve it, or is it a "you might get this, or you might get something else"?

Ever have a blind date described as "having a nice personality"????? Did she look like a dog with a "nice personality"?????

Thinking you'll get a MOS w/o it being in writing is like that blind date: you're gonna get a dog.

Legally, the govt can screw you anyways on your initial contract IF they want/need to. Having it writing just makes you have better odds, is all.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

JMO

It's always a good time to enlist...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

JMO

It's always a good time to enlist...

Please don't feed the
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:56:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Get everything in writing beforehand.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

JMO

Ok that is just straight up trolling.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

JMO

When the fuck would it be a good time to enlist?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:57:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

JMO

When the fuck would it be a good time to enlist?

He's done thisone at least one other thread.  Don't feed him.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#12]
The kid don't need to answer me, I just hope he thinks hard about it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I probably should've mentioned that the reservation was an actual piece of paper that lists the MOS and any benefits along with ship date. You sign the piece of paper, and then you have to go to MEPS within the next seven to ten days.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'm a bit more cautious because I'd be, you know... signing over several years of my life, and if I'm not careful I could end up being the latrine-boy. Get my drift?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#16]
go in the USMC...it doesn't matter what is in writing to them...they'll promise that you won't go to the war and that is the first place you'll go...but, you'll retire before you get to mid life and you'll have a pension and can start a business and travel and have a whole new life again ...  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:39:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I was a U.S.  Army recruiter. Get everything in writing. I don't care if the recruiter is your uncle and he takes you out for a blowjob from Jessica Simpson. When you sighn your name on the line if you haven't got an MOS in writing then your ass belongs to the Army and they can give you a job catching rattle snakes if they want.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#19]
That's the thing. This is in writing, you sign it and everything. But that addition of 'must go to MEPS within seven days' sounds a bit strange.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Just go to MEPS, when you meet with your liason officer, tell him what MOS you want. If he says they don't have any slots left for that MOS tell him you'll be back next month. Seriously.

All the recruiters do is facilitate you going to MEPS where you actually start your "application process" to come into the military. The recruiter honestly can't promise you anything other then a ride up to MEPS, lol.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe it's different, but when I joined the Navy the recruiter put me down for the rate of my choice. It wasn't until I did my processing at MEPS that I was presented with available rates and I signed a contract. That locked me into a job, not the recruiter.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#22]
A recruiter can not put an MOS specific job in writing. The Job / Guidance counselor is the only person authorized to put a job on a contract. The recruiters job is to get you into the seat at the MEPS station. Where are you located?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
A recruiter can not put an MOS specific job in writing. The Job / Guidance counselor is the only person authorized to put a job on a contract.

You SURE about that?  I heard that recruiters can reserve an MOS for you before you go to MEPS.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I just have a quick question I was hoping one of you might have the answer to.

Today I visited my Army recruiting center again, to start the ball rolling on the enlistment process. Time and time again, I've been told to have them put my MOS in writing as a contract, and make it guaranteed that I would get it. Today I was talking to one of the recruiters about guaranteed MOS, and they mentioned a new program they had, which temporarily reserved an MOS for you, but only if you go to MEPS in the next seven to ten days.

My question is, is this legit? What did everyone mean when they said to get my MOS in a contract? Does the temporary reservation actually reserve it, or is it a "you might get this, or you might get something else"?

Thanks for any replies.

When I enlisted, my Recruiter told me, that due to my extraordinary high intelligence(), I could have any MOS that I desired......he says, "Write down your top three choices here.".....So I do,(all 3 were in the 5900's, Avionics), I joined the Delayed Entry Program, and then off to boot camp I went, 10 months later.......well........about 3-4 days before graduation, when we all found out our MOS's, I get 2818....freaking radio repair.....I'm like "WTF?".......the Senior says, "What did you say?".......I got a free trip to the quarter deck, and became a radio repairman......
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#25]
"Temporarily Reserved"= We have it reserved for you until we decide where we are REALLY going to put you.

The way to control your destiny in the military is to be the best.  If you're #1 in what you're doing, you get #1 pick of what you will be doing.

If you're going to enlist, by all means do so, but no matter what you think might be in writing, bust your ass like you're competing for your very life.  I guarantee that if you have that kick ass MOS lined up, and then are a slug at BMT, you will find yourself sorely mistaken when you think you are keeping your kickass MOS
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#26]
A recruiter can set up a whish list for you. So when you get to the MEPS they can try to fullfill your choice. A recruiter can not put a job on a contract and make it stick. Your job is assigned at the MEPS, in writing, on your contract when you sighn on the line that is dotted. Just dont sighn and swear in untill you get the job you want. When you are in the chair and they try to talk you into another job just tell them you will check with the other services and see if they have the job you want. I have seen Jobs get loaded into the computer after a phone call to the Headquarters in Maryland, if they need to fill a pair of boots to make their monthy mission you hold all the cards. Don't get intimidated and stand your ground to get waht you want!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

<----This kid thought about it and did it.  Damn glad I did, too.  Too bad about your inferiority complex...

Just keep telling yourself you could  have done it if you'd have really wanted to.  Maybe that'll make you feel better.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I served thirteen years and I loved every day up untill they made me a recruiter. I got out when my time was up. I will try and have all my kids serve. I think everyone should have too serve at least 2 years. But thats me. I am sure there are others who feel differently.  I will tell you one thing when I was a recruiter I saw shit I could not beleive. I was interviewing this kid one time in a house that looked like a crack den from the outside. It was in a seriously ghetto part of allentown, PA anyway as i was talking to this kid and his mother I saw something move in my peripheral vision so I turned and a rooster was walking accross the coffe table his name was Earl. That just tossed the whole interview. A live rooster in the house, the kids mom weighed about 300 pounds. I felt sorry for the kid when he was disqualified because he had asthma. The kid wanted to get away from his familiy that was too disfunctional to even be called disfunctional. He wanted out, he was a nice kid but at the time I was recruiting Asthma was a show stopper.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#29]
yes they are trying to trick you by pressuring you to join by giving you a 7 - 10 day deadline to hurry up and get down to MEPS before you lose your chance on getting that guranteed job training

never join when they give you a deadline to enlist within the next 7 days, sounds like BS to me

once you go down to MEPS you are commited to enlisting that day
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
yes they are trying to trick you by pressuring you to join by giving you a 7 - 10 day deadline to hurry up and get down to MEPS before you lose your chance on getting that guranteed job training

never join when they give you a deadline to enlist within the next 7 days, sounds like BS to me

Says who?  That's not true.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Well, you're free to walk up until you say the oath.  I'd follow the advice to get it in writing.  But, who guarantees that? The MEPS officer?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Well, you're free to walk up until you say the oath.  I'd follow the advice to get it in writing.  But, who guarantees that? The MEPS officer?

The MEPS "counselor" is the one that goes into the CPU and, gets you
your job.  Then, you go into the delayed entry program DEP,
until your ship date.

You return to MEPS on your ship date, and, they swear you in again....
Yes, they do it after you get your job.

Until you take that second oath, you can walk away at
any time.

You will have your job garunteed "in writing" (Like it matters to .mil if they
need you somehwere else bad enough (fine print) )  when you leave
MEPS the first time.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

You are not legally committed until you sign off on the day you ship out.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#34]
IIRC nothing that my recruiter made me sign was a legal contract saying I had to do jack shit.
All of those legally binding documents are signed at the MEPS Station, and your recruiter is all but hands off once you're in that building. They are pretty much the guys in front of a building handing out flyers trying to get you to go in and try the special.
If they don't give you the MOS you want, walk out. If they say it's full they are either BS'ing you or there are no slots available. Eventually a slot will become available.

What MOS are you shooting for?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:23:06 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
IIRC nothing that my recruiter made me sign was a legal contract saying I had to do jack shit.
All of those legally binding documents are signed at the MEPS Station, and your recruiter is all but hands off once you're in that building. They are pretty much the guys in front of a building handing out flyers trying to get you to go in and try the special.
If they don't give you the MOS you want, walk out. If they say it's full they are either BS'ing you or there are no slots available. Eventually a slot will become available.

Yup.

"Ok...Thanks.  I guess I'll come back next week and see what's availiable then."
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.

"Ok...Thanks.  I guess I'll come back next week and see what's availiable then."

Or better yet (depending on where you live) go to a different recruiting station. It might chap some people's asses (much like going to a car dealership and askin for a different dealer than the one that you test drove with last week) but I don't think there's much they can do about it. If they give you that uch grief tell them the AF will take you. That'll change their tune.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Wow - some great replies on here, thanks. So basically I can get everything started with the recruiter, to to MEPS, and then stand my ground until I get my MOS in writing? Sounds pretty straightforward.

I'm planning to go for 19D (Cav Scout). I've started off fairly recently on my physical training, as I haven't ran or anything in a while. I'm going to train for two months, basically until I get my EMT-B Cert and my lease is up. I got a 96 on the ASVAB, but I don't know if it's still good (I took it a while ago).
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Wow - some great replies on here, thanks. So basically I can get everything started with the recruiter, to to MEPS, and then stand my ground until I get my MOS in writing? Sounds pretty straightforward.

I'm planning to go for 19D (Cav Scout). I've started off fairly recently on my physical training, as I haven't ran or anything in a while. I'm going to train for two months, basically until I get my EMT-B Cert and my lease is up. I got a 96 on the ASVAB, but I don't know if it's still good (I took it a while ago).

If you're giving yourself some time before joining, try to pick up a "grey" book, or whatever the basic training's "smart book" is called these days. It's a book with all of the really basic soldiering stuff like You'll get a HUGE headstart on things if you know a lot of what's  in that book before shipping out and it'll take a lot of the stress out of the whole experience.

TRADOC Publication 600-4 IET Soldier's Handbook

Ask your recruiter to get you one now. If he can't then he's probably not too interested in helping you out because I'm fairly certain it shouldn't be very difficult to get.

While you're at it, ask him for a CTT manual. Some of the same things in there from what I remember but it's one you'll use throughout your time in the Army.

Here it is. Right Click > Save Target As

Learn it cover to cover... or at leats memorize everything in it and learn what it means while you're there.

Getting in shape before you go is another one of the best things you can do for yourself to ease the stress. If you have those two things covered you'll breeze through the whle experience.

Best thing you can do for getting in shape is push-ups sit-ups and running. That's all you'll be doing in basic so there's not point in going to much off course. That and rucking.

ETA: Here's another good read for getting an idea of hosw things are generally run, but some of it might not make much sense. link
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I want to say it's good for 2 years or some such, but I can't remember.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:05:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Always remember RECRUITERS LIE, some worse than others, but they ALL lie
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Always remember RECRUITERS LIE, some worse than others, but they ALL lie

Can of worms: CHECK
Can opener: CHECK
Can of worms now opened: CHECK

From the woodwork comes the recruiters... and it ain't gonna be pretty.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

same proceedure.

it's been over 10 years since i've been in.  at the time i entered, i was promised, and received, my school of choice.  Part way through school, it was announced that the cash bonus for signing up was being rescinded.  In other words, the money they promised me for going to advanced electronics school was not going to be paid.  Do not trust them.  

When I was in boot, a guy signed up for service w/ no promise of any school.  He was told that those decisions were made in boot.  He was told (kind of) correctly.  While in boot, he was told he would be a boatswains mate.  Great news for him.  He would spend the next four years chipping paint.  Now there's a skill worth signing up for.   DO NOT TRUST THEM.

They will tell you what it takes for you to sign up.  DO NOT TRUST THEM.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

same proceedure.

it's been over 10 years since i've been in.  at the time i entered, i was promised, and received, my school of choice.  Part way through school, it was announced that the cash bonus for signing up was being rescinded.  In other words, the money they promised me for going to advanced electronics school was not going to be paid.  Do not trust them.  

When I was in boot, a guy signed up for service w/ no promise of any school.  He was told that those decisions were made in boot.  He was told (kind of) correctly.  While in boot, he was told he would be a boatswains mate.  Great news for him.  He would spend the next four years chipping paint.  Now there's a skill worth signing up for.   DO NOT TRUST THEM.

"Needs of the Army".

did you not read the fine print?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

*Heh*...Oh..don't worry.  You'll get Cav Scout.  *Heh*.  No worries.......Mr. 96 ASVAB.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

same proceedure.

"Needs of the Army".

no.  i did not read the fine print.  it was one of the first of many lessons in my life.  The lesson  learned was:

DO NOT TRUST THEM
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Getting in shape before you go is another one of the best things you can do for yourself to ease the stress.

Definitely !!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*Heh*...Oh..don't worry.  You'll get Cav Scout.  *Heh*.  No worries.......Mr. 96 ASVAB.

ok, you got a chuckle out of me there.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

same proceedure.

"Needs of the Army".

no.  i did not read the fine print.  it was one of the first of many lessons in my life.  The lesson  learned was:

DO NOT TRUST THEM

Uh...Yeah...Great..So, he shouldn't sign up then?  Is that what you're saying?
"Don't trust the Army"
Good advice...Now, what are you saying?  How is he supposed to do MORE to
garuntee his job?

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Sounds like part of this could be that people are targetting the recruiter as the easy punching bag for venting out bad feelings about the Army.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ok, you got a chuckle out of me there.

I'm only grinning 'casue you're vastly over-qualified for being a shooter.

If you want to be a shooter...Go be a shooter, bro...Be prepared for a blank
stare from your MEPS counselor :)

You're smart.  Facts are facts.  It takes a higher ASVAB score to be a 19D than an 11
series.  

Think about 11X.  If you can take the training, it's a good path.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top