Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2010 9:58:53 AM EDT
I joined the Army National Guard 2weeks ago and went to my 1st RSP drill last weekend. Got issued a ACU uniform with Altama 3LC Desert Mil spec boots.    There kinda uncomfortable. So my question is, what can I purchase that is comfortable and  still be in regulation. Plus I leave for Basic in Jan, so will I be able to bring my own boots??
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if they are within regs for you, but I still wear my Tan Desert Jungle Style Boots I got issued back in 98. Very light and comfortable. They look to be similar to those Altama boots, but I have not worn those before so I can't compare them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Good thing you don't have to wear them much.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 11:16:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I doubt you will be able to bring your own boots.  Get use to being issued shit for boots.

I rucked 4 miles the other day with the brand new Danner mountain boots from RIF, don't get your hopes up men.  They suck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good thing you don't have to wear them much.

very funny
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#5]
<––- big fan of Bellevilles, particularly the 310's.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't waste your money. Wear what you got and after AIT buy something that fits you better.  You can't take boots to BCT, you'll get the same ones issed to you there.

The boots issed these days are a hell of a lot better than what I got back in '98 which were all black leather and those sucked, suck it up buttercup
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
   There kinda uncomfortable. Plus I leave for Basic in Jan, so will I be able to bring my own boots??

Had to reread this.

Get the sand out of your mangina and learn to deal with it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I rucked 4 miles the other day with the brand new Danner mountain boots from RIF, don't get your hopes up men.  They suck.

As in the ones for the new multi-cam?  I was hoping what I had been told about them being comfortable was true since I'm gonna be wearing them for a year plus starting in ~Feb.  That's for crushing my hopes.

As for the OP, Altama Exospeed (one, not exospeed 2) are the best boots ever, but don't waste your money until after Basic, you might get away with wearing them at AIT but it's not going to happen at BCT.  I've been in about two years now and these are the only boots I've worn since the first day of AIT, wouldn't trade 'em for anything.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don't waste your money. Wear what you got and after AIT buy something that fits you better.  You can't take boots to BCT, you'll get the same ones issed to you there.

The boots issed these days are a hell of a lot better than what I got back in '98 which were all black leather and those sucked, suck it up buttercup

This.

How many "one weekend a month" do you have until you ship?  You'd be buying boots for about 2 weeks worth of wear, before you have to go to basic and get issued new boots.  Save your money.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

ah  the old deuce tread
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 12:27:29 AM EDT
[#11]
No, you can not bring your own boots. You haven't even gone to BCT yet, let alone MOSQ, you shouldn't even be thinking about after market boots.

One hurdle at a time, good luck at basic
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:20:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the recommendations.   Dont worry, I can suck it up for Basic and AIT, but being 35 and have a job where I stand all day, I like to have comfortable shoes. So even if its 1 weekend a month, I still want something decent
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:31:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Check out 5.11 and Danner. Expect to pay Between $120-180 depending on what you decide to go with. As you know, all boots will require a break-in period. My 5.11 and 1st Danners fit like a glove out of the box, my latest Danners took a week to get comfortable. Same goes with the issue boots, they'll take a while, but the 5.11 and Danners are still more comfortable.

Also, make sure to get some good hiking socks and liners. Expect to pay about $10 per pair of socks and $5 per liners. Gotta keep the moisture away from your feet. I just did a field exercise where a lot of people got blisters, and I usually do too, but I "invested" wisely and came through without even a hotspot.

As already said, don't bring your commercial boots to BCT. You'll have to wear the issued, so break in the ones you got and get used to them for the near term.

You'll be issued a lot of things prior to deployment. By all means buy what you want / need to make things easier for yourself (pouches, slings, holsters, cleaning supplies, flashlights, etc).
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 11:52:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I loved my blackhawk desert ops.  Those things were money.  I fell in shit water in Iraq and they cleaned right up.  They lasted me six months through the deployment and a year stateside before they finally wore out.  Those things were comfort city.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for the recommendations.   Dont worry, I can suck it up for Basic and AIT, but being 35 and have a job where I stand all day, I like to have comfortable shoes. So even if its 1 weekend a month, I still want something decent

When you get back, check out the Belleville DS 390. You very well may be issued a pair. Best pair of boots I've ever had, and they were given to me at RFI.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I joined the Army National Guard 2weeks ago and went to my 1st RSP drill last weekend. Got issued a ACU uniform with Altama 3LC Desert Mil spec boots.    There kinda uncomfortable. So my question is, what can I purchase that is comfortable and  still be in regulation. Plus I leave for Basic in Jan, so will I be able to bring my own boots??

Basic in January? Have fun!

You'll be wearing winter boots, don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Once you get done and can pick up a pair these are some of my favorites.  That said, they wear out pretty quick but have a 1 year guarantee.  

http://www.garmontusa.com/781035201.html
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#18]
they are uncomfortable because you havent broke them in. give them a couple good ruck marches and report back. always wear good boot socks, not white cotton or the issue green junk (save those for cleaning your weapon).

if they still suck, find a surplus store and buy some nice broken in well used boots and get them resoled, or go high speed if your unit allows it and buy the oakleys, blackhawks or nikes (if you can find them). usually as long as you dont have zippers on the side or tanker straps and are 8 inches you are ok.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#19]
belleville 390 des
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#20]
You'll have to wear what you are issued during basic.

I wear these:

Corcoran Men's Marauder Desert Combat Boot

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#21]
the muraders are no longer autherized i would just wait till you are done with AIT and the bellevilles are great
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

You won't be bringing your boots or uniform items to Basic.  Depending on where you go, you MAY be able to bring sneak your broken in issue boots in your personal bag, and then switch them for one of the new pairs you are issued, but if not you'll break them in pretty quick anyway.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#23]
my RSP uniform was NG shirt and workout clothing for PT, and clean no-holes, clothing for classroom/platoon instruction.
only guys wearing ACU's were me and the MOS-Q Gold Phase Soldiers there for final Drill/Battle Hand-off.. and we wore the APFT(grey ARMY shirt/Black Running shorts) uniform for PT.

no, you're just ahead of the game. CIF will issue all of your Uniform gear and you'll buy everything else,(here comes that cut outa your first paycheck) at the Shopette during your week or so while in-processing at your reception BN.
when you get to AIT, buy something comfortable. Issued boots suck. heavy. flutter kicks suck in issued boots.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#24]
If it's any comfort, when I joined the Guard as a prior-service retread, I was issued what looked like Desert Storm leftovers.  I left the first time during the black boot era, so wearing my old broken-in boots was out.  I bought myself two pairs of Bellevilles (tax write off as a professional expense) and left the issued boots in the box.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:44:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Those boots were the shit!  I miss my Cadillacs!  i boiled em up 4-5 times and rubbed in so much wax they were soft like moccasins on the entire boot!.  You set em on the ground and the tops would bend almost to the ground they were so soft.  damn they were comfy!
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
belleville 390 des

Still my favorite, better than the Oakleys, Bates, Altamas and Danners I've tried.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Break in what you got and get good insoles for them now.  I havent worn my issued altimas since I got out of OSUT, but I have tried out several different boots since then.  Really it comes down to personal preference.  I need boots with good ankle support because I can roll my ankles easily compared to most.  I also prefer a hard sole over a soft sole.  Soft soles are a lot like sneakers and tend to wear quicker.  Hard soles protect your feet better and they dont get as fatigued from feeling every rock/branch on the ground.  You'll have to find what works for you.  Some guys remove the toe and heel cups from their boots.  The heel cup stabilizes your ankle but if it is cutting your foot (no blistering but actually cuting) then I would remove it if I had no other boots availible.  Toe cups I only remove if they get fucked up and are pinching on my toes (will clause blisters. lifted.or lost nails....not fun )

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Once you get back from basic and AIT look around..there are tons of boots out there now and most companies will give you a military discount... Oakleys are not bad and you can get them through there US Standard issue site pretty cheap. Your feet are one of your most important things...believe me I have been in the Infantry for over 14yrs and on several deployemnts...take good care of your dogs.

I wear most Lowas..yes the are alot of money but they have awesome customer service and if you contact paula at Lowa with your military ID they will give you close to 60% off there boots, They are the beast boot I have ever worn. I like Meindls also
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I still use my all leathers for rucking, favorite boots I ever got.  For ACU my recommendation is stick with the bellville 390des, Im a repeat offender with them as well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Oakleys in the summer and for light treking.
Meindles for when it is a bit more serious and snow or ice on the ground.

95% of the time was Oakleys in the desert.  Never more than 10K worth of walking at a time.  Beware, they stretch.
Been meaning to try the lowas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top