Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2017 2:18:37 PM EDT
Seems like everyone around here suggests Toyota's, but I'm curious to see what everyone suggests this go around.

Got $20,000 to spend.  One brother has a 2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 and the other has a 2012 Ford F-150, both have crew cabs. I like both of these trucks a lot and I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck.

I don't tow anything and I don't think I will other than a trailer every once in a while. Looking for low miles, something to use in the winter and to haul stuff for the house/vacations/etc.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Toyota's and Nissian's have the best warranty, something to think about.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#2]
If you don't need to tow = Tacoma.

If you need to tow = Tundra.

You're welcome.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#3]
You can get a brand new 4 door 4WD SV trim Nissan Frontier for about 27K.

If you're anywhere on the West side the Nissan dealer in Muskegon also gives a lifetime powertrain warranty on new trucks.

Just sayin....
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:39:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Arfcom is eaten up with Toyota trucks.  Kind of like the bodies of said trucks are eaten up with rust.    

There is a reason the F-150 has been the best selling truck for 7 gazillion years now.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, were you the one who's blue car got hit?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:47:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can get a brand new 4 door 4WD SV trim Nissan Frontier for about 27K.

If you're anywhere on the West side the Nissan dealer in Muskegon also gives a lifetime powertrain warranty on new trucks.

Just sayin....
View Quote
It's like stepping back to 2002!  15mpg two seat truck (because no one with legs can ride in the back of the crew cab) FTW!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Arfcom is eaten up with Toyota trucks.  Kind of like the bodies of said trucks are eaten up with rust.    

There is a reason the F-150 has been the best selling truck for 7 gazillion years now.
View Quote
This is what I'm leaning towards.

I'm finding used 2012 trucks with ecoboost, crew cabs and about 60-70k miles for $20,000
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
My last three trucks have been fords.  All 3 of them have had major repairs needed before 100k miles.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's like stepping back to 2002!  15mpg two seat truck (because no one with legs can ride in the back of the crew cab) FTW!
View Quote
Actually, I average 19. I also don't need a truck that is a couch and media center like every other truck on the road....
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't buy a Ford with the 3 valve 5.4, don't buy a first generation EcoBoost, and don't buy anything with any flavor of cylinder deactivation (most GMs and Rams).

That should thin out options a lot.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ford tuff!!!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:09:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Actually, I average 19. I also don't need a truck that is a couch and media center like every other truck on the road....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had one for a rental for about 3 months.  Just me driving it was fine, actually pretty fun, but no one can ride in the back.  Had to fill it up every other day, averages 15 mpg with a small gas tank, it was 4x4 so I'm sure that killed it too.  

And it was like stepping back In time, the latest engine technology/interior from 2002.  

More power to ya if you like it, it doesn't bother me

Op, if you like the Chevrolet and ford, just shop till you find one that's a good deal.  You doubled your chances going with two big brands
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#13]
In before the toyota fans ....oh wait. go with the Ford
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#14]
You can practically get a new F150 for $20k
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you don't need to tow = Tacoma. Still has drum brakes

If you need to tow = Tundra. Was outdated in 2007 and overpriced

You're welcome.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I prefer Chevy or GMC with the 5.3 engine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top