Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2008 2:18:29 PM EDT
electronic muffs are they worth it? Should I go with both foam plugs and muffs for maximum protection?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have a couple of sets of Peltor's and really like them.  I have the 6S and 7S style, electronic.

It is nice to be able to hear range commands and have a conversation while not shooting but still have maximum hearinf protection during live fire.

Ear plugs inside of the muffs is never a bad idea.  If I am shooting some large caliber guns or am on a crowded range I will often double up,

+1

And the 7S is worth the extra money over the 6S if you have it, but either will do.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#3]
how about the radian Maximus it offers 29db reduction compared to the 24dp from the peltor 7S
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I have yet to shoot a firearm that hurt my ears with the cheap little pinch-puff Walmart plugs in.  
I hate wearing muffs when I shoot rifles.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a pair of 28db reduction ear muffs. Never had a problem with sound, even at super crowded ranges.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Howard Leight makes some electronic muffs for around $60.  Haven't tried them, but they will be my next purchase.

Whatever muffs you get, use the foam plugs, too.  Indoor ranges are a lot louder than outdoor ranges.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I primarly use sound supression products from Yankee Hill Machine.

After that I use the foam type ear-plugs.  I buy one of those dispenser type packages with 500 or 1000 in it from the local safety store.  If I am shooting anything fairly large, or, if I am at a public range or indoor facilty, I use the foam things in my ears and some general safety muffs on top of that.  I still have better than average hearing and I don't want to risk loosing it like most of my friends and their fathers.  Once it is gone, it is gone.

So, in ARFcom fashion, get both..

~Dan
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Worlds best - I am not kidding.  I wear these all the time.

http://www.earplugsonline.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top