Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/26/2011 6:07:19 PM EDT
Budget is around $150-$200
Prefer a straight cutting shaft
Easy start

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Spend more and get a Stihl, thats my advice for you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

First post gets it... Stihl or nothing.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Stihl or Tanaka  it's worth the extra $

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup yup yup
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

First post is psychic!
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

At one time I would have recommended a Stihl FS55R. I have had one for a couple of years now, the first year it was great, until the last weekend I needed it, and it wouldn't start. I didn't think to much of it, I drained the fuel, and got it ready for winter storage.

This Spring I took it out, filled it up, cleaned the spark plug, all of that, and it still wouldn't start. I didn't feel like tinkering with it (after all, you buy a Stihl because you want it to work with minimal fuss), and it cost $70 bucks to get it running, the carb needed rebuilt, the diaphragm was gone, dealer says it was probably ethanol in the fuel, sounds plausible. I have been using "True Fuel" which is premixed, ethanol fuel they sell at power equipment places for $4 a quart, we will see how it works out.

My only concern with it being ethanol, is that my Stihl Saws have been running on the exact same gas as the trimmer for longer, and I haven't had the first problem with them, haven't had to change so much as a spark plug in four years. They still start as easily as when new, always on the third pull.

Itsn't there an additive that helps out with the problems caused by ethanol in small engines?

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#8]
echo, 20 years plus, still strong, i run amsoil 2 stroke racing fuel
, 50:1 thru everything, stihl is good too.....
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Stihl.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#12]

ROFL.....What's the mix on that, 35:1?

I think I'm going to hit up my local Pawn shop for some poor Landscaper dumping a unit for rent. I'll take a look at the Stihl and Echos, thanks...
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got an Echo (pro series unit) trimmer last winter and it's super nice. Starts up with only 1-2 pulls and runs STRONG!
It was a huge step up from the POS Homelite that I had for the past 10 years (dog shit on a string was a step up
from the Homelite)

I also have had an Echo blower for about 12 months and it's been fantastic as well, and was part of the reason I got the
Echo trimmer over the Stihl. The dealer I got it from sold both Echo's and Stihls... and said when it came to trimmer and
blowers, the Echos were every bit as good as the Stihls. Chainsaws.... not so much.

-ZA
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I really like my Craftsman, straight shaft, and the one without the "bump & go" fish line.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#15]
ECHO 210
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Echo, sthil, husky, redmax, or shindiwah, so long as you go with a commercial or pro model then it will last you as long as you need. I just happen to prefer sthil
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 3:41:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a Stihl FS 110 that I bought new last year. Starts on first pull, has un-believable power and torque. Sounds like a Harley Davidson when at idle. All the men in the neighborhood stop what their doing and look when I fire that big boy up. It replaced an FS44 that I bought in 1993. Absolutely no comparison!
Save your money and do it right the first time, get a Stihl!
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 3:44:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 3:44:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a Shindaiwa.  It is excellent and changing the string is so simple and fast.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 3:53:35 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a husqavarna, straight shaft.

I bought it 4 or 5 years ago, our last house was on an acre and I needed something that would do the job quickly.

Nary a problem. Usually starts on the first pull, sometimes after 2-3.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 4:11:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Stihl Chainsaw and trimmer here...  no regrets.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 4:29:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I've got an Echo. It worked fine until the Ethanol in the gas ate the carb. Replaced the carb and switched to non-ethanol gas ... problem solved.

Whichever gas trimmer you get, DO NOT USE GAS WITH ETHANOL!!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 4:37:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Echo srm-225.  You will not regret it.  I have had mine for 2 years and I love it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:15:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Echo srm-225.  You will not regret it.  I have had mine for 2 years and I love it.

THIS!
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:22:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Budget is around $150-$200
Prefer a straight cutting shaft
Easy start

If you think your grass may continue to grow, spend the additional money to get a Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, or Shindaiwa.  Only rich people can afford cheap tools.

Jane
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:23:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Echo straight shaft
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:29:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS!

This+1 more!

Love mine.
If you want a weed wacker Echo
Chainsaw Husky or Stihll
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:30:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Husqvarna 223l.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:31:26 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yup yup yup

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:33:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Sthil or Echo for the win
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:45:28 AM EDT
[#31]

We just bought an acreage and will be moving there in about 2 months.

I looked up how much the FS110 was here.

$819

I hate you all.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:52:17 AM EDT
[#32]
My Stihl is an awesome machine.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:53:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

$819

I hate you all.

That's the model I have.  I didn't pay anywhere near that for it.  Maybe $300?  $350?  Don't quite remember.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:56:14 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I've got an Echo. It worked fine until the Ethanol in the gas ate the carb. Replaced the carb and switched to non-ethanol gas ... problem solved.

Where do you get gas without ethanol?

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:09:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:19:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Boat marinas usually have it.  You can also try adding sta-bil with ethanol treatment.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:22:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

ROFL.....What's the mix on that, 35:1?

I think I'm going to hit up my local Pawn shop for some poor Landscaper dumping a unit for rent. I'll take a look at the Stihl and Echos, thanks...

Careful here.  This time of year if a trimmer is in hock, its a POS.

Id buy a FS55 (cheap Stihl) before Id give much over $25 for a pawnshop special.

It only takes about 5 mins with no premix oil in the fuel to ruin a trimmer or saw.  Keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:23:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have a Stihl FS 110 that I bought new last year. Starts on first pull, has un-believable power and torque. Sounds like a Harley Davidson when at idle. All the men in the neighborhood stop what their doing and look when I fire that big boy up. It replaced an FS44 that I bought in 1993. Absolutely no comparison!

Your poor neighborhood needs someone to move in with a V8 or Harley.

Sad damn day when a weedwacker gets the 'men' in the neighborhood all excited.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:24:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:25:01 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

$819

I hate you all.

That's the model I have.  I didn't pay anywhere near that for it.  Maybe $300?  $350?  Don't quite remember.

Note his location.

Ah.  Can you get it shipped for under $400?  

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:26:33 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boat marinas usually have it.  You can also try adding sta-bil with ethanol treatment.

I just checked Stihl's website, and they say all their machines are designed to run fine with 10% ethanol.  Maybe an older machine might not be as durable?

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:28:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Stihl trimmers or bust.

My dad has had his for years after his other one got stolen.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:39:07 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Quoted:

You ever see a weedwacker than can cut down an 8" tree?  My FS110 can.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:42:34 AM EDT
[#44]
I've been using a Shindaiwa T242 for 5 years now with no problems at all.  It has been a rock solid performer and is easy to use.  It is above your price range though...

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:42:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
ECHO 210

This, Id go with an srm-210
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:45:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive owned one.  They are real nice trimmers, no doubt, didnt mean that.

I also owned a FS85X, and a few others.

My point was its a damn shame that a community of 'men' cant find anything better than a trimmer to 'perk up and look at' in their neighborhood.  Seems to me lol
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:30:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive owned one.  They are real nice trimmers, no doubt, didnt mean that.

I also owned a FS85X, and a few others.

My point was its a damn shame that a community of 'men' cant find anything better than a trimmer to 'perk up and look at' in their neighborhood.  Seems to me lol

as I have to crank on my pos walmart special all freaking day I notice my neighbor likes to come out and crank up his four stroke sthl and let it idle in the driveway
not because he needs to use it because he was done two hours ago yep I caught the ghey watching him and that stihl

nah the only thing we have that gets the men excited is the super hot wife down the street likes to wash all the vehicles in her tiny bikini right out by the road lol  
she knows exactly what the hell she is doing  
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:32:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quit being such a wuss get on your hands and needs and pull those weeds with your bare hands like a real man
and if you wear gloves youre a bitch!!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#49]
12 years of commercial mowing here.

I had an Echo for about 9 of those years and it was fine.

Got a Stihl 3 years ago, had trouble out of it, had to have the carb replaced. Ethanol and not using their brand of oil was supposedly the cause.
It runs fine now and I don't use ethanol fuel in any of my equipment anymore, but it's still a finicky little bastard. Doesn't like the cold at all.

Been using a Shindaiwa this year. That thing is great.

One thing that you should consider is to get the biggest head you can find. My echo only held about 18' of string, the Sthil 24' and the Shindaiwa holds 30'+

Also, sthil and shindaiwa have much better design for quick re-spooling than Echo.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:37:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Echo industrial (The grey models)

I've tried others. Echo IMO is the best.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top