Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2014 8:46:58 PM EDT
What's a good read?
Adventure, action, dirty details, blah, blah.......
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army, by Jeremy Scahill

It's kind of a dense read, very interesting and informative though
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Erik Prince wrote a book, too. I gave a copy to my dad, and he seems to have liked it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Licensed to Kill - Robert Young Pelton
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 9:43:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Whoa
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good read.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army, by Jeremy Scahill

View Quote

Absolute liberal hit piece garbage written by a guy scared of BW.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT. Fuck that guy right in the neck. Don't give him any more money. I don't know about the Pelton book.

But generally, calling the BW and other PMC guys "mercenaries" is just stupid left-wing propaganda. If you're looking for a book on mercenaries and it's focused on guys doing protective operations in Iraq or Afghanistan you're looking at a book written by a guy with an agenda.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Licensed to Kill. It follows actual mercs from companies like Triple Canopy and Blackwater during the IRaqi campaign, and also details several previous contracts in other countries.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

QFT. Fuck that guy right in the neck. Don't give him any more money. I don't know about the Pelton book.

But generally, calling the BW and other PMC guys "mercenaries" is just stupid left-wing propaganda. If you're looking for a book on mercenaries and it's focused on guys doing protective operations in Iraq or Afghanistan you're looking at a book written by a guy with an agenda.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade.  It should be noted that in some languages, the word for mercenary and contractor are the same.  Condottieri, for example.  I agree with regard to who is most likely to use the term in that context you cite (although it is hardly exclusive to them), but it doesn't change what they are.  It's not like mercenaries are an inherently bad thing, which is why I find the use of the term as a pejorative rather silly.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 10:51:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Woken Furies by Richard Morgan
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 10:52:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Anything good about Executive Outcomes?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top