Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2004 7:51:12 AM EDT
I won't get into the embarrassing details, suffice to say I was arrested/convicted of obstructing official business and menacing. Both are 2nd degree misdemeanors, for which I received 1 year of probation. After the arrest the police seized several rifles and assorted ammunition from my home. The receipt lists the items being held as "confiscated/evidence/safekeeping". The weapons were never a factor in the arrest, though a threat was made (hence the menacing charge). Does anyone here know the procedure I would follow to reclaim my property? As I am prohibited from owning a firearm while under probation, can I authorize the release of my property to a family member, or at least have the police retain custody until my probation is disposed of? Any information would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:58:05 AM EDT
[#1]
GET CRACKING! There's almost certainly a limited time to recover them, if you can do so at all. Be careful that you don't violate your probation by taking possession of the. Need I say "get a lawyer?"
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, not that anyone seems to care, but...

The police can come into your house - because you make a comment them they deem "threatening" - and take (without a warrant) every single rifle, pistol, bullet, ammo can, accessory, and GUN-RELATED MAGAZINE on _your_ property, and keep it, forever. Period. I know this, because it happened to me. And evidently there's nothing I can do about it. Cheers.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:54:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I won't get into the embarrassing details, suffice to say I was arrested/convicted of obstructing official business and menacing. Both are 2nd degree misdemeanors, for which I received 1 year of probation. After the arrest the police seized several rifles and assorted ammunition from my home. The receipt lists the items being held as "confiscated/evidence/safekeeping". The weapons were never a factor in the arrest, though a threat was made (hence the menacing charge). Does anyone here know the procedure I would follow to reclaim my property? As I am prohibited from owning a firearm while under probation, can I authorize the release of my property to a family member, or at least have the police retain custody until my probation is disposed of? Any information would be appreciated.

In Dallas you would need to wait untill probation was done with,then add a year or two too that.Thats if they are not stolen from the property room. In a city as big as Dallas you would think gun,drugs,and money would not come up messing.By the way what did you say?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Ancient Chinese proverb: "He who asks legal advice on internet, gets what he deserves."

Talk to a real lawyer.  He will know the real answers.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:19:34 PM EDT
[#5]
get a lawyer, at least get an accounting of their locations.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top