Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2016 9:39:57 PM EDT
Which hand sized ones are worth the money?  (purpose: to charge a cell phone and GoPro batteries)

Here is an example:

http://amzn.to/29dZQPL

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Also interested.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#2]
It probably has only 3000mAh in capacity, of which you'll only be able to use perhaps 50%.  Those things are always overrated.

Get a 14w-20w USB solar charger and a decent power bank that allows you to replace the cells, like the Tomo V8.

You'll spend a bit more, but you'll have better shit.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:44:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Also tag.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Tagging to see if they've got better since the last time I  researched them. Then the recommendation was to buy a quality seperate solar panel and battery because they all sucked at charging from the on board panel
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:45:35 PM EDT
[#5]
2.2 watt charge - pass.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tagging to see if they've got better since the last time I  researched them. Then the recommendation was to buy a quality seperate solar panel and battery because they all sucked at charging from the on board panel
View Quote

That's the way to go.  Bring the panel with you, which can actually output 2.0A, get a good power bank that allows you to run high quality, high capacity cells and outputs at 2.0A and you're set.

We're up to 3500mAh per 18650 * four = 14,000mAh / 2 gives you ~7000mAh in USEABLE capacity, maybe a bit more, depending on the output circuit on the power bank.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#7]
The solar charge function on these battery banks all suck.

Didn't stop me from springing for a battery bank with a solar option though.

I just bought one with sufficient initial capacity to do what I needed it to do & paid the extra couple bucks for the solar version just cause.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's the way to go.  Bring the panel with you, which can actually output 2.0A, get a good power bank that allows you to run high quality, high capacity cells and outputs at 2.0A and you're set.

We're up to 3500mAh per 18650 * four = 14,000mAh / 2 gives you ~7000mAh in USEABLE capacity, maybe a bit more, depending on the output circuit on the power bank.

Chris
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

Can you put that into English and then give me a link to purchase?
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#9]
What would be a decent one to hang off of a backpack to charge 2 to 4 AA's?
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It probably has only 3000mAh in capacity, of which you'll only be able to use perhaps 50%.  Those things are always overrated.

Get a 14w-20w USB solar charger and a decent power bank that allows you to replace the cells, like the Tomo V8.

You'll spend a bit more, but you'll have better shit.

Chris
View Quote

Was hoping you would show up in here!

When you get time could you post some links to some panels and battery's on Amazon? Basically build me a setup lol. Or even just throw out some brand names to look at. We have talked about this before in SF but it became to way to complex for me. I only understand half the techie stuff I'm reading/looking at

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

He probably means something like THIS, which I have, and works great.  It also has two USB-out ports built in.

That folding panel kept up a 9ah SLA battery and ran a ham radio station for three days out of Dry Tortugas.

The challenge for backpacking is that the panel, even folded, takes up a lot of real estate.  My DT trip was car, to boat, to campsite and stay in place lol.

But otherwise the panel plugs into something that looks like a wall charger and in there are AA-Like rechargeable cells.  That 'wall charger' then has USB-out ports, up to 2A apparently.

I thought perhaps that the one I linked to in the op, which essentially has TWO solar panels, might be viable lol.

DryTortugas-8584 by Dan Passaro, on Flickr

GoBoxControlPanelSolar-7898 by Dan Passaro, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:58:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

Hahahahahaha. +1 PLEASE!!!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:59:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought this one back in January when I saw it on a lightning deal from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UNV8SRS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I knew I was not going to be able to leave this out in the sun all day and have it charge fully (or even much at all.)  I did like the capacity and the form factor.  I can put it in my back pocket and run the charge cable to my phone on my belt.  Most of the other battery packs I see are not as flat so won't be as comfortable in a back pocket.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:04:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

I have a couple of power banks, one with replaceable li-ion cells and one with tac welded ones.

This is one I'd like to get just to fiddle with and because they get good marks over on CandlePowerForums.

Tomo V8-4 (4 18650s.)

Tomo V8-4 power bank

You will need four unprotected 18650s, so these would be fine:

Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh li-ion cells

And then something like this for a solar panel:

Sunkingdom 5v USB 16w solar charger...

There are other options, but you'd be well served in a pinch with kit like that.

Chris

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:10:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Goal Zero Venture 30 Solar Recharging Kit

Or this.

http://suntactics.com/shop/scharger-5-portable-usb-solar-charger/
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I just bought one with sufficient initial capacity to do what I needed it to do & paid the extra couple bucks for the solar version just cause.
View Quote

This. The one I have charges an iPhone to full charge in a respectable time. As for solar recharging it, I've had it go days before I finally said fuck it and plugged it into the USB wall charger. Mine is a Levin YD-T011
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This. The one I have charges an iPhone to full charge in a respectable time. As for solar recharging it, I've had it go days before I finally said fuck it and plugged it into the USB wall charger. Mine is a Levin YD-T011
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. Amazon has that at 1 star. For $30, what did you expect?
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:02:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought the Zero Lemon battery bank off of Amazon for $40.  There's really no point in spending more since there is no pocket sized battery bank on the market with a solar charger worth anything.

I think mine would require 120 hours of sunlight to fully charge it which is just unrealistic.  But, once charged via the USB cable it holds enough power to charge my iphone 10 times which is more than enough for my needs.

At the end of the day, having a solar option was only a few dollars more than a non solar option so I figured what the heck.

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I have one from Brunton. I leave it on my dash board to charge, and it's worked great for the 6 years I've had it....

... though to be fair, I haven't used it since I bought a Droid Turbo. Battery is too good on that thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top