Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2014 6:03:46 AM EDT
I was lookin at tax records trying to determine were a deceased relative's property was located In MT.  I noticed several of the surrounding properties are owned by two folks out of state and the properties were obtained by conversion. How does real estate conversion work?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:22:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Real property cannot be converted.  Do you mean conveyance?

Would you please give more details as to what you actually mean?  I don't mean to be disrespectful at all.  I just don't understand the question.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:32:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Real property cannot be converted.  Do you mean conveyance?

Would you please give more details as to what you actually mean?  I don't mean to be disrespectful at all.  I just don't understand the question.
View Quote

Sure. The MT GIS website provides ownership information if you click on a location.  For Interest type on several of the properties it says "Conversion".  What does that mean?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:41:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Equitable conversion maybe? Not sure why they'd make that explicit in the ownership records.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Equitable conversion maybe? Not sure why they'd make that explicit in the ownership records.
View Quote

Must be something peculiar to Montana.  As Zcwilkins explained in his link, conversion is a matter of personal property and not real property.  Why it would be recorded with title is puzzling, unless the conversion has become a cloud on title in the form of a lien.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top