Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 10:39:43 AM EDT
I'm looking hard at picking up an Ipad (Gen 1).  Just curious how good it is to read ebooks on.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#1]
As I understand it there is more eyestrain due to the backlight.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:49:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Kindle would be better for ebooks, but I guess you have other uses that require the ipad
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Damn.  I heard that as well.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Kindle would be better for ebooks, but I guess you have other uses that require the ipad

Yeah, sort of.

Can .pdfs be converted to the Kindle format and be loaded into it?  I have a ton of .pdf ebooks and would rather not have to buy them all over.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#5]
It is the same as reading something on your computer.  It will cause eyestrain.

An e-ink device, such as a Nook, Kindle or other e-readers, are like reading on paper.  Yes, you need an additional light for night reading, but there isn't the same issue with eyestrain as with a backlit monitor.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, sort of.

Can .pdfs be converted to the Kindle format and be loaded into it?  I have a ton of .pdf ebooks and would rather not have to buy them all over.

I'm not sure about the Kindle, but my Nook will handle pdf files.  I suspect a Kindle would, too.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:55:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

An e-ink device, such as a Nook, Kindle or other e-readers, are like reading on paper.  Yes, you need an additional light for night reading, but there isn't the same issue with eyestrain as with a backlit monitor.

Gotcha.  Thanks.

I think a rooted Nook Color might be my best bet.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I own an iPad and have read 7-8 books on it. I think a Kindle is better for outdoor reading but indoors the difference is negligible IMO.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gotcha.  Thanks.

I think a rooted Nook Color might be my best bet.

The Nook color is not an e-ink device.  It's just another tablet computer with a normal LCD display.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, sort of.

There is a free (open-source) tool called Calibre that will let you convert to and from most e-book formats, including PDF.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

The iPad is OK for casually reading most e-books, but not nearly as comfortable as the Kindle if you're a big reader.  The iPad is heavier and just not shaped all that well for one-handed use.  

That being said, if you're looking for something to read books, goof around on the internet, watch videos, and play goofy games, go for the iPad.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:00:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I own a kindle, love it to death.

the DX models to PDFs natively, the smaller size ones support with conversion. theres a process involving sending the file as an email attachment that gets automatically converted and sent wirelessly to your kindle.

used it for a couple FMs, but i never bothered to check them out afterwards, so i cant speak to the quality of it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I have an ipad and read ebooks all the time. I use the black background with white text. You can also use sepia. I like the black/white setting especially at night because I don't need a book light or anything to read by. You can make it as bight (or not) as you want. You can set it to change easily by going into settings/accessibility/ triple-click Home and set it to White/Black.  When you want to change back and forth it makes it easy. You should go by an Apple store and check it out before making a decision.

I didn't want to have to buy multiple devices. I'm happy with my decision. Hope I helped.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Ipad works better for PDFs than kindles or nooks...not because it does something special, but because it is closer to the native size of PDFs (or however you want to describe it).

And the backlit eyestrain thing is overstated (at least for me and I use a freaking I-Touch to read books with), especially if you use white on black.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#14]
The iPad is fine for one handed use. It's also fine for reading books.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Neither my computer nor my iPad causes me eyestrain.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Neither my computer nor my iPad cause me eyestrain.

I read on my backlit DSi. No eyestrain that i am aware of.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Dial the backlight down for book reading.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Mrs. Monkey_Wrench loves it. She has sworn off books and reads on that thing a lot.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#19]
It's fine. Not as good as a Kindle, but not bad at all.

The Kindle is dedicated for reading, and it does so spectacularly. If that's all you're going to do, get the Kindle. If you want something that can be used as a reader, and for like 10,000 other things, get the iPad.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:30:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha.  Thanks.

I think a rooted Nook Color might be my best bet

This is what I plan on doing.

The potential eyestrain is a concern, but I just can't get excited about the Kindle.  It's just not polished enough as a device, and it's too heavy with the DRM, doesn't support EPUB, etc.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, sort of.

There is a free (open-source) tool called Calibre that will let you convert to and from most e-book formats, including PDF.

The iPad is OK for casually reading most e-books, but not nearly as comfortable as the Kindle if you're a big reader.  The iPad is heavier and just not shaped all that well for one-handed use.  

That being said, if you're looking for something to read books, goof around on the internet, watch videos, and play goofy games, go for the iPad.

The iPad2 is flat and thin and a bit lighter.  Also there is a .pdf capability in it, I just have had mine but 3 days so I can't tell you how that works.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the replies.  Guess I will have to test out the devices to see what I like best.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:53:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, sort of.

The iPad2 is flat and thin and a bit lighter.  Also there is a .pdf capability in it, I just have had mine but 3 days so I can't tell you how that works.

I have a PDF Pro (?) app in mine, and allows me to transfer PDFs via WiFi onto my iPad.

(iPad1)

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I dont have a problem with my ipad. Just turn down the backlight if you need too. I have a Docs to Go app that allows opening, creating and editing of Word, Excel and PDF's. Plus another app to sign docs and send them email or fax.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Eyestrain.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a Nook, and I've done some reading on the iPad.

I'll take the iPad. Just ordered mine, in fact.

Infinitely easier to change pages, zoom in, change font sizes, etc.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#27]
My old ass iPod Touch can read PDFs so I would imagine you can read them on an iPad too.  I have found the glare to be more of an issue than eyestrain though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Personally, I don't mind backlighting. It's only a pain in bright sun.

The flip side is if you read a Kindle in bed, you need external light.

Also, any books available on Amazon can be gotten using the free iPad Kindle app, as well as books on Apple's store, etc.

The iPad is color, and their book versions seem to incorporate graphics better.

If I wasn't given a Kindle as a gift, I'd choose an iPad because it's a darn good reader... and SO much more.

Of course you pay more for the iPad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top