Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2005 3:46:57 PM EDT
I have a friend that was given this shotgun and he wants more information about it.  What year, value etc,.

Thanks very much.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:11:08 AM EDT
[#1]
No takers?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:49:45 AM EDT
[#2]
The "Ranger" name is almost always a Sears sold shotgun. Sears itself never made guns, they just got them from other makers and put their name and numbers on them. It could have been made by Marlin, Winchester, H&R, etc., etc. If you have a Gun Parts catalog, they used to have a table with all the Sears sold guns and their model numbers that told who actually made them.

As for year, does the gun have a serial number? If it was made before 1968 (GCA of 1968) it may not have one. This is perfectly legal as most lesser price guns did not have serial numbers as they were not mandated by law until the GCA of 1968. Only the serial number will give the exact year, if the records still exist.

Depending on exactly how old, condition and chamber length this gun may or may not be safe to fire. Have it checked out by a competent gunsmith first.

I seriously doubt it has much if any collector value, but that could change depending on exactly who manufactured it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#3]
My ex father in law collects "farm guns", and the sxs are generally hard to come by.  Around here, most farm auctions will have Sears and Coast to Coast marketed shotguns and .22s along with the usual Winchesters, Remingtons, etc.  They are usually old and well worn, but IMO are worth having just for the workmanship and history.

Sounds like a nice keepsake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top