Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2015 10:18:44 PM EDT
I've filled up with regular and haven't noticed anything, the manual says 87 is okay but 89 octane is preferred. Am I going to blow up my new truck?

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:25:07 PM EDT
[#1]
No, the computer will "listen" for engine knock and retard special education the timing, resulting in less power and lower gas mileage.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:26:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No, the computer will "listen" for engine knock and retard special education the timing, resulting in less power and lower gas mileage.
View Quote

Sounds like I should be using midgrade
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might as well use 87. Who knows how long the other stuff has been sitting in their tank.  I've always assumed it has degraded and possibly soaked up extra moisture.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

First post fucking nailed it!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe I should see if premium helps mileage. I've been averaging 19-20mpg with restraint on this tank
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:37:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I always use 93 and add sta-bil, my trk sits for 5-6 weeks at a time without starting, have had no issues.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Particularly in hot weather.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#8]
In before 'the manual says I should run 87 but I get more power and better mileage with 93.'
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:57:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Maybe I should see if premium helps mileage. I've been averaging 19-20mpg with restraint on this tank
View Quote

It wont. If the engine is not designed for premium it can not take advantage of its properties
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've filled up with regular and haven't noticed anything, the manual says 87 is okay but 89 octane is preferred. Am I going to blow up my new truck?  
View Quote

So you spend multiple thousands on a new truck.....but you can't afford to spend a few cents more per gallon to run the correct fuel that the manual calls for?

Run what the manual says.  Yes, the computer will retard the timing a little if he hears knock, but it can only pull so much timing out.  And you are going to get less mpg and less power.  I believe the manual says run at least 89 octane...no less.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#11]
2014 Ram 1500 here and running cheap ass 87 all day.  Avg MPG is 15 and cant tell a fuking lick of difference between that and mid grade.  It's a fucking dodge it'll eat shit all day.  As to the retarded knock'n, google Hemi Tick.  These bitches knock from the factory
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
So you spend multiple thousands on a new truck.....but you can't afford to spend a few cents more per gallon to run the correct fuel that the manual calls for?

Run what the manual says.  Yes, the computer will retard the timing a little if he hears knock, but it can only pull so much timing out.  And you are going to get less mpg and less power.  I believe the manual says run at least 89 octane...no less.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't imply that it has to have one over the other. I'm not walking down to the truck to find it and take a picture right now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Driven hemi dodges for the last 9-ish years. Never anything but the lowest octane, cheapest petroleum based swill I can find. Never any problems.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In before 'the manual says I should run 87 but I get more power and better mileage with 93.'
View Quote

That or "nothing but the best for my baby."
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It doesn't imply that it has to have one over the other. I'm not walking down to the truck to find it and take a picture right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's perfectly fine to run it. Modern ECM/PCMs and their associated sensors do a damn fine job. Just less power/mileage, though at only midgrade, it might not make much difference at all. Even turbo cars these days can run 87 just fine (caveat: on stock tune and turbo) without trouble, even here in the hot ass desert.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:11:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I love threads like this. 87 actually has the most "power". 93 is the least sensitive, so it can withstand higher compression before detonation. Use what the manufacturer says. Putting higher innwont help if it wasn't designed for it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#17]
i've got the charger hemi, mid-grade all day... company pays tho

in awd i average 12mpg combined
in rwd only i average 17 combined

on the highway in rwd at 55/60 i can average 34mpg depending on the terrain, at 75 i average about 25
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:13:12 PM EDT
[#18]
2014 Ram owner and I never have paid any attention. I just buy gas when the gage tells me I'm low.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#19]
87 193K miles, runs like a champ
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Nevermind
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:33:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
I have a buddy who used to run 103 race gas in his stock 88 Civic cause he thought higher octane = more power.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:39:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I used to use 89 until I reprogramed my chip for high performance requiring 91 or better. Never had any engine issues either way.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:50:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Here in the high country mid-grade is 87 and low grade is 85 Octane.   My Hemi(s) run fine on 85 or 87 Octane.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:04:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Driven hemi dodges for the last 9-ish years. Never anything but the lowest octane, cheapest petroleum based swill I can find. Never any problems.
View Quote

Me too
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:09:09 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a 2013 Hemi 5.7 Ram 1500 with 392 gears in the ass end.  I drive the shit out of that truck and average 15-16 on ethanol gas.  If I run real gas I get a little better mpg.
My wife gets around 18-19 mpg but she drives like a freaking girl
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top