Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2005 12:54:16 PM EDT
There have been several discussions about trunk guns, and after the shooting in Tyler, TX I'm convinced that keeping a rifle in the trunk is worth while.

What about using a rack grade garand from the CMP? I'm thinking cheap, reliable and plenty of firepower. Are these things in that horrible shape? I'm not talking about a museum piece, I'm talking about having a good shooter that'll send a badguy to a warmer climate.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Just look it over and shoot it first. I hear of people getting some real diamonds that just look worn out from the "Rack Grade". It's not like they're all that expensive to gupgrade to a Srveice Grade anyway.  Just remember how large this weapon is first.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#2]
too bulky, only holds 8 rounds......

I'd rather have a shotgun.

remember, it's for self-defense, not battle.

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I would love to get one, maybe some day.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not an Ar-15? Something moderately priced like a DPMS  or Olympic Arms
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm leaning towards an SKS.

Cheap, light weight, accurate for short distance use,
and if it get's stolen no big loss.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why not an Ar-15? Something moderately priced like a DPMS  or Olympic Arms

I have considered building up one of the Cavalry Arms lowers into a trunk gun...
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That's where I'm coming down too.   I don't own an AR that I wouldn't mind losing to a thief, but my SKS is replaceable anytime.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's where I'm coming down too.   I don't own an AR that I wouldn't mind losing to a thief, but my SKS is replaceable anytime.

thinking SKS or shotgun
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I hate to see a Garand used as a truck/trunk gun but the lower end ones are priced right and have plenty of power and are reliable. I also think that if you do end up using it the police would be easier on someone who had a Garand as opposed to an AK or even an AR.
Just my opinion.....
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#10]
IMO you should be able to shoot your trunk gun with one hand and drive with the other if needed.  Making the Garand a little long & heavy.  a really big guy driving a really big car might be able to make it work.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Using a 3 foot RIFLE as a trunk gun?

If you're going to be using a LOOOOOOOOONG gun for a trunk gun, make it a shotgun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

very good choice the amount of abuse those weapons can handle is fucking amazing, anyone remember the pics of me pouring gatorade and water/ mud in the action of my yugo?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
too bulky, only holds 8 rounds......

I'd rather have a shotgun.

remember, it's for self-defense, not battle.

If you have the ability to stop, get out of your car, open your trunk and engage a threat..Is it really self defense? Or can you just keep driving AWAY from the threat...

I know, I know...It is just something you would have to answer on the witness stand when the perps family sues you or the DA wants to hold you accountable for something someone else couldn't contain.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#14]
How about a nice riot gun or a Russian M44?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

very good choice the amount of abuse those weapons can handle is fucking amazing, anyone remember the pics of me pouring gatorade and water/ mud in the action of my yugo?

1911greg: Can you post them or link to them? I never got to see them.

It's amazing how much abuse some of these old guns can take! One reason out of the many that I love 'em!
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Why would anyone want to use an irreplaceable piece of history as a "beater" trunk gun?

There are plenty of other rifles out there that are lighter, more compact, cheaper, just as reliable, and weren't carried by American soldiers during the greatest war of the past century.

My personal favorite trunk gun is the Saiga "Sporter". It's Russian-made AK variant that costs under $170 brand-new. Reliable, light as a feather, compact, has a rust-resistant finish and chrome-lined barrel, and shoots the potent 7.62 x 39 AK round. The conventional stock and low-cap magazine give it an inoffensive, PC look.

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I hate to see a Garand used as a truck/trunk gun but the lower end ones are priced right and have plenty of power and are reliable. I also think that if you do end up using it the police would be easier on someone who had a Garand as opposed to an AK or even an AR.
Just my opinion.....

+1 Get a banged up greek, Tanker-fi it and convert it to .308

ETA I have a SG SA 1942 that I would NEVER do this to!
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
There have been several discussions about trunk guns, and after the shooting in Tyler, TX I'm convinced that keeping a rifle in the trunk is worth while.

What about using a rack grade garand from the CMP? I'm thinking cheap, reliable and plenty of firepower. Are these things in that horrible shape? I'm not talking about a museum piece, I'm talking about having a good shooter that'll send a badguy to a warmer climate.

Get a SKS for that kind of duty.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 1:24:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Why not go to a pawn shop and pick up a cheap lever action (Marlin or Winchester) in thutty thutty(30-30)?  Its a very PC rifle, and would do a number on a armor wearing baddy.  Thutty thutty can be accurate out to 200 yards.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 6:12:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Why would anyone want to use an irreplaceable piece of history as a "beater" trunk gun?

There are plenty of other rifles out there that are lighter, more compact, cheaper, just as reliable, and weren't carried by American soldiers during the greatest war of the past century.

My personal favorite trunk gun is the Saiga "Sporter". It's Russian-made AK variant that costs under $170 brand-new. Reliable, light as a feather, compact, has a rust-resistant finish and chrome-lined barrel, and shoots the potent 7.62 x 39 AK round. The conventional stock and low-cap magazine give it an inoffensive, PC look.

img239.exs.cx/img239/3719/saigasporter9gx.jpg

I would have to agree with Skibane.  A good Saiga rifle in 7.62x39 or 7.62x51 would be great.  The other rifle I would consider is a Century Arms G3.

Since I live in Illinois, a trunk gun would require detachable mags in order to maintain a degree of readiness.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top