Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/20/2018 8:12:35 AM EDT
Racist font used in attack ad against Korean American candidate, Democrats say

State Democrats are accusing their Republican counterparts of distributing a "racist" ad targeting Democratic challenger Andy Kim, a Korean American. Kim is running against two-term Republican incumbent Tom MacArthur.

The ad features a photo of several whole fish on ice with the caption "There's something Real Fishy about Andy Kim."

"Real Fishy" and "Andy Kim" are spelled out in a type font a Democratic spokeswoman said is called "Chop Suey," and is often associated with Chinese food stores or Asian films.
View Quote
Well this is the first time I have ever herd of a "Chop Suey" font.

I think the democrats need to have a summit and make a list of everything that it racist then make it public so everyone will know.

Oh wait, I will do it for them:

Everything!
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Yellow journalism?
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Everything I don't like is racist.
- Every Democrat
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#3]
It's racist to call an Asian an Asian.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:20:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Is the term "Roof Korean" racist?

because, Roof Korean is BEST Korean!
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:26:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Apparently it was an issue during a political campaign back in 2012 too

https://www.good.is/articles/how-chop-suey-fonts-sell-a-fictional-china

The people of Michigan played witness to a local firestorm after Republican former U.S. representative Pete Hoekstra unveiled a new campaign ad aimed at unseating current Michigan senator Debbie Stabenow. Accusing Stabenow of supporting legislation that sent American jobs to China, Hoekstra's ad featured a young Chinese woman riding her bike through rice paddy fields, speaking broken English to the camera: "Your economy get very weak. Ours get very good."

The site design also featured several typefaces that mimic East Asian calligraphy. Known in graphic design as "chop suey fonts," this style of typeface is an American invention that has long been used to sell China to western audiences. With its roots in turn-of-the-century San Francisco Chinatown, chop suey fonts prevailed as an intentional misrepresentation of China used for dramatic effect by graphic designers, Chinese immigrants, and now, politicians.

Hoesktra’s camp emphatically defended the ad campaign at first, leaving the website up for days after it began to attract criticism. But things took a turn for the worse when a Reddit user   discovered the tag “yellowgirl” in the site’s source code, evidently referring to an embedded image of the Asian actress who appears in the commercial.

Hoekstra’s use of chop suey fonts and other racially charged imagery shines a light on the stereotypes that still exist within every part of society, including the political and graphic design worlds. “Ethnic” typefaces, though often only found on sketchy websites offering free font downloads, survive today simply because they are good at what they do: distill an entire culture into a typographical aesthetic that becomes a signifier to the uninitiated.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#6]
MacArthur running against an Asian candidate can make for some serious meme material.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#7]
YouTube Andy Kim Rock me gently 2
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Idk, that's the font I use for printing Chinese takeout menus. There's nothing racist about a font.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Not gonna lie, I actually kinda see this one.

Not extremely overt, but it’s getting close. There’s a million fonts to choose from, don’t pick one that gives these dipshits ammunition
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
MacArthur running against an Asian candidate can make for some serious meme material.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#13]
His next add should be done in WingDing font
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#14]
So, wait... are you guys seriously trying to pretend that font wasn’t an effort to highlight / emphasise the man’s race?
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So, wait... are you guys seriously trying to pretend that font wasn’t an effort to highlight / emphasise the man’s race?
View Quote
@Bohr_Adam

9/13 posters not including OP posted either in agreement with the Dems or made jokes highlighting some aspect of the racial connotations like McArthur vs Asians.

You're aware that you're not required to play the self-righteously morally/intellectually superior bit 100% of the time, right?
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Chop Suey is Chinese, not Korean.
Suggest kimchi font for the next attack.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not extremely overt, but it’s getting close. There’s a million fonts to choose from, don’t pick one that gives these dipshits ammunition
View Quote
On the other side of the coin I would think one would have to have a racist mind set to apply racist conatations to a font.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm getting more of a 1970s tiki bar vibe off that font

ETA:

Link Posted: 9/20/2018 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Yea....

Link Posted: 9/20/2018 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Not seeing the Chop Suey in that font.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
On the other side of the coin I would think one would have to have a racist mind set to apply racist conatations to a font.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's very close to the font used on Chinese takeout menu's, used in a political attack add against an ethnic asian with the added bonus that he's got a picture with fish heads front an center. Fish head is a fairly well known ethnic slur for asians.

Dude who made this would need a dictionary, a compass and a map to even have a chance at finding the definition of subtle.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#22]
So allegations of tax evasion go unchallenged but font racism is attacked.  Cool. I like it. Let's go with that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#23]
There's no such thing as racism anymore.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's racist to call an Asian an Asian.  
View Quote
Yes appearently, but only if they are Asian...
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Believing something is racist, is racist
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
- Every Democrat
View Quote
holy fuck, so true
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
- Every Democrat
View Quote
Fuck Dems
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Rooftop Korean reporting in!

Racist? nah....but dumb shit like that leaves it open to interpretation.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Exposing the truth about leftist is Racist just like exposing the truth about Islam is Islamophobia.

Crying racism is the only way they can counter that ad.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#30]
This is retarded on so many levels I can't even. So rather than confronting the opponent with his legal/ethical issues, you know, shit that actually matters, they decide to get edgy and slander it with chinese menu fonts and pictures of fishheads. Let that sink in. This would be no different than someone attacking a black candidate with posters of him/her eating fried chicken and watermelons.

I get that GD has a handicapped bias sometimes, but shit like this doesn't advance the conservative narrative of, "the democrats are the real racists!" Surprise, racism exists on both sides, just some more overt than others.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#31]
the font on the actual add seems more like 70's/80's tv sitcom titles, or like that 70's show. and his name isnt in the same font so its a weak arguement. nvm its on the bottom but still
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#32]
RACIST AFTERSHAVE!!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#33]
I could careless what the democrats say is racist.

Only thing I care about is when the right figures out the ballot box is worthless and we go to the cartridge box and rid ourselves out the cancer that is the left. That is the only way in the long term to save out great nation and right this ship.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yellow journalism?
View Quote
I see what you did there...
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Not seeing the Chop Suey in that font.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#37]
if everything is racist

nothing is racist
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
@Bohr_Adam

9/13 posters not including OP posted either in agreement with the Dems or made jokes highlighting some aspect of the racial connotations like McArthur vs Asians.

You're aware that you're not required to play the self-righteously morally/intellectually superior bit 100% of the time, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Bohr_Adam

I’m obviously referring to those in denial here.

But, keep playing your game. Threads like this, and responses like yours, entertain me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

But, keep playing your game. Threads like this, and responses like yours, entertain me.
View Quote
Are you being repressed?
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Are you being repressed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you being repressed?
No. Just not being obtuse. Try it some time.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#41]
I didn’t see any thing waycyst about it and I’m resident Arfcom’s Asian.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
You should look at your avatar more often. Perhaps Patsy could help you remove the stick that is firmly planted...
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#43]
OK, that's pretty bad.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You should look at your avatar more often. Perhaps Patsy could help you remove the stick that is firmly planted...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Recognizing the plain and obvious fact that the add deliberately plays on stereotypes and the ethnicity of the opponent, therefore detracting from the message and giving ammunition to that same opponent, is hardly the same thing as suggesting anyone is being oppressed.

Not that I would expect you to understand.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Don't see it
What fake out rage can they come up with next
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So allegations of tax evasion go unchallenged but font racism is attacked.  Cool. I like it. Let's go with that.
View Quote
Its ok if an Asian evades taxes.  If anyone criticizes the actions of a minority, it will lead to mass scale genocide.  They are practically Sovereign.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Bohr_Adam

Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#48]
I am surprised none of them have thought of calling he trade war against China racist
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Half-Korean here.

I don't give a good god damn if the son of a bitch is called a slant eyed gook chink faggot in 50 point font on the front page of the failing New York Times.

We're at war.  Democrats are the enemy and they should be defeated by any means necessary.

Racist?  Mean?  Fuck em.  Whatever it takes.  Fuck. Them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 1:35:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
"Real Fishy" and "Andy Kim" are spelled out in a type font a Democratic spokeswoman said is called "Chop Suey," and is often associated with Chinese food stores or Asian films.
View Quote
View Quote
As usual, the Dems just make up bullshit.  THIS is the "Chop Suey" font:

It looks NOTHING like the font that was used in the flyer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top